Do Drivers That TAILGATE Bother You? What Do You Do About It?

Kurt Halfyard

Author
A recent incident (Early May, 2019) on the 410 to Brampton in the High Occupancy Lanes highlights the speed differential, and tailgating problem in the Greater Toronto Area.
  • How Close to do you drive to other people on the Highway?
  • Do you leave the passing lanes (leftmost lanes) open, or do you just pick a lane and drive?
  • What do you do when you have an impatient driver tailgating with less than a car length at 120kph speeds?

https://globalnews.ca/video/embed/5279541/

WillC

I easy on the gas pedal until down to the posted speed limit. I don't drive slow and I keep a comfortable distance to the car in front of me. If the car behind me is impatient, too bad. It can take another lane.

Actionjax

A quick pull of the emergency brake and they get the point after they pee their pants when they almost hit you.
Post automatically merged:

I easy on the gas pedal until down to the posted speed limit. I don't drive slow and I keep a comfortable distance to the car in front of me. If the car behind me is impatient, too bad. It can take another lane.
I hope you are not doing that in the passing lane.

ryan137

I did my driver's ed at Young Drivers. I was taught to leave 2 seconds of following distance on freeways, 3 seconds on freeway ramps, and 4 seconds on regular roads (increase when driving conditions are not ideal of course).

They also taught "covering the brake" (depress brake pedal just enough to activate the brake lights but not enough to engage the brake pads) to deal with tailgaters. They will eventually pass you as your speed will continue to decrease as you coast. Even until they decide to pass you, you are still increasing your safety by increasing your following distance at the same time. That way you get extra stopping distance to keep the idiot from rear-ending you in case the car in front of you suddenly slows down or stops.

So far doing these things has served me well.

Also it's just plain fun to piss off tailgaters by doing the opposite of what they want you to do.

Last edited:

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My de-escalation method works suprisingly well:

I do not tap the brakes.
I generally change lanes and get out of the way if possible.

If it isn't possible in heavy traffic, I just click on my 4-ways.
Other driver usually 'snaps out of it' and slows down, because they have no idea what is 'wrong with my car.'
THIS WORKS!

dmoney155

Nothing spooks the tailgater more than pulling on a hand brake. Gotta be quick at flooring the gas though to avoid rear end collision.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Nothing spooks the tailgater more than pulling on a hand brake. Gotta be quick at flooring the gas though to avoid rear end collision.
This is where having an oilslick feature on the car would be real nice. Just spray the pavement with oil and all the tailgators will be spinning 180 when they lose control.:coolio::coolio::coolio::coolio:

Chaisomosa

My de-escalation method works suprisingly well:

I do not tap the brakes.
I generally change lanes and get out of the way if possible.

If it isn't possible in heavy traffic, I just click on my 4-ways.
Other driver usually 'snaps out of it' and slows down, because they have no idea what is 'wrong with my car.'
THIS WORKS!
Same here. I change the lane if safe....
Usually if there is no one infront of me and someone behind me, I move to the right lane

Speedy_Gonzales

No matter how fast I am driving, if I notice headlights coming up quick behind me, I move over to the right so they can safety fly by. Im
Not a police officer and im
Not on the roads to dictate how fast they should be going. I move out of the way. BUT, if the highway is full and I’m following traffic properly in the fast lane, I’ll brake check the creep tailgating me.

But mostly, I avoid confrontation on the roads as there are so many crazy people that have guns and will bust some shots at you if you are a prick to them. Mind your own business is best, even apologize if you must. Stay safe
Post automatically merged:

Cowwy

I have created a ninja spikes compartment at the back of my car. In one press of the button, the compartment opens few spikes drop on the ground and the tailgater would be no more.

Aj-uber

I usually move over to slow lane if i see a speeder. But there are aholes too. I got a tailgating when i was taking the eastern ave dvp ramp. I was going around 40km/hour and the black bmw kept honking me to go fast. I slowed down to below 10km/hour and took him more than double the time to get off the ramp. He started honking and tailgating till the dvp bayview exit. I was lucky the dude didnt had a gun.

phreeradical

Most european made cars have rear fog lights that illuminate the brake lights...most people assume you’re braking and back off while you continue at the same speed....if that doesn’t work i spray some wd-40 out my sunroof

Underground

Once got tailgated at 140.. the girl was on fire! I usually change lane and let go. If in mood then I play "catch me if you can".

Fritz96

You're an idiot. Cop should have given both of you a ticket.

I usually move over to slow lane if i see a speeder. But there are aholes too. I got a tailgating when i was taking the eastern ave dvp ramp. I was going around 40km/hour and the black bmw kept honking me to go fast. I slowed down to below 10km/hour and took him more than double the time to get off the ramp. He started honking and tailgating till the dvp bayview exit. I was lucky the dude didnt had a gun.

Aj-uber

You said you slowed down to 10km/h. When you're dealing with an aggressive driver (or really any aggressive person) it's best to de-escalate matters.
Maybe next time he wont honk at anyone
You said you slowed down to 10km/h. When you're dealing with an aggressive driver (or really any aggressive person) it's best to de-escalate matters.
its best to drive accordingly. I always get annoyed by drivers who honks for minor reasons. Yesterday i got honked for waiting less than 5 sec to take a free right turn. I took the turn aligned behind the honker and waited till he made a small mistake. Guess what he fled the scene after i honked at him for making a minor mistake. Sometimes its best to teach some idiot drivers how annoying its to get a honking.