• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do millenial groups at night usually not talk to you?

OldBay

During the day it seems that people are more chatty.
Older people tend to be more chatty.
People by themselves tend to be more chatty.

The least chatty people: Night time, groups, young. IME.

They will get into your car, make a perfunctory introduction, then bury themselves in their phones, occasionally talking to each other about "likes", or "hey did you see ____ on instagram"? Of course never a tip.

In the rearview, all I see is faces illuminated by their phones.

These are the most draining trips.

troothequalstroll

1st day in 2015 drove till 7:30pm got my first xl request 7 of em, even though only room for 6, all took a water, no tip, 2 mile ride

Haven't drove past 5pm since unless it's a scheduled off app regular

Pretty much learned everything first day it's like touching a hot stove once is all it takes for me, haven't picked up at a Walmart, mall, bar, church, restaurant, club, school, rail station, bus stop, store... since back then only strategy you needed was stage at a hotel 30+ miles from airport ignore everything that wasn't one or said 3+ minutes away, they'd time you out but trips were plentiful so a few minutes you'd be back online, used to know every hotel worth picking up by address as they used to show it

Took a seat out & work early morning shift less than 3 times a year do I get 6 people and I just cancel those, 6+ never going to airport

Some talk some don't have had couples & entire families all buried in their phones not utter more than a few words & most trips about 40 minutes & others chat it up the whole time

Last edited:

Invisible

Most of the time, they talk to me day and night. I’ve had some fun groups. Wed evening, I had a group of millennials who were going to the bar.

They asked where I was from because they said I didn’t sound like I was from here. They were making fun of how I spoke. I just laughed, especially because I hear that a lot.
I said I’ll have to tone down my accent. They said no; crank it up because it’s hilarious.

They were fun pax and we’re telling me about the cool bars to go to. When they got out, they said thanks for the fun ride, and they tipped.

Last edited:

OldBay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most of the time, they talk to me at day and night. I’ve had some fun groups. Wed evening, I had a group of millennials who were going to the bar.

They asked where I was from because they said I didn’t sound like I was from here. They were making fun of how I spoke. I just laughed, especially because I hear that a lot.
I said I’ll have to tone down my accent. They said no; crank it up because it’s hilarious.

They were fun pax and we’re telling me about the cool bars to go to. When they got out, they said thanks for the fun ride, and they tipped.
Ive had some of them, but now that its gotten dark early, much less conversation.

G.S.M.

They will get into your car, make a perfunctory introduction, then bury themselves in their phones, occasionally talking to each other about "likes", or "hey did you see ____ on instagram"? Of course never a tip.

When you ask "How are you today?"

They respond with "Im great, thank you for asking" to cut you off

O-Side Uber

Opposite for me. Once the sun goes down my pax constantly talk to me to make sure I’m not going to harm them. 🔪 Daytime they are usually focusing on work stuff or playing on their phone. Not much day talking.

G.S.M.

Opposite for me. Once the sun goes down my pax constantly talk to me to make sure I’m not going to harm them. 🔪 Daytime they are usually focusing on work stuff or playing on their phone. Not much day talking.
I hate those talkity women that are just feeling you out to make sure they dont get abducted or raped

They are so nice and interested, and as soon as you get to their dropoff their are like yeah whatever bye

New2This

When their noses are buried in their phones it's a subliminal message "Please Longhaul My Ass"

Johnny Mnemonic

Google: Social Silo

Astoundingly common in millennials and even more so in college students.

Invisible

Ive had some of them, but now that its gotten dark early, much less conversation.
This was 11pm on Wed. I’m a talkative person, so maybe it makes a difference. But the ones with ear buds in, I don’t talk to them until they talk first.

mch

50/50. It seems like they’re more interested in talking to me when it’s a group of all dudes or all girls. When they’re mixed together it seems like they talk to each other more.
Post automatically merged:

They talk to me..because I'm one. Also because of my East Coast accent. Its different so therefore it's cool and they want to hear more. One girl even asked to record me for her voicemail message.
Not to brag but most of the time they think I’m one of them, maybe slightly older and are surprised when they learn I’m actually an old man😂

ANiME

True statement!

I myself mentioned it to many people and even had this conversation with one of my passengers when he asked what shifts do I prefer. People in the morning seems to be more calm and chatty. And I always come to this conclusion that people in during the day (Early Daytime) have more energy, they had plenty of rest, well most of them at least. And if you are the kind of person who drinks coffee then you are a caffeine addict without a single doubt. So I believe the caffeine cheer them up and give them that excitement of being hyper active, etc...

where as for people at the end of the day, they are drained out. They don’t have a lot of energy, or maybe they had a long exhausting day.

So, simply I always assume the person is tired or had a bad day and they don’t want to talk, they simply want to get going and reach their desired destinations in peace.

driving for many years now, I developed my kind of way of engaging people to talk or knowing if they want talk or prefer to stay quite. It got much easier to read people along the years and I always try my best to create that comfortable, relaxing atmosphere for every passenger I get. And it’s very simple to determine those situations, it’s one of the methods that I use and it never let me down, simply when you pick up a passenger: say Hello “how are you”?, confirm passengers name, confirm his destination, and last but not least ask about their day. At that exact moment most of the passengers start talking, and pretty much conversation doesn’t end until You drop them off. And if the passenger doesn’t want to talk, they simply reply to your question and stay quite. And that’s how you would know that passengers doesn’t want to talk. And It all comes down on your communication skills. If you’re a good communicator and open to talk about any topic but one important remark is ALWAYS Stay positive and professional. Don’t take anything personally, even if that person is rude or disrespectful. Keep smiling and stay in a positive mood while knowing that this passenger you’re going to drop off, and you will never see him again in your life. Only time you would react if your life is in danger and you’re being threatened, then act fast and call the authorities.

and to be honest I enjoy quite rides as much as I enjoy having great conversations with everyone.

Mkang14

I think people normally connect more with those in their age range (give or take 5 or 6 years). They get your jokes, your references. I love those rides where for the most part just laughter and great stories. Younger gen x and older millennial are the best tippers. The backstreet boys/ n sync era 😂

A lot of younger millennials/ older gen z are VERY anti social. They always say hi and smile but I can tell they are hoping you dont ask a follow up question lol. Almost as if they have no real ability to conversate.

Older pax are great as well. Most are not shy and use to dealing with humans face to face.

ANiME

I think people normally connect more with those in their age range (give or take 5 or 6 years). They get your jokes, your references. I love those rides where for the most part just laughter and great stories. Younger gen x and older millennial are the best tippers. The backstreet boys/ n sync era 😂

A lot of younger millennials/ older gen z are VERY anti social. They always say hi and smile but I can tell they are hoping you dont ask a follow up question lol. Almost as if they have no real ability to conversate.

Older pax are great as well. Most are not shy and use to dealing with humans face to face.
Facts!
gen Z for some reason doesn’t communicate much. But I wouldn’t generalize it, I’ve met some who were awesome. But one thing for sure they give a bad tip or no tips at all.

I am 29, and my favorite conversations Are with people above 40’s. My last best conversation was with a 87 year old lady. Trip lasted 1h23 minutes

Last edited:

Mkang14

Facts!
gen Z for some reason doesn’t communicate much. But I wouldn’t generalize it, I’ve some who were awesome. But one thing for sure they give a bad tip or no tips at all.

I am 29, and my favorite conversations Are with people above 40’s. My last best conversation was with a 87 year old lady. Trip lasted 1h23 minutes
Gen Z and Early millennial grew up around social media so I dont blame then for their lack of social skills and eye contact. Some of the sweetest, most accepting age range.

I agree its a lot easier to speak with the older generation that's for sure.

UbaBrah

I transport almost exclusively Gen Z. Millennials are in fact a bit older. Hell, I'm a millennial and I can hold a great conversation with just about anyone. But that's because I grew up with Windows 3.1 and 95. Try sticking that shit in your pocket. But yeah, on the whole they will talk to me. They're usually going to the bar so they will often include me as part of their evening. It's usually the people on their own going across town late at night that don't talk.