• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Do any Uberx drivers in Atlanta have luck picking up at the airport?

JoelQ

Do any Uberx drivers in Atlanta have any luck picking up at the airport? Do you wait in the cell phone lot?

mikatl55

Then why even reply...
Got a ping just as I got on to interstate heading back into city after dropping of at ATL. Was able to exit quickly so I accepted it and returned to pickup.

I had not planned to wait around...circled 2x after drop off and was heading away. No experience with cellphone lot.

rtaatl

I see some pick up...I see others getting busted right in front of me, lol! UberX drivers aren't too hard to pick out in a crowd.

UberJazz

I did a drop off about 3am one morning and as soon as I left and got on the freeway, I got a ping from the exact location I dropped off. I accepted and headed back, but had a weird feeling as I got closer to the pickup spot. I could see the rider plus several police cars that were not there a few minutes before, so I called the rider and then canceled. I think I avoided a sting!!!

UberLuber

If I picked up at the airport, I would call the passenger to confirm their pickup location (Door # such as S6). Tell them the color and make of your vehicle.
Anyone who doesn't answer, cancel. Any sketchy details about a pickup location, cancel.
And don't hang your phone on your windshield with the app running.
That's what I would do if I picked up at the airport.

BurgerTiime

You can get away with it once or twice but believe me the camera system they have takes every single plate and runs it through a data base. Come though often enough and it will be flagged and eyes will be upon you. :rolleyes:

Uber-Chuck

BUMP .... Two UBERX PAX in a row are telling me, since Sept 1st, 2015 UBER pickups are not being ticketed at ATL. I assume they read an article somewhere. They also say it has not been publically annouced by the Atlanta government to avoid an overun of UBERX drivers in Arrival/Pickup Area (i assume until legislation on Rideshare from ATL is finalized restrictions on UberX airport pickups are not being enforced but thats a guess on my part. Or they could be refering to the fact they manage to easily find UBERx pickups, which is just peaple willing to accept the risk for an airport pickup

Yesterday i did a Airport pickup from the cell lot ... picked up PAX in departure arrival easily. (vs drive home 15 to 30 dead miles). Felt good, because that one pickup made me most profitable day. After I got home I decided to be safe and research if any changes in airport pickups.....But multiple web searches have not shown anything confirming what the 2 or 3 PAX told me about UberX being allowed to do pick-up. I mostly found older post about if one is UberX do airport pickups if at your own risk.

If i am still at risk of getting my car IMPOIUNDED its not worth the lost wages, frustrations and fees to get my car back (even if Uber does the ticket) on the other hand if what these PAX telling is true i can easily make an extra 30 a day .... and that results in easily making my child support payments (800/month).

Also, I live north of Atlanta/Marietta .... if pickups from the airport are still off limits does anyone have suggestions for how an Atlanta uber driver can reduce these dead miles.

Avi-ator

Wow, I did this the other night in complete innocence, right in front of the terminal at the drive up drop off/pick up area, directly in front of a cop with his flashing lights on! I was on the phone at that time with the pax, but I use an in ear Bluetooth so it was not obvious. By the time I pulled up, she knew exactly how to ID me, I jumped out, opened trunk, she approached immediately, we loaded up, and off I went, very seamless.

Now here's the obvious question, if UberX drivers are not allowed to do airport pickups, why allow pax to ping them?

JimS

Wow, I did this the other night in complete innocence, right in front of the terminal at the drive up drop off/pick up area, directly in front of a cop with his flashing lights on! I was on the phone at that time with the pax, but I use an in ear Bluetooth so it was not obvious. By the time I pulled up, she knew exactly how to ID me, I jumped out, opened trunk, she approached immediately, we loaded up, and off I went, very seamless.

Now here's the obvious question, if UberX drivers are not allowed to do airport pickups, why allow pax to ping them?
Hi there, Avi-ator. Thanks for writing in. Happy to help.

Uber doesn't want to lose any revenue for any reason. They don't care about the law, and expect you to maintain a full understanding of when and where you can legally pick up. Uber has relationships with many airports, but not ATL. Sometimes if you are cited working in an illegal area that Uber wants to exploit, they may, at their discretion choose to reimburse you for the fine. But they will not buy you a new car if it gets impounded.

rtaatl

VFH was camping out down in lower level this afternoon....don't know what those passengers are talking about. Some of the general APD aren't looking for it, but airport ops, ground transportation, and VFH are quick to pull up on Uber drivers.

Avi-ator

It is unfortunate that they would allow their drivers to receive these pings when simultaneously pressured with acceptance rates. They obviously have the ability to geofence the airport which they've used to show this msg to arriving riders: [Welcome to Atlanta, request when ready, Uber Black picks up on lower level only] Not explicitly clear that UberX pickups aren't allowed so it's up to the drivers to contact the pax and ask them to cancel and ping Black. Shortsighted on Uber's part that drivers are responsible for communicating this important nugget to the pax.