Discounted Fuel

malbi

In all my life as a licenced driver I haven't been bothered with comparing fuel prices at different service stations. I used my shopping dockets, but if I needed fuel I just pulled in a fueled up. Until now...

Driving for Uber has me fueling up about three times more than normal. So fuel costs are an issue. One service station close to me Metro Petroleum at 301 Nicholson Street Carlton I have used a couple of times. During the week I noticed that they had E10 for 99.9c/l. I thought Wow! Other stations around me were 10-15c dearer. I asked the guy in the shop why so cheap and he said that they have 5c/l off between 11pm and 5am. Bargain!

So last night I filled up again at 97.7c/l. Unleaded is 101.7c/l. I haven't seen anything better anywhere else.

Metro Petroleum has other service stations in Brunswick, Reservoir and Thomastown. I don't know if they offer the same deal. Apparently they are a company from NSW that wants to make an inroad into Victoria.

We might not always be near Carlton when we need fuel. It is near the CBD which most of us end up near most nights. I know I will be back at 301 Nicholson Street as often as I can.

Do you know of any other places that offer discount fuel to that level?

Graham J

Good one malbi, they also have one in Holmes Street Brunswick. The United in Nicholson Street about 200 metres north of the one you are referring to offers cheap fuel as well. The one in Brunswick is opposite a Shell station and it interesting to look at the two signs and see anything from 15 - 17 cents difference. I'd like to urge all drivers to sponsor these businesses and also buy a pie, drink or sandwich from them!

While we're on the subject I did a detailed test over about six weeks comparing E10 and 91Unleaded. Using E10 I consistently used about 13% more fuel than 91Unleaded. Speaking for myself, using E10 actually costs a lot more to run my car than 91Unleaded

Bob28

On Apple app store download Fuel map good app for petrol prices also track record for u fuel expenses update by users
also fuel Mate less petrol station but update more regularly i think RACV

sporadic

Metro Carlton's one of the best spots to refuel. Used to hit there up pretty frequently when I lived in Carlton.
In all my life as a licenced driver I haven't been bothered with comparing fuel prices at different service stations. I used my shopping dockets, but if I needed fuel I just pulled in a fueled up. Until now...

Driving for Uber has me fueling up about three times more than normal. So fuel costs are an issue. One service station close to me Metro Petroleum at 301 Nicholson Street Carlton I have used a couple of times. During the week I noticed that they had E10 for 99.9c/l. I thought Wow! Other stations around me were 10-15c dearer. I asked the guy in the shop why so cheap and he said that they have 5c/l off between 11pm and 5am. Bargain!

So last night I filled up again at 97.7c/l. Unleaded is 101.7c/l. I haven't seen anything better anywhere else.

Metro Petroleum has other service stations in Brunswick, Reservoir and Thomastown. I don't know if they offer the same deal. Apparently they are a company from NSW that wants to make an inroad into Victoria.

We might not always be near Carlton when we need fuel. It is near the CBD which most of us end up near most nights. I know I will be back at 301 Nicholson Street as often as I can.

Do you know of any other places that offer discount fuel to that level?

LevelX

I did a detailed test over about six weeks comparing E10 and 91Unleaded. Using E10 I consistently used about 13% more fuel than 91Unleaded. Speaking for myself, using E10 actually costs a lot more to run my car than 91Unleaded
Can confirm I've done a similar test, E10 usage was roughly about 10% increase for me compared to std unleaded.

So unless the price is MORE than 10% cheaper, its not a saving.

Also wanted to do the costco fuel run, but its too far away and I'm too cheap to drive there to keep filling up, so can only do that at one tank at a time. Its got some fuel injector cleaner product in it, so need to go 3-4 tanks in a row to see if any change happens, thats about 3-4k of distance, so will take a while to do!