• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do I need Off the Record to fight my tickets

SteelSox

I got two tickets the other day. One for "Failure to Obey Signals Signs or Directions" and the other for "Traffic on Marked Lanes - Center Lane Violation." It was about 5 a.m., and the right side of a road was blocked by police just after an intersection. There was an arrow sign pointing left, but I took that to mean that I could go around the road block and re-enter the right side of the road beyond the road block. It would have helped if the sign said "Detour" or if there was an officer directing traffic instead of sitting in his car. I've set a court date to contest these tickets, so my question is do I really need OTR to get me a lawyer or can I just go and plead my case on my own?

ZenUber

I got two tickets the other day. One for "Failure to Obey Signals Signs or Directions" and the other for "Traffic on Marked Lanes - Center Lane Violation." It was about 5 a.m., and the right side of a road was blocked by police just after an intersection. There was an arrow sign pointing left, but I took that to mean that I could go around the road block and re-enter the right side of the road beyond the road block. It would have helped if the sign said "Detour" or if there was an officer directing traffic instead of sitting in his car. I've set a court date to contest these tickets, so my question is do I really need OTR to get me a lawyer or can I just go and plead my case on my own?
I contested one on my own and got a $300 ticket down to $20. I think I could have gotten it down to $0 If I knew what I was doing. But I can tell you this. Be respectful when referring to any police officers, construction workers, and to the judge. Respect will get you some understanding. Disrespect might get you a higher fine. That was actually the advise the Judge gave me! You could possibly go in with a drawing of the intersection (photos would help), and a respectful explanation of how the signage was ambiguous and unclear. Rehearse your case and be prepared.

Ssgcraig

I contested one on my own and got a $300 ticket down to $20. I think I could have gotten it down to $0 If I knew what I was doing. But I can tell you this. Be respectful when referring to any police officers, construction workers, and to the judge. Respect will get you some understanding. Disrespect might get you a higher fine. That was actually the advise the Judge gave me! You could possibly go in with a drawing of the intersection (photos would help), and a respectful explanation of how the signage was ambiguous and unclear. Rehearse your case and be prepared.
What he said. You will appear before a Magistrate, with a LE that will run your driving history. Plead your case, don't be a masshole. Getting a ticket reduced still means you committed the offense, therefore on your driving record. FYI

SteelSox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@ZenUber I didn't get any pictures of the scene because I didn't think to do it. I was all worried about getting deactivated and I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. On top of that, the cop told me to take a U-turn out of there after giving me the ticket and about a minute later, when he was back in his car, told me again to take the U-turn over his speaker because I guess I wasn't getting out of there fast enough for him.

SatMan

Dash Cam snapshots would be nice.....