• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Did you Uber-ready your car first?

forrest m

I am trying to get my car set up before I start driving. I'm wondering how many people are really prepared before they start, and would like to know if I'm forgetting something important. I've been kind of nervous, so coming to the forum here the last few days has really helped me get me head together so I won't feel so totally unprepared that pax can tell that I'm a total noob.

Here's the list of what I bought (most has to be delivered):

- 2-way car camera
- back seat organizers one for each side
- cheap game-loaded tablet
- emesis/barf bags (the odor-block kind)
- back of headrest signs that both mention the rules AND suggest tips/rating but do NOT mention amenities (most would make driver look like a tool)
- small acrylic tip box with lock on it
- Back Seat Please magnet sign
- LED light Uber sign since I'll be driving mostly at night

Other than seat covers and charger cords, what else might I need (that is not a consumable)?

I'd kind of like to know if any or all of this stuff can go on my tax expenses.

Last edited:

forrest m

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why the tablet? They have the games on their phone to keep them busy
It's something different to play with, make trips less boring, give pax something to think about besides work and stuff. I can't imagine most adults downloading 20 games on their phones. There is also a drawing app, a language translation app, an astrology app. When I was downloading the games sitting in Starbucks, I ended up having fun testing some of them out. The only games I keep on my phone are Free Cell, Sudoku, and Scrabble, and here was this device with all the games... what fun! It also might be a point of friendly light conversation.

The Gift of Fish

- 2-way car camera Yes
- back seat organizers one for each side No. Why?
- cheap game-loaded tablet Absolutely not
- emesis/barf bags (the odor-block kind) Maybe. Depends on shift time and your ability to filter out and ride deny drunks
- back of headrest signs that both mention the rules AND suggest tips/rating but do NOT mention amenities (most would make driver look like a tool) Optional
- small acrylic tip box with lock on it Optional
- Back Seat Please magnet sign Optional
- LED light Uber sign since I'll be driving mostly at night No. If the pax does not have the nous to find you, you don't want them.

Other than seat covers and charger cords, what else might I need (that is not a consumable)?

- Earplugs. Groups of 3 or more or 2 or more women will be screechingly loud
- Flashlight for checking that drunks did not leave anything and for self defense
- Antibacterial wet wipes

xgamrgeekx

Of your list, the only things I have are the two way camera (with audio) and charging cables. I drive early morning to early afternoon and most pax don't give two shits about all that extra fluff (even the charging cables, only 3 people in the last 6 months of driving have used them). They want a clean, safe ride from point A to point B. Half or more don't even want conversation unless they're the type of person who would rather force a convo with a stranger than sit in silence for 5-20 minutes.

Taksomotor

I need to add a camera to my car, just in case. I am most worried about some psycho rider claiming I made a move on them or something. Or in case there was an accident and they try to sue you for "damanges".

TheDevilisaParttimer

I am trying to get my car set up before I start driving. I'm wondering how many people are really prepared before they start, and would like to know if I'm forgetting something important. I've been kind of nervous, so coming to the forum here the last few days has really helped me get me head together so I won't feel so totally unprepared that pax can tell that I'm a total noob.

- 2-way car camera
- back of headrest signs that both mention the rules AND suggest tips/rating but do NOT mention amenities (most would make driver look like a tool)

Stop spending money now, you’re doing it because you are nervous. Just get out there for your first time to get it out your system today. Tomorrow start driving in earnest.

reg barclay

- 2-way car camera
IMHO the only thing I see as important here is the camera. Add barf bags if you're planning on driving bar hours/areas.

Let pax provide their own entertainment. UberX isn't a limo service and we don't get paid enough to provide that kind of stuff.

I personally don't bother with a tip box, as I don't like asking for tips. Whether or not tip boxes work, I'm not sure. But that's up to the driver I suppose.

mbd

I signed up for those unlimited washes for $30 a month. I now go through the washer about 2 times per week. I like having my car looking clean and shiny :smiles:
Don't waste 30$ a month on unlimited washes...
I have spend 0 dollars on washes since winter started
2 buckets, 1 soaped water bucket, 1 non soap,2 big sponges
It takes less than 10 min to clean your car
30 dollars =10 rides at 3$ 😊

reg barclay

To answer the thread question. Yes, back then I was pretty gung ho. I made sure my car was pristine inside and out, and stocked it with water bottles for pax, before hitting the road for the first time. Nowadays, I don't do any of that. I just make sure it's reasonably clean, and that myself or the car don't stink. My rating is pretty good, and definitely higher than it was in the first few months when I was still offering amenities and the like.

Taksomotor

Washing a car on freezing winter? Hmm, not for me. But I do wash it when it is really nice and warm in summer.
Post automatically merged:

I had a rider who asked me for a gum. Seriously!? How about a room service? It was a 7 minute 2 miles run...

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo836

I am trying to get my car set up before I start driving.
Don't overthink this. Start actually driving first, and then you'll be able to figure out what you actually need, based on your own experience. Keep in mind that anything that's of any value and isn't nailed down to the car is likely to disappear quickly. Driving safely and efficiently is far, far more important than keeping these knuckleheads entertained while you're doing it.

Seamus

- 2-way car camera YES, never drive without it
- back seat organizers one for each side NO gets in the way and will be used for people to stick garbage in.
- cheap game-loaded tablet. NEVER, will end up with a cracked screen or stolen. No good deed goes unpunished.
- emesis/barf bags (the odor-block kind) DEFINITELY. Driving nights this is a requirement. Hold them yourself and give out as needed so they don't get stolen. Beyond that do some research on how to effectively clean vomit so your car won't smell and get stained. Proper cleanup is essential to not having a lingering problem.

I carry a "vomit rescue bag" in my trunk containing: Quarters for a gas station vacuum, Hydrogen Peroxide to kill vomit bacteria, Woolite stain cleaning shampoo with built in brush, latex gloves, towel, and lysol.

My System:

After taking pictures:
step 1- Immediately go to nearest gas station or car wash with a vacuum.
step 2- Vacuum up all chunks and liquid. Powerful vacuum works very well (and its not yours)LOL
step 3- Pour hydrogen peroxide over affected area. Kills the bacteria so no lingering odor.
step 4- Use the foaming stain remover and brush aggressively with the built in brush
step 5- Vacuum up any excess cleaner after a few minutes.

- back of headrest signs that both mention the rules No one will read it AND suggest tips/rating but do NOT mention amenities (most would make driver look like a tool)
- LED light Uber sign since I'll be driving mostly at night YES

I'd kind of like to know if any or all of this stuff can go on my tax expenses. YES

Last edited:

TomTheAnt

IMHO the only thing I see as important here is the camera. Add barf bags if you're planning on driving bar hours/areas.

Let pax provide their own entertainment. UberX isn't a limo service and we don't get paid enough to provide that kind of stuff.

I personally don't bother with a tip box, as I don't like asking for tips. Whether or not tip boxes work, I'm not sure. But that's up to the driver I suppose.
^^^ This.

Don't overthink it. Once you have your dashcam and proper insurance, just get out there and start driving. You'll figure out the rest later. Aside from charger cords I don't provide any other fluff and now that I'm closing in on 1000 rides, I haven't seen the need to add anything else. I don't see them having huge potential to increase tips or improve my ratings (4.93 and 5.0), so I leave them out.

Declineathon

- 2-way car camera

Your all set, get out there and have fun!

Maybe make a grid to record cancels, who when, etc.

Ps where did you find tip jar?