Difficult Pax turns into great ride.

ZenUber

Get a ride request, and the pax calls. I decline the call, as I always do. Then he sends me a text. He asks me to back into the driveway because he is on crutches. At first I pull into the wrong driveway. I waited, and nobody came out. I checked the mail box again, and it looks like the numbers were a bit messed up, and only looked like the paxes number. I’m a little annoyed, but I figure, it’s not HIS fault.

So I back into the correct driveway and wait. It’s past the five minutes when he finally comes out, but to be fair, I was parked in the wrong driveway at first. Guy comes out with two crutches, the kind that braces against your arms, not in your armpits. Like he has MS. I get out and help him. I hold his braces while he gets into the car, no easy feat for him, and then load his crutches for him. His destination is a Sunoco with a convenience store. He says he needs to get money out of the ATM there, and then return home. It’s going to be a short ride, with a long stop till he gets in and out. Not a big money maker for me.

But he’s a talker. And a really nice guy. And very appreciative of the help he gets from people. There’s no way you could not like this guy and want to help him. As we’re driving, he asks if I could pick up some sodas for him at the convenience store, while he’s getting money from the ATM. And in return I could pick out a snack of my choosing. I said, no problem. It already felt like we were friends at this point.

We get to the Sunoco and he hands me a twenty for the soda and snack. I help him get out and get his crutches, and hold the door for him while he makes his way inside. When we get inside, there are two ladies seated at a table, who obviously know him. They are friends, and they banter back and forth a bit. I go to look for the sodas but the guy behind the counter has already picked them out. My pax is good friends with everyone here. And I feel kinda proud that I’m the one helping him today. It feels like a privilege. I pick out a donut for my (trouble?) and wait by the door for him.

We get back out to the car and go through the routine of getting him in. I hand him his change from the purchase and thank him for the donut I picked out. The ride back to his house went fast. We got to know each other better as he told me more of his story, and asked about me. I’m thinking, I would give this guy a ride any time, with or without the money. We get back to his house and get out of the car. By this time I’ve learned how to position his crutches for him, and I’m able to better help him. He handed me a nice size tip for my trouble, and we both commented how nice it was to meet. I can’t imagine I will ever get another ride that makes me feel so valued and appreciated. This guy was a first class act through and through.

Christinebitg

Great post, Zen!
I’m thinking, I would give this guy a ride any time, with or without the money.
I had one a few months ago, back when I was doing a lot of driving. A nice woman with two small kids. She had an absolutely sparkling personality. (Not disabled like your rider)

Picked them up at a Burlington Coat Factory. Made a stop on the way home. Then I dropped them at just about the shabbiest apartment complex I've ever seen.

If I ever see her again, her ride will be free.

SFOspeedracer

This was a great post .. I’m sure it will be commented at least once by trolls on here who say you should never help anyone for any reason and you lost time by helping him in the car but some people really do value your effort, especially when disabled .. And It’s always a pleasant thing to get the occasional pax who talks to you and you quickly become like buddies

R3drang3r

Get a ride request, and the pax calls. I decline the call, as I always do. Then he sends me a text. He asks me to back into the driveway because he is on crutches. At first I pull into the wrong driveway. I waited, and nobody came out. I checked the mail box again, and it looks like the numbers were a bit messed up, and only looked like the paxes number. I’m a little annoyed, but I figure, it’s not HIS fault.

So I back into the correct driveway and wait. It’s past the five minutes when he finally comes out, but to be fair, I was parked in the wrong driveway at first. Guy comes out with two crutches, the kind that braces against your arms, not in your armpits. Like he has MS. I get out and help him. I hold his braces while he gets into the car, no easy feat for him, and then load his crutches for him. His destination is a Sunoco with a convenience store. He says he needs to get money out of the ATM there, and then return home. It’s going to be a short ride, with a long stop till he gets in and out. Not a big money maker for me.

But he’s a talker. And a really nice guy. And very appreciative of the help he gets from people. There’s no way you could not like this guy and want to help him. As we’re driving, he asks if I could pick up some sodas for him at the convenience store, while he’s getting money from the ATM. And in return I could pick out a snack of my choosing. I said, no problem. It already felt like we were friends at this point.

We get to the Sunoco and he hands me a twenty for the soda and snack. I help him get out and get his crutches, and hold the door for him while he makes his way inside. When we get inside, there are two ladies seated at a table, who obviously know him. They are friends, and they banter back and forth a bit. I go to look for the sodas but the guy behind the counter has already picked them out. My pax is good friends with everyone here. And I feel kinda proud that I’m the one helping him today. It feels like a privilege. I pick out a donut for my (trouble?) and wait by the door for him.

We get back out to the car and go through the routine of getting him in. I hand him his change from the purchase and thank him for the donut I picked out. The ride back to his house went fast. We got to know each other better as he told me more of his story, and asked about me. I’m thinking, I would give this guy a ride any time, with or without the money. We get back to his house and get out of the car. By this time I’ve learned how to position his crutches for him, and I’m able to better help him. He handed me a nice size tip for my trouble, and we both commented how nice it was to meet. I can’t imagine I will ever get another ride that makes me feel so valued and appreciated. This guy was a first class act through and through.
This story could have ended like so many other stories up here. You have trouble locating the house number. Pax takes more than 5 minutes to come out. It was a shuffle made to order.
Here's where you have distinguished yourself. Slightly irritated you still had the good sense not to blame the Ryder.
You maintained your good attitude throughout the entire ride. I'm sure it wasn't the best paying ride of the day. Some things of Great Value can't be measured in terms of money.
it's very refreshing to see a story up here that shows us at our best.

Last edited:

SFOspeedracer

Thanks for the responses. It has been suggested to me that I am too negative on these pages, so I decided to tell one of the more pleasant experiences I have had.
We all are .. with as much controversy and BS circulating around Uber and riders there’s no reason not to be sometimes

but yes, the positive posts are always a reminder that not every experience is horrible and there’s still a handful of decent peoole

doyousensehumor

This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ??

That's how it supposed to work. Many rides do go this way. Cool he showed his appreciation. Sometimes we can tell from the pax character when it would be good to go the extra mile.

Crosbyandstarsky

You been driving long? You’ll have a bunch of these and have you worked with people before? Most jobs you come up against having to help people
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the responses. It has been suggested to me that I am too negative on these pages, so I decided to tell one of the more pleasant experiences I have had.
Well 97 percent are plesant but boring