Dirty Dozen: First 24 hours

Cou-ber

So once I get my TNC on Thursday (the transportation office was the most painless step) I was ready to break my Uber cherry. 24 hours and 12 trips later here are my impressions:

1. Wait time is gonna kill me.
2. Finding my rider is gonna kill me. It'll kill me faster if said rider is wasted which 90% of my 12 trips were.
3. I'm really glad I gave up drinking.
4. This will do wonders for my ego, even if alcohol induced and distorted, who doesn't like being complimented.
5. Isn't it odd that every pax's phone number is the same?
6. Hey, thanks for leaving a full pack of smokes trip 4. May have been the reason trip 5 tipped me.
7. The other service industry peeps are my best chance for a tip.
8. It's bullshit Uber doesn't put a tip feature on the app. (Redundant, yes, but it is bullshit.)
9. Memorial trips are depressing since I'm never going to be any of their neighbors.
10. The 20-sumpin crowd is self absorbed, sullen and loves to talk.
11. I have got to talk less and end trip later.
12. No tip feature AND, really Uber, you even take &1.20 of my $6 cancellation. C'mon...you can suck up that loss and you should. Really???
13. SW Houston is hoooodddd.
14. I am NOT going to make rent by the 3rd.
15. How in the hell were these chumps getting around before?? How many DUI's have Uber drivers stopped??
16. 12 trips, one cancellation and I'm averaging $5.74/trip. Roughly in my brief 7 hours active I'm averaging about 16.50/hr without taking taxes and gas and crap costs out. Hmmmm. Time to beef up the resume.
17. Totally get why the taxi companies hate us.
18. I'm gonna love these stories...just like Taxicab Confessions. If nothing else, this will keep me engaged. There's the Harvard graduate sharing a shwanky house in Memorial and working at Goldman Sachs paying for his 3 sisters to go to college because his parents died when he was in hs and he's the first born. He's single and horny and doesn't tip. Then there's recent college grad Scott who has been in love with his childhood BFF since he was 2 so much so that he hired me to deliver the shoes she needed for the wedding today to her doorstep. He's been trying to catch her and the gray herring that appeared on his street for almost 27 years combined. And there's an new African country near Ethiopia I didn't know existed and its language sounds like mumbles and hiccups.
19. I'm a 5 star beast of a @@@@@!
20. Why did I not get $6 fr the other cancellation?
21. I am NOT going to make rent.

I was worried about not feeling safe and I do intend to keep my guard up but so far so good and I actually had fun but dang that rent!!!

Thanks for indulging my vent. Peace.

Cou-ber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's wasn't so much the "I'm here come on" wait time but the "aw shit I'm in the thick of the club crowd with stumbling pedestrians and cops and parking attendants and a tipsy rider who thinks he's at NcGowrn and Main but is actually 3 blocks from there." It's pulling up to that pin and realizing you're at the wrought iron fence of a huge apartment complex and not even a driveway in sight. It's getting to the pax that consumed too much time saying good bye and then climbing into the car and having them fumble for the address of the next destination etc etc...it's being chirpy and pleasant and personable for the 5 stars and then having the rider talk 8 minutes after you've swiped the trip was completed...it's the .15 cents a minute that tells me my time isn't worth shit all and then being a potential @@@@@ to get the next ping. It's putting driver against driver and promotes nothing but antagonism and animosity and low morale. It's the mentality that says we are all expendable and it perpetuates the absence of loyalty and solid work ethics and pride and ugggg I digress. Sorry!!

Fuzzyelvis

It's wasn't so much the "I'm here come on" wait time but the "aw shit I'm in the thick of the club crowd with stumbling pedestrians and cops and parking attendants and a tipsy rider who thinks he's at NcGowrn and Main but is actually 3 blocks from there." It's pulling up to that pin and realizing you're at the wrought iron fence of a huge apartment complex and not even a driveway in sight. It's getting to the pax that consumed too much time saying good bye and then climbing into the car and having them fumble for the address of the next destination etc etc...it's being chirpy and pleasant and personable for the 5 stars and then having the rider talk 8 minutes after you've swiped the trip was completed...it's the .15 cents a minute that tells me my time isn't worth shit all and then being a potential @@@@@ to get the next ping. It's putting driver against driver and promotes nothing but antagonism and animosity and low morale. It's the mentality that says we are all expendable and it perpetuates the absence of loyalty and solid work ethics and pride and ugggg I digress. Sorry!!
Don't end the trip until they are out of the car.

elelegido

I have a sinking feeling that you won't make your rent.
Not an issue. Not only does Uber help communities by taking cars off the road as it's cheaper to Uber than to own a vehicle, it also helps fix the housing shortage. Uber drivers who do not make their rent will move into their cars, having the dual benefit of freeing up housing stock and helping the Uber car become more fully utilized. Win-win.

Cou-ber

Not an issue. Not only does Uber help communities by taking cars off the road as it's cheaper to Uber than to own a vehicle, it also helps fix the housing shortage. Uber drivers who do not make their rent will move into their cars, having the dual benefit of freeing up housing stock and helping the Uber car become more fully utilized. Win-win.
Tell this to my 8 & 19 year old:/

BurgerTiime

Drivers don't last long. It's either the small pay realized after expenses and liability issues or fed up with passengers and their bullshit! The no tipping will get to you. I guess Uber executives don't tip their strippers or bartenders. Every single passenger I've picked up think tip is included. Uber can suck my dick...if I had one:smiles:lol that's why they keep hiring. Going to be super high turn over rate industry. Now I understand why immigrants with little to no education are cabbies. No offense to cabbies but I get it now. It's grunt, unappreciated work. Counting down my last days.

elelegido

No offense to cabbies but I get it now. It's grunt, unappreciated work. Counting down my last days.
Of course driving UberLyft is like driving a cab. The only difference is how you get fares - no street hails and jobs are assigned by an app, not by a dispatcher. Other than that, drivers still drive people around in exchange for money. Why would the job be any different from driving a cab?

Uber spins the job as a completely new, revolutionary, sharing economy way of being part of an exciting online community while making good money driving your own car. Erm....no. You're a plain old cabbie.

JohnF

In the 5 months that I have been Ubering. I have found that trips to the airport are the best. The passengers are mostly sober (except for one drunk blonde) If you pick up a friday traveller its highly likely they are a weekly commuter They usually dont tip but that is ok with me.

I'm going to try VUGO to see if that gets me anywhere. Maybe you should explore it.

A new county near Ethiopia? The last country to 'form' was Namibia on march 12, 21990. That is not even close to Ethiopia.

bigprttygrlswag

Keep ALL your receipts for tax purposes. Everything from when you get a bite to eat "on the clock", car washes, air freshners, etc. If you don't have quickbooks or bookkeeping software, keep a spreadsheet. Add up and compare all your expenses vs. net income. Are you turning a profit? Is it big enough to make you happy? Maybe you notice some parts of town work better for you than others. I live right in the loop. I get trips from home, take care of those $5 - $6 boo-boo rides during guarantees only and call it a day. If you live outside of the Beltway I wouldn't drive into town just to pick up from the city. Maybe you're better off driving during "bankers' hours" when trips are a little longer distance.

Give yourself a month, and see if you like it.

Bukrub

Save yourself the trouble of saving receipts and get you a credit card that is for business expenses only. One that needs to be paid off every month. As said above, quick books will make tax purposes much simpler as you can just take your P&L statement to your CPA. Notate on your bill what every expense is for audit purposes.

elelegido

In the 5 months that I have been Ubering. I have found that trips to the airport are the best. The passengers are mostly sober (except for one drunk blonde) If you pick up a friday traveller its highly likely they are a weekly commuter They usually dont tip but that is ok with me.

I'm going to try VUGO to see if that gets me anywhere. Maybe you should explore it.

A new county near Ethiopia? The last country to 'form' was Namibia on march 12, 21990. That is not even close to Ethiopia.
South Sudan.

Cou-ber

Keep ALL your receipts for tax purposes. Everything from when you get a bite to eat "on the clock", car washes, air freshners, etc. If you don't have quickbooks or bookkeeping software, keep a spreadsheet. Add up and compare all your expenses vs. net income. Are you turning a profit? Is it big enough to make you happy? Maybe you notice some parts of town work better for you than others. I live right in the loop. I get trips from home, take care of those $5 - $6 boo-boo rides during guarantees only and call it a day. If you live outside of the Beltway I wouldn't drive into town just to pick up from the city. Maybe you're better off driving during "bankers' hours" when trips are a little longer distance.

How can I tell how much a trip is going to be? Seems the pling goes and I've got 15 seconds to decide but no where have I been able to determine how much a trip is going to be until after I end the ride. How do I get to this magical clairvoyant place?

Just one more trip

Probably they are doing the Taxi driver "call and screen" thing. It is a dreadful way to treat customers, excluding them when they think they have a driver, but since drivers have to put up with the conditions Uber has created, I understand the motives behind the practice.

Cou-ber

Probably they are doing the Taxi driver "call and screen" thing. It is a dreadful way to treat customers, excluding them when they think they have a driver, but since drivers have to put up with the conditions Uber has created, I understand the motives behind the practice.
But it genuinely seems there's a way to know. I got a request at like 4am this morning and the eta was 15 minutes and if I'd be able to determine if it was a $5 trip or a $50 trip my decision to go would have been different. The alerts come so quickly and God forbid I've put my phone in the other room while I piss, I take a hit on acceptance rate...speaking of which, how do you find out this number too?

Fuzzyelvis

Eating on the clock is not generally tax deductible. It's not an "added" expense unless you're far enough away from home you couldn't go home. You would t deduct eating at a regular job even if you did it while working at your desk.