1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Difference Between Uber and Lyft

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Sam D, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Sam D

Sam D Active Member

Been driving Uber since January In Gurnee Area

My home is literally a five minute ride into Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin and I want to be able to pick up and hang out there as well as Kenosha for rides

So I signed up for Lyft

So Now I am doing both Uber and Lyft

What can I expect to be different other than being able to see Pax ratings?

What are the differences and any heads up you can give will be appreciated - My Car gets inspected Wednesday
    - Other than that Lyft said I have everything done.

Thanks everyone! :)

2. Sam D

Sam D Active Member

Oh ok -- the silence is deafening ... I get it

I know what your all say ... No problem

I see what you mean

I am getting all choked up --

Thought we were all friends here

Oh the agony!!

xcnco, Hazmat and UberTrucker like this.
  3. lakersfan1

lakersfan1 Well-Known Member

You can't shut down additional rides for Lyft Line, but at least you're paid the same price per minute and mile for Line rides, vs POOL.

Lyft NEVER shows you the city, so you better hope that pin is correct. I once had a pin that was 20 miles off. It was on the right street, just 20 miles away.

xcnco, SuperStar3000, outlier and 2 others like this.
  4. Sam D

Sam D Active Member

20 miles off .... oh ... bet that made some passengers un happy I understand what you mean by a pin being off - but what do you mean it does't show you the city?

5. Candi

Candi Active Member

Lyft only shows the address, not the city. I had one once only showed GNC. Well that was helpful.

6. Sam D

Sam D Active Member

Wowzers - Yeah that could cause some major issues - should be an easy fix in the app? So I imagine we are able to call or text the passengers liek we can on the uber app?

7. Grand Master B

Grand Master B Well-Known Member

pray for what? driver arrives at pin, waits 5 mins, makes one call, cancel no show, collects $$$ and move on.

xcnco, Andretti and Sam D like this.
  8. LoveTheBlues

LoveTheBlues Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Both have their quirks but i started with Uber and was more used to Uber's quirks. You will drive and find your own pet peeves. The strongest advantage of driving both in the burbs is less waiting between pings as you run both apps and usually stay busier. Just don't forget to turn the other app off when you accept one.

Mystro is a new app that manages that if you don't want to fuss with that. I hate fussing with the apps when I need to be focused on driving. They have a fee but you can use it for a few rides / day for free to help see if you find it worth the cost. I don't drive all that much of late and just use the free allowance but would pay for full use when I pick up my volume again. PM me if you want referral code.

Sam D likes this.
  9. lakersfan1

lakersfan1 Well-Known Member

Also IF the PAX completed their profile you will be able to see their picture and music preferences. About 60% put a photo. 5% put a music preference.

10. Pchi

Pchi Active Member

I like Uber more because I can cherry pick more and not take pools.
    I make up for tips in gas and less wear and tear on my car.
    I also get tired of the type of lyft pax who wants to be your buddy where they talk a lot and don't tip.
    Im not a jerk to pax and with lyft I have over 609 rides = 4.97 and Uber 2800=4.9, but I get tired of hearing about the entitled people's stupid lives.
    When I hear about crimes against them in the news no matter how horrific they are, my consolation is I hope that they were the ones who regularly treated people in the service industry as a second class citizens...

Sam D likes this.
  11. MHR

MHR Active Member

Not in your area but my experience is Lyft likes to send me pings that are 20-30 mins away. Constantly, over and over, all the dang day long. Then they scold me about my acceptance rating.

Sam D likes this.
  12. WestSubDriver

WestSubDriver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Just added Lyft myself in the past month. The app and reporting is not nearly as robust or transparent as Uber.

Biggest bonus of Lyft has been tipping rate. At least double or more what Uber pax do. Not many large tips but alot of $2 a pop. My last 20 Uber trips - 2 tips for $13. My last 20 Lyft trips - 9 tips totaling $31.

One positive is they give you the entire cancel fee without taking a cut. The cancel process is more restrictive than Uber. You wait for the timer to expire and you have to call the pax (of course, you can just hang up after one ring) before cancel for No Show button appears. I'd be interested to hear if there is anyway around this.

Apparently, you can't text pax through Lyft. It only shows a phone icon. But, the pax can text you as I've had that happen.

I was excited to read on this forum that you can see address once you arrive for pickup. You have to click on the pax menu button on the bottom left (at least on Android for me). But, the address is only the street address with no city. WTF. You have to start navigation to see where the hell it is. Also, I've had destinations that weren't even street addresses, just a company name. Big letdown and terribly annoying.

Watch for tolls. They miss them all the time. They'll be quick to add them after you submit to Support but then it takes 3-5 business days before it magically appears in your balance with no notification.

LoveTheBlues, SuperStar3000 and Sam D like this.
  13. Sam D

Sam D Active Member

Thank you! Very helpful!

14. LEAFdriver

LEAFdriver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    Lyft
    Just one or two things to add to this post:

You CAN text the pax. Next time they call you....just save the number as "Lyft Pax" in your phone book. Also, the number you CALL them with, which might be different, SAVE that one as "Lyft RIDER." Usually one or the other will reach every pax you get. So I just have a 'group text' with both Lyft PAX and Lyft RIDER that I send out texts to. ONE will always bounce back as undelivered....but the OTHER one will reach the pax.

Also, even though you don't see the city NAME in the destination....you can ZOOM in on the map and get a good estimate of what city they are going to.

I agree about the tolls. I always check them at the end of the day and make sure I got reimbursed for all of them. It is now in the drop down HELP box that is included for each trip. Click the TRIP then GET HELP then 'I paid for a toll'.

I hate that anything they have to add manually....they refer to as a 'Bonus'! o_O And if you need to request reimbursement for more than ONE missed payment a week....it can be very confusing on WHAT they reimbursed you for and what they haven't since it's all lumped under the catch-all title: BONUS. :(

HTH. ;)

15. Andretti

Andretti Well-Known Member

As stated above, they're very similar except that Lyft does not allow 'stop new requests'. That's a biggie for me, since I like to control my rides and accepts. In turn, Lyft does not rip you off 6 cents per minute on Pool, like Uber does. Why Uber does this, is beyond me!

Sam D likes this.
  16. WestSubDriver

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks! I've gone ahead and added those to my contacts. I've noticed that there is only a couple different numbers with 415 (San Fran) area codes that seem to have been used to communicate with Lyft pax.

LEAFdriver likes this.
  17. Sam D

Sam D Active Member

Thanks for all the tips

I had thought about that when I heard you couldnt text -- I have some uber phone calls and texts that are still in my phone and recently I had a no show at pick up and I went to call and noticed - Oh - Ive had this person before its all ready in my phone .. no answer - thats what triggered the thought of saving a lyft number to text

18. WestSubDriver

Driving:
    UberX
    An obscure thing I've had happen with Lyft in my first 100 trips was a trip that said passenger cancelled as I was in transit and there was no record of it in my app. I knew that it was already beyond the 5-minute limit to cancel without fee. However, there was no record in my app that the request/trip even existed. There normally will be a record either way - showing $0.00 and that they cancelled within the time limit or one showing the cancel fee.

Upon questioning Lyft with the pax name, approx pickup address and approx time of request, their answer was that it was rematched to another driver. Weird. They fessed up and gave me the $5 cancellation fee, but that was definitely strange.

While I'm on the topic of different. I've also had Lyft automatically queue trips for me without any notification. I'll have just dropped someone off and end the trip and then another trip is ready to proceed to pickup without me hearing/seeing any notification or accepting the trip. These were not Line trips either.

Anyone know how this works with Lyft? I thought it strange that I didn't get a request to accept them.

19. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

First of all, I want to send out a heartfelt apology for jumping all over a driver that deadheaded back from Milwaukee area after a monster fare from Downers area (I think it was). I swore to turn on the DF or at least try Lyft in Wisconsin. I hate dead miles.

Anyway, I took a sip of my own kool aid a couple months ago and tried a few times up north......and I don't wanna talk about it anymore. Stay in Chicago.

My $.02

Check the Milwaukee thread and see if they could assist.....:)

Lyft is weird, period! I had all of these things happen to me, but I'll one up you. Wrigleyville....pouring like a B!TCH, no prime, wtf. Roll up and see the shadow line to the riders destination 2 blocks away......the trip starts.....all by itself. I touched nothing. I see a person running up on my car with what looked like rain gear and galoshes.....ehhh this ain't lookin good. Cancel. Switch back to Uber.

20. Herself

Herself Active Member