Do any drivers here rate riders according to tip?

AmbiguousAnt

I've learned after reading threads here and on Reddit that on the mainland drivers rate riders down if they don't tip. Yet it seems that every pax I pick up is rated 5 stars somehow and only one out of 10 rides tip. Often riders tip days after the ride, and many times hours after the ride. Obviously most of our riders are international tourists so our market is unique. Is there a way for us to use that rating system here for our benefit? At this point I'm prompted to rate the rider immediately after the ride ends and I don't know if I will receive a tip or not- very few pax tip cash. It seems like in some cities the pax are scared not to tip because they don't want their rating to go down.

Fozzie

I tip based on profitability. If you made enough and would drive them again, drop em' 5 stars and hope you get paired again in the future. If you wasted your time taking them/lost money, drop a 1* rating and ensure that they won't cost you money again in the future.

wicked

I’m with Fozzie on this one! It’s all about the money. The pax need to know that there are consequences for shafting you after you provide a service for them.

Airport without cash tip is 1star. Talking about 5 stars means that the pax was looking for a reason to downrate you or trying to rationalize to themselves that five stars is more important than a tip. If they talk about what a big tip they will give you, or mention tipping in the app, 1 star.

Help other drivers out by putting passengers that lack integrity where they belong- on the bus.

The anonymity of the system is what makes pax think it’s okay to stiff you.

AmbiguousAnt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you had pax who you gave you a low rating do the same to you as a retaliation? Apparently they are forced to rate their last driver before they can order next ride so if their rating went down they know it was their last driver/ unlike us drivers who can’t tell because we give so many rides in a day.

AmbiguousAnt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok! Maybe I will start to be honest with my ratings of pax. Right now I’m rating everyone “5” unless they are downright rude. I have MANY rides to the airport with no tip and some with a $1-2 tip in the app - all of which I think is really bad manners. And as others have said - it’s the low income pax who tip cash and $5-$10 and the pax going to and from mansions and exclusive hotels who don’t tip at all!! So sick of it! I had to take a guy from market city Foodland up to the top of St Louis heights yesterday and got $5 for my trouble. He was a nice guy but that ride cost me $ on wear and tear on my breaks and bad use of time.
Post automatically merged:

Actually I got less than $5!

Amos69

Ok! Maybe I will start to be honest with my ratings of pax. Right now I’m rating everyone “5” unless they are downright rude. I have MANY rides to the airport with no tip and some with a $1-2 tip in the app - all of which I think is really bad manners. And as others have said - it’s the low income pax who tip cash and $5-$10 and the pax going to and from mansions and exclusive hotels who don’t tip at all!! So sick of it! I had to take a guy from market city Foodland up to the top of St Louis heights yesterday and got $5 for my trouble. He was a nice guy but that ride cost me $ on wear and tear on my breaks and bad use of time.
Post automatically merged:

Actually I got less than $5!
Fozzie and I differ on this dramatically. I just see no reason to rate anyone who is not dangerous or disgustingly rude. Money is money and I am here to make Money not judge peoples situations. Five stars Yes I want you as a customer again. One star means I never want to see you again anywhere. There is no middle ground for me. My only exception are DT Seattle passengers leaving work and Goobering home to west Seattle. They just get in my filters way on AP runs.

father of unicorns

"Ratings protection" is supposed to prevent revenge ratings, since passengers shouldn't be able to see the changes from your rating until AFTER they've rated you.
I have the rider app, and it does not show my rating. But as a driver, I can see rider's rating. So basically the rider may never know what their rating is.

Fozzie

I have the rider app, and it does not show my rating. But as a driver, I can see rider's rating. So basically the rider may never know what their rating is.
The Lyft app doesn't show passengers their rating, negating the need to worry about revenge ratings.

The Uber app DOES show passengers their rating, but "ratings protection" should prevent problems.

HNLDriver

I keep my ratings simple - short trip equals a 1 or 2 stars. Long trip equals 5. I never pick up lower than 4.8 unless the app shows 45 minute trip