Disturbing comments about other drivers

ptuberx

In the last two weeks, I have noticed a disturbing and increasingly openness with riders who have issues with local drivers, and other observations. Just to name a few:

Picked up a rider two weeks ago, turns out he is a driver too, but his car was in the shop. He told me about a late-night driver who Uber'd him and was drunk, and by the time they reached their destination, the guy could barely talk, let alone drive in a straight line. I asked him "Did you report this to anyone?" He said "No, I didn't want to get him in trouble."

Picked up a rider last week, and she said a driver picked her and her friends up downtown, took her to her destination (her apartment), and to her shock after the driver let them out, the driver parked his car and followed them by foot into their building. She said she didn't realize this until she opened the door to her apartment, and this guy just walked in with the pax. They found it very uncomfortable and ultimately asked the guy to leave. I asked if she reported it, and she said the same thing, that she didn't know what to do because she was taken off-guard, and she didn't want to "get him in trouble."

Today, I got a ping when I was in West Des Moines. Seconds after I accepted the trip, the rider called me, and asked me if it was okay to take him to Altoona. I said "Sure, that is not a problem." He questioned me again to make sure it was okay, and he expressed that several drivers don't want to take him from WDSM to Altoona. I again told him that I had no problem with it, and I was just down the street to pick him up. When he got in the car, I asked him about this, and he said that he had a hard time getting drivers to drive that far: Apparently, his last "pick-up," he said that the driver arrived, he got in the car, and before the driver started the trip, he told the driver where he was going. The driver canceled his trip as a "no-show" and he 1-starred the driver and got his fare back. I drove him to Altoona tonight, the rider was pleasant and works in the service industry, and left a $10 tip on top of it for driving me to his destination.

Again today, I picked up three young ladies. They talked to me a little, but mostly amongst themselves. I took them 14 minutes from their location to downtown. Seven trips later, I received a ping that was a mile away from where I dropped them off, and it was the same ladies. When they got into my car, they literally said, "We were so glad it was you again, thank God!" I was a bit perplexed by this, since there was little to be had from their last trip when I took them downtown. It turns out, they left a positive comment for me from the first trip saying "Best Uber driver I have ever had!" ... They explained this to me on their second trip back home. Apparently, they claim that their latest encounters included (again) a driver inviting themselves into their home, etc. They again complimented me and thanked me for not being a "creeper."

Last trip tonight: I picked up a guy downtown, and I was hesitant at first. Rating was a 4.29... mathematically, that's a tough one to decide on. But, I took it. He got in the car and the guy was actually a decent fare, he wasn't obnoxious or anything else, good conversation, etc. Then it hit me... He lived on the far east-side, and I realized that he probably got dinged on his rating because other drivers hated his drop-off point. He also told me that his last driver (again) was flat-out drunk when he arrived.

Why keep punishing customers who live in the suburbs? I understand dropped pins and no-shows. I had 5 of them today. But, I have cleared over 600 trips in 5 weeks. Let the system work for you... if everyone did that, it would work out for everyone.

The last thing drivers need to do is alienate their customer pool, and give the rest of us a bad branding over it. If you don't want to take this "job" seriously, and treat people with respect, then please opt-out of it. Don't turn off the clientele and ruin it for the rest of us that actually enjoy looking forward to this income.

Dback2004

I think it's the results of the rate cut. Many of the "good" drivers have quit and Uber's ridiculous marketing keeps attracting more and more of what I'd call unqualified drivers who don't treat Uber as a professional gig and are out there giving the rest of us a bad name.

Ducky

I think Uber management wakes up every morning trying to figure out now to piss off and screw drivers.

HOWEVER, it is no excuse to treat riders badly or to be a creep. Riders do not want to hear your problems (with Uber or anything else).

Treat them like a friend. Use their first name. Enjoy your dinner! Have a great evening! etc.

If you are in this to pick up chicks, please quit!!!

ptuberx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Uber management wakes up every morning trying to figure out now to piss off and screw drivers.

HOWEVER, it is no excuse to treat riders badly or to be a creep. Riders do not want to hear your problems (with Uber or anything else).

Treat them like a friend. Use their first name. Enjoy your dinner! Have a great evening! etc.

If you are in this to pick up chicks, please quit!!!
That's exactly my take on it as well. I try to treat every rider with respect, a smile, and a nice welcome. Now, once in a while you come across a late-night rider who turns out to be the complete opposite of that, but it's a service industry, and putting your best foot forward usually leads to good things.

ptuberx

Well I find it disturbing that people are willing to drive at .65/mile. It plays right into uber's hand.
Then don't do it. What I find rewarding are $5, $10, $20 tips that come in here or there. Pays for gas and other expenses. Uber is what you make of it. Hang out in the same area with every other driver all the time, you probably won't make much. Hit the suburbs and cruze the interstates on trips, and let the app work for you, and watch your mpg and "income" climb fast. Or take a chance and hit the late-night crowd on short surges, but that's an entirely different thread.

Lando74

Then don't do it. What I find rewarding are $5, $10, $20 tips that come in here or there. Pays for gas and other expenses. Uber is what you make of it. Hang out in the same area with every other driver all the time, you probably won't make much. Hit the suburbs and cruze the interstates on trips, and let the app work for you, and watch your mpg and "income" climb fast. Or take a chance and hit the late-night crowd on short surges, but that's an entirely different thread.
It's a fair point though. If no one drove at base UberX rates they wouldn't be able to get away with keeping rates that low. It's also a fair point that every rate cut has brought waves of quitting drivers because it ceased to be worth it for them. I remember talking to a lot of drivers with very nice cars who couldn't do it for the lower price. Bottom line, you get what you pay for and 65¢ doesn't buy much.

WDM1wood

To me, the whole point is to get trips like WDM to Altoona. Those give a chance to earn $20 in an hour versus the usual $10.

Lando74

To me, the whole point is to get trips like WDM to Altoona. Those give a chance to earn $20 in an hour versus the usual $10.
Mathematically speaking, what are the odds of getting a trip from wdm to Altoona? And then getting a ping in Altoona? Slim to none. Yeah, it happens but it's rare. Without a return trip the fuel cost sinks in. This might all seem like negativity, but it's really just reality.

What you are absolutely right is singing a rider's rating or giving them attitude simply because their destination isn't appealing. The way I see it, don't take a trip request unless you're willing to go anywhere they want to go. If going far is an issue, wait for surge pricing to kick in so it's worth it. Otherwise shut up, smile, and don't ruin future business for the rest of us.

WDM1wood

There are plenty of pings to be had in Altoona, and when not, a trip back on Hubbell usually solves things quickly.

wk1102

Sometimes, people lie.

For example, the rider who got cancelled on because it was a long trip.

He did not get cancelled on and rate his driver 1☆.

ptuberx

There are plenty of pings to be had in Altoona, and when not, a trip back on Hubbell usually solves things quickly.
Exactly... I dropped the guy off, he left me a $20 tip. 5 minutes later, I got a ping that brought me right back in to DSM. I checked the Uber app, I was the only car in the area.

And that is what I told the rider... miles = money. Sure, you burn more gas, but it's far better than taking a rider 1 mile or less downtown and then waiting 15 minutes for another ping on a low payout. The rider in this case also left me a $20 tip. So for those who want to "hug" in one area only, they are missing out.

ptuberx

Sometimes, people lie.

For example, the rider who got cancelled on because it was a long trip.

He did not get cancelled on and rate his driver 1☆.
Your market is much different than the one I drive in, so I wouldn't "assume" anything. People cancel here on a regular basis, both riders and drivers.

reg barclay

Your market is much different than the one I drive in, so I wouldn't "assume" anything. People cancel here on a regular basis, both riders and drivers.
I think he means he couldn't have rated 1* because I don't think riders can rate if driver didn't swipe 'start trip'. With respect some of the other stuff also sounds fishy, not saying you are lying, maybe others lied to you. For example it sounds strange that any females would continue to roll the dice and use a company if one of it's drivers invited himself into their home.

ptuberx

I think he means he couldn't have rated 1* because I don't think riders can rate if driver didn't swipe 'start trip'. With respect some of the other stuff also sounds fishy, not saying you are lying, maybe others lied to you. For example it sounds strange that any females would continue to roll the dice and use a company if one of it's drivers invited himself into their home.
Again, your opinion may differ dependent on what market you are in. And I am not telling a "story" here. I've heard the same story about the same driver from multiple pax now.

And yes, riders can rate drivers in more than one way.

If you are commenting to call me out on this, please move on. I am not going to get into a childish game of defending something that you were not present for.

wk1102

Yes, if the driver doesn't start the trip and then cancels the trip, the rider does not get a chance to rate the driver.

Yes our markets are different but people's behavior doesn't vary that much. We have the same @@@@@@@ behavior. We also have the same rating system so stop. No one is saying you are lying, gullible maybe, but we aren't calling you a liar.

All I'm saying is people EVERYWHERE, have a tendency to .... exaggerate or outright lie. Some may miss remember and make the situation more than it was in their mind.

I cited the example of the guy rating the driver a 1 after a cancel because there is no way to rate a driver if he cancels a trip. The person telling you this story lied! Maybe it was a little embellishment or maybe he made the whole thing up, who knows...
Doesn't matter, it proves my point. Part to all of the story is fabricated. People embellish, exaggerate, miss remember, lie... when they tell stories. Take what you hear with a grain of salt, that's all I'm saying.

As far as the drunk driver, maybe it was low blood sugar. If he wasn't drinking during the trip and he got worse as the ride went on, that is my bet.

ptuberx

Yes, if the driver doesn't start the trip and then cancels the trip, the rider does not get a chance to rate the driver.

Yes our markets are different but people's behavior doesn't vary that much. We have the same @@@@@@@ behavior. We also have the same rating system so stop. No one is saying you are lying, gullible maybe, but we aren't calling you a liar.

All I'm saying is people EVERYWHERE, have a tendency to .... exaggerate or outright lie. Some may miss remember and make the situation more than it was in their mind.

I cited the example of the guy rating the driver a 1 after a cancel because there is no way to rate a driver if he cancels a trip. The person telling you this story lied! Maybe it was a little embellishment or maybe he made the whole thing up, who knows...
Doesn't matter, it proves my point. Part to all of the story is fabricated. People embellish, exaggerate, miss remember, lie... when they tell stories. Take what you hear with a grain of salt, that's all I'm saying.

As far as the drunk driver, maybe it was low blood sugar. If he wasn't drinking during the trip and he got worse as the ride went on, that is my bet.
The rider in this case had a legit story, and I've heard it multiple times in my market. He contacted Uber support, and they gave him the option to rate the driver. Just like the "ghost" message that some people get, that others never claim happen, yes I got one the other night saying that the rider was a bad one, and I would never be matched with him again.

Yes, I understand people lie all the time. But come on, I am a driver, I am not here telling fake stories. Get off of it.