Did we get “Airport Re-match” in Melbourne?

hello_melbs

I remember hearing that Brisbane airport was trialling “Re-match”, where some ants wait and some get a trip.
I drove into the nest around 11am, said full but was suprised to see more like 66-70 waiting. I just wanted to use the toilet and got an instant trip to T,1,2,3.
Straight to Bourke Street.
Has never happened to me before.

Sleepo

I remember hearing that Brisbane airport was trialling “Re-match”, where some ants wait and some get a trip.
I drove into the nest around 11am, said full but was suprised to see more like 66-70 waiting. I just wanted to use the toilet and got an instant trip to T,1,2,3.
Straight to Bourke Street.
Has never happened to me before.
Rematch still working well in Brisbane

RoboRider

I did my first trip from airport today since starting to drive with Uber 9 months ago. Dropped off at about 9:30 and the queue said 30-35. Was a congested drive towards best and as I got close to entrance I got a pickup from T4. Never even went into the nest

hello_melbs

Yep, something strange going on at AP today. I got my trip just at the entrance too.
Couldn’t understand why there was half a nest full of ants waiting, unless they were offline or only drive Ola/Didi.
Also strange that it said Full.
30-35 is strange at any time of daylight hours.
Post automatically merged:

I’m just wondering also, has anyone ever seen a non-Asian in a Tesla? ?

Last edited:

andyxc

Airport rematch only works in Airports where the departure and arrivals are in the same spot. (or at least if the approved Rideshare drop off and pick up is on the same driveway). MEL will never have it unless they force all Rideshare to drop off at the current pick up.

RoboRider

Airport rematch only works in Airports where the departure and arrivals are in the same spot. (or at least if the approved Rideshare drop off and pick up is on the same driveway). MEL will never have it unless they force all Rideshare to drop off at the current pick up.
Pretty sure the descriptions I have read of it at some of the other airports had separated arrivals and departure areas. There is no reason that the concept of a driver coming in to drop being given an immediate pickup couldn't be applied in Melbourne .. you would just loop down through the pickup area and still be there faster than ants from the nest

hello_melbs

Ok got it.
In the end I found out there was a massive IT meltdown going on at Melbourne Airport international terminals this morning.
Must have been related to that.

zanboor

Ok got it.
In the end I found out there was a massive IT meltdown going on at Melbourne Airport international terminals this morning.
IT meltdown but not Uber meltdown... or maybe someone did hack the system. Few months ago it happened to me, as soon as I entered the nest
I received a ping and the nest was FULL!

RoboRider

Ok got it.
The meltdown was the automated passport system which was Australia wide. Incoming passengers couldn't use the e-gates and had to all be processed manually. That would have slowed the exit of passengers but I don't see how it accounts for getting jobs before even entering the nest when I could see quite a few drivers in there

hello_melbs

I see. But I guess that would equal a longer wait (passengers taking longer to exit).
It’s happened to me before but giving me pickups that appear to be in residential streets in Tullamarine.
This was an actual airport terminals trip.
Yep I think it was a glitch in the Uber app, considering the nest was 3/4 full and I’m given a trip. A good one too.
Post automatically merged:

Airport rematch also working well in Canberra.

It wasn’t ever introduced in Melbourne.
Do you have an ants nest too in Canberra? Or will it just go to ants in nearby burbs, if no re-match is avaliable?

Jack Malarkey

They have a nest and queue in Canberra

Do you have an ants nest too in Canberra? Or will it just go to ants in nearby burbs, if no re-match is avaliable?

Yes, as @RoboRider says, we have an ant nest and queue in Canberra.

The queuing area for drivers is a good five minutes’ drive from where drivers drop off and pick up riders, meaning a total drive of 10 ‘dead’ minutes.

Airport rematch reduces the driving time for drivers from 10 minutes in total to only one minute.

Last edited:

hello_melbs

Yes, as @RoboRider says, we have an ant nest and queue in Canberra.

The queuing area for drivers is a good five minutes’ drive from where drivers drop off and pick up riders, meaning a total drive of 10 ‘dead’ minutes.

Airport rematch reduces the driving time for drivers from 10 minutes in total to only one minute.
Oh I see. Good thing you got re-match then. Are there too many drivers in Canberra, like Melbourne?

Jack Malarkey

That is a joke. So do you need to do Eats too if you want to be full time? Or you can’t be full time?
You can do Eats as well. I do and find it useful for the quieter times.

There are drivers who are full-time without Eats in Canberra. Like in Melbourne, the full-time drivers without additional sources of income need to work very long hours.

It’s much quieter when Parliament isn’t sitting than when it is.

Surge is rarer than in Melbourne but the base rates are better (base fare of $2.35 plus $1.35 per kilometre plus 45 cents per minute).

Traffic congestion is MUCH less than in Melbourne and the road system is excellent. There are no tolls.

We don’t have the very long trips you often have in Melbourne. The longest trips will typically be 30 minutes (30 kilometres).

We have Ola and GoCatch but not Didi or Bolt. Women drivers here tend to do well from Shebah.

Our winters are long and very cold with minimum temperatures often below zero and sometimes as low as minus 8 degrees Celsius!

hello_melbs

Amazing. Didn’t know Shebah was there. That’s great that you have higher rates. I like the sound of no traffic and good roads. Traffic is annoying - less kilometres, more sitting around on 0.35c per min.
I think another big plus would be nicer, chilled-out people. Almost country-like people. Melbourne has the worst people in Australia. Yes, I said it and I will GLADLY cop that.
I imagine Uber is popular over public transport on those minus 10 mornings.