Different surges for different drivers

SobrbNWI

Last night 5 of us were in the uber lot at the Tinley Park music theatre, and 3 of us had lower surges that the other 2, by nearly half, 2 would have $19 and 3 of us had $9.25. This wasn't just a case of the surge just not updating, this went on for over a half hour. Even the pings showed the same as the map. Not to mention Uber was charging the pax 2.1 and was giving us nothing for at least a half hour before the concert ended.

Attachments

u_no_me

I picked up one group there last night who said they were charged $140 for a ride that would probably be $35 at base.

bpm45

Nice to see some evidence. I've suspected that as you approach a surge and it decreases that other drivers not moving to the surge I don't see the decrease

OP-Matt

In your experiment, did you all arrive at your staging area at the same time with $0 sticky to start? Do you all have the same pro status, same relative acceptance/cancel/rating metrics? That would be the true experiment. As @bpm45 stated, if you are moving in or through surge areas over time you might see different amounts as the guy next to you based on various factors. And we all suspect that good ants might be seeing increased ping frequency and maybe better surge?

New guy65

In your experiment, did you all arrive at your staging area at the same time with $0 sticky to start? Do you all have the same pro status, same relative acceptance/cancel/rating metrics? That would be the true experiment. As @bpm45 stated, if you are moving in or through surge areas over time you might see different amounts as the guy next to you based on various factors. And we all suspect that good ants might be seeing increased ping frequency and maybe better surge?
Also are they all the same types of cars ie Uber x. In the pricing that was attached it’s not Uber x unless it’s now paying 1.86 per mile. So maybe it’s Uber black which in another attachment had no surge

2015fit

Yup I've suspected this for a while and was confirmed yesterday on a Friday there was no surge insight for me maybe max 2.75 dt and my guys map was surging all over the city. Uber scum Lord dicking us one more time

Mindozas

I can second that at EDM festival earlier this summer in Hoffman Estates, I had next driver chilling in my car waiting on surges and his were by a few dollars more.

BeingStewie

It’s very much possible that Uber (and Lyft) per algorithm can tag drivers for ride frequency, distance, or surge preferences. That’s why at least on Uber one can see the disparity.

This is similar to not receiving requests when it’s surging and if you do it’s a short ride if the surge has subsided.

I also believe every driver’s driving habit trains the Uber app algorithm to control what rides a driver gets or not. But we will never know the answer as these companies are unaccountable.

If you want changes, talk to your alderman or congressional representatives. Otherwise shut up and drive like the rest of us, and as soon as you get a chance “get the eff out!”.

WindyCityAnt

I would also think that’s the people with larger surges showing are in there “honeymoon” period, there new gaurentee earning also, as we all speak about here.

LoveTheBlues

You gotta love a great conspiracy theory! These companies can't track their known promotions correctly or tell the difference between a street and an alley. Now they are serving up thousands of individually calculated surges an hour based on each of our driving histories? You give them a lot of credit.

I think Travis killed Epstein. Tons of proof if you look hard enough!

Nu1

Those screen shots are 3min apart, and unclear if driver is in the same location as each other.

If you all want to prove theories, gotta provide good evidence.
Why the location of the two drivers would matter? Uber surge is not like lyft ppz as far as I know.......unless they changed the game meantime( of course no heads-up for the drivers). I’m 100% sure uber surge is not the same for everybody.
An example, you are 2 min away from a 5$ max surge cloud. When you reach the edge of the cloud and update all of a sudden the cloud shrinks and become 3.5$ max cloud that is again 2 min away ( keep in mind you are 2 min away from the edge of that 5$/3.5$ max cloud). By the time you move another 2 min toward the cloud the surge disappears.
And all this in a heavy demand area ( my case Lakeview) around 8:30am.

Nu1

It looked like this with uber this morning. In 7 min the surge disappeared for me ......8:41am to 8:49am.....every minute I get closer to the max amount, the cloud shrinks to 0$......well, it might work on some ants, not on me. I’ll wait the cloud that poop after 9:00am and go from there.

Attachments

BeingStewie

You gotta love a great conspiracy theory! These companies can't track their known promotions correctly or tell the difference between a street and an alley. Now they are serving up thousands of individually calculated surges an hour based on each of our driving histories? You give them a lot of credit.

I think Travis killed Epstein. Tons of proof if you look hard enough!
That’s unfair comparison.

Uber has been from the get go using drivers to build a system (algorithm) to destroy completion, develop and replace drivers with self-driving cars. Travis’ ambition were big, brutal, and not in-tune with conplexities of human behavior.

Uber, like other tech companies, endeavors in developing AI, and the current algorithm is just a stepping stone, developed based on human biases. The reality is much more complex and nuanced than anticipated and hence the resignation of Travis.

I have played with basic programming and it’s easy to assign a task, or preference based on a user input/behavior.

To assume that Uber/Lyft are not developing and manipulating drivers on their app platforms is naive at best.

They have create a beast they can’t control either and hence the disparity and confusion, why, what’s, and it’s.

Nu1

Update, waited for after 9am surge and got this way. I don’t know how much was the max surge after I accepted.....
Post automatically merged:

And uber got a good lesson, I hope they learn something since I’m on the flighttrack.

Attachments

Last edited:

New guy65

Update, waited for after 9am surge and got this way. I don’t know how much was the max surge after I accepted.....
Post automatically merged:

And uber got a good lesson, I hope they learn something since I’m on the flighttrack.
It made it to $8 at 926 and Uber was $81 to ohare from Belmont and broadway. Meanwhile no surge on lyft and they were just over 33. Then it took me about 10 minutes to get a ping