1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

DISRUPTING UBER AND LYFT

Discussion in 'News' started by westsidebum, Oct 11, 2018.

1. The next wave of disruptive tech is here just as uber/lyft are poised to go public next year

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/10/origin-protocol/

A company called Origin is creating a decentralized marketplace where one can conduct peer to peer transactions and cut out the middleman such as Uber or airbnb utilizing bloc chain.

From article :

[​IMG]
    Origin launches protocol for building cheaper decentralized Ubers & Airbnbs
    Josh Constine@joshconstine / 10 hours ago
    [​IMG]
    The sharing economy ends up sharing a ton of labor’s earnings with middlemen like Uber and Airbnb, and $38 million-funded Origin wants the next great two-sided marketplace to be decentralized on the blockchain so drivers and riders or hosts and guests can connect directly and avoid paying steep fees that can range up to 20 percent or higher. So today Origin launches its decentralized marketplace protocol on the ethereum mainnet that replaces a central business that connects users and vendors with a smart contract.

“Marketplaces don’t redistribute the profits they make to members. They accrue to founders and venture capitalists,” said Origin co-founder Matt Liu, who was the third product manager at YouTube. “Building these decentralized marketplaces, we want to make them peer-to-peer, not peer-to-corporate-monopoly-to-peer.” When people transact through Origin, it plans to issue them tokens that will let them participate in the governance of the protocol, and could incentivize them to get on these marketplaces early as well as convince others to use them.

2. CvilleUber

CvilleUber

Driving:
    UberXL
    You would absolutely need extra insurance (whereas now it's a bit gray where my auto insurance ends and Uber's picks up).

Also - if you take Uber/Lyft out - who verifies drivers (at least makes sure they don't have suspended licenses and cars without insurance/registration)?

3. The real question is verification and insurance worth 25 percent of your earnings for ever?

4. CvilleUber

CvilleUber

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yes. Also a question of legality - Uber/Lyft have paid a lot of money to be a TNC partner across the world. I'm not sure ofthe local government's take on me taking money from riders based a contract between them and me. Sounds like a limousine/for-hire driver with none of the insurances/taxes/fees.

5. It's the original concept. A new business model. Either you adopt it as a tnc etc or go rogue until the regulations evolve

6. CvilleUber

CvilleUber

Driving:
    UberXL
    The Virginia DMV is pretty straight-forward: "A TNC partner may not accept payment of fares directly"

It's not an original concept - you'll need to create your own "for hire" company, then you can sign all the contracts you want. You won't be a TNC partner or driver - because there's no "network."

7. Encryption would make it totally a private transaction however it is a marketplace not a service so its possible individuals could comply with local laws

Yes and Origin is a marketplace not a rideshare service

8. The concept explained in interview with founders

9. what did i just read

10. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Cheaper lol. That's not what drivers need.