DNC in Philly (Totally not worth it)

jaien39

Traffic jam. dumb pax request in area that you cant even get into.
I will do it if there is 4x surge or more. anything less is just big waste of time and stupid.

jaien39

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
too many unknowns in DNC area.
too many young cops ready to shot.
too many protesters ready for war.
too much traffic jams will just kill your time even if you are doing 3x surge.
too many dumb pax will request areas you cant get into.

MiddleClassedOut

Is Uber doing guarantees for the week? Lyft is, but like I said in another post, Philly is too poor. There are simply too many drivers. The DNC will probably bring demand levels back to what they were in May before school let out, then back to making $5/hr. And you have even more drivers FOR the DNC, people who have quit expecting to get some decent pay for once.

The best thing you can do is continually pull off your fellow drivers while waiting for requests...More requests will cause some surge. Pick them off for 5 minutes, set a timer for 4 mins and send them away from you so you can get requests. It's hard to do on Lyft because the app is the same, but there are ways.

While doing this lately I am seeing a lot of 4.9 and 5.0 drivers, almost certainly noobs, including fresh-faced white women. They are the ones to target, a few cancels and they will get frustrated after they see they've made $6.40 for an hour.

MiddleClassedOut

It's war. It's business. Within the bounds of the law, anything is permissible. Be relentless and ruthless. If you're not using every tool at your disposal to make more money, you are not cut out for this business.

Anyway, I tried with you guys to organize a year ago. There are very few Philly drivers on this forum anyway. In any case, no one was interested. So, I do what I need to do to make money, especially at certain times in Lyft heavy areas. Pax have told me repeatedly they choose which service to use based on closest car.

Last edited:
i
It's war. It's business. Within the bounds of the law, anything is permissible. Be relentless and ruthless. If you're not using every tool at your disposal to make more money, you are not cut out for this business.

Anyway, I tried with you guys to organize a year ago. There are very few Philly drivers on this forum anyway. In any case, no one was interested. So, I do what I need to do to make money, especially at certain times in Lyft heavy areas. Pax have told me repeatedly they choose which service to use based on closest car.
I'm not surprised that drivers didn't respond to your organizing efforts last year. If you see Uber driving as a war where you need to be ruthless, I suspect that most people will not be inspired by that because most people prefer to operate with respect for others and do so honestly. As for me, of course I want to earn as much as possible -- both with Uber driving and other ways I earn money -- but not by harming others in the process. How about considering another approach where you can earn some good dough but not screwing other people in the process?

MiddleClassedOut

I did try last year...If we were all offline enough at certain times, we could create surge the way they do in Jersey. Couldn't get enough people to stay on the Zello channel. I contemplated union stuff.

But Americans are self-interested, and everyone thinks they're right, and they don't need others and they're going to make tons of money because they're SO much smarter. Well, my behavior now is fully justified given our winner-take-all hyper-capitalist culture. If you can't beat them, join them.

jaien39

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did try last year...If we were all offline enough at certain times, we could create surge the way they do in Jersey. Couldn't get enough people to stay on the Zello channel. I contemplated union stuff.

But Americans are self-interested, and everyone thinks they're right, and they don't need others and they're going to make tons of money because they're SO much smarter. Well, my behavior now is fully justified given our winner-take-all hyper-capitalist culture. If you can't beat them, join them.
Philly Uber Driver are just too dumb to create any kind of Surge. In Theory Surge is very easy to be created, thats why in Northern Jersey is almost always Surge every night.

UberwhoIaM

Philly Uber Driver are just too dumb to create any kind of Surge. In Theory Surge is very easy to be created, thats why in Northern Jersey is almost always Surge every night.

Absolutely correct. Philly surge is the way it is because everyone stays online 100% of the time. many drivers are online while sitting home waiting for pings when it gets slow. If the majority of drivers logged off and refused to drive non surge the system would kick in the it's designed.

nickd8775

NJ started surging often after the fare cuts. There are drivers making more after the fare cuts because they know how to cause a surge

Gonzozap

My cousin works at the Marriott in downtown Philly and they gave out maps & directions to the Broad Street subway for the DNC folks because so many streets are blocked. I was gonna drive, but I think it might not be worth it, especially if Uber rallied in drivers from hours away. I might try for a few hours on Tues or Wed as long as I can avoid rush hour.

BenG

Drove on Monday night hoping that the DNC would generate more Uber/Lyft traffic generally. If anything, I thought that demand "normal" evening requests plus the DNC demand would keep me busy. Meanwhile, the street closures, traffic jams, etc. meant that in the few cases I actually did get pinged, it was a chore to get around the detours to get pax to their destinations. On the night I mostly received pool requests. Pouring down rain in the early evening, the surge went to about 2.4, and I got one fare for 0.6 miles. Great. DNC TOTALLY not worth it. For me, anyway.