Did Uber forget to mention ?

Escoman

The license will cost you $400 a year and I doubt Uber will pay for it .
upload_2017-9-14_9-25-32.png

JasonB

$400/year? That will KO a ton of part timers, IF it would be one of the
documents that Uber requires drivers to upload to their dashboards
in order to use the app.

I can't imagine why Uber is rallying drivers to support this. There must
be some ulterior motive.

Blushark

It is pretty obvious to me its about the money the government wants to cash in on. I can't imagine any legislation being proposed that wouldn't add to their coffers. Of course, Uber wants to have this rather than drivers required to have a business licenses at every city they operate. Could you imagine the cost nationwide? That would be a true hassle for every driver to do. These part time drivers are not going to front $400 and spend time applying for their licenses. So Uber want the ants to sign the petition so this company will continue to have plenty of cars at their disposal. Without them, they will have to sweeten the pot for the drivers who are willing to pay the $400 a year. Interesting times I say!

JasonB

It is pretty obvious to me its about the money the government wants to cash in on. I can't imagine any legislation being proposed that wouldn't add to their coffers. Of course, Uber wants to have this rather than drivers required to have a business licenses at every city they operate. Could you imagine the cost nationwide? That would be a true hassle for every driver to do. These part time drivers are not going to front $400 and spend time applying for their licenses. So Uber want the ants to sign the petition so this company will continue to have plenty of cars at their disposal. Without them, they will have to sweeten the pot for the drivers who are willing to pay the $400 a year. Interesting times I say!
That's what I'm thinking. There is some sort of ultimatum being presented to Uber.

Legislators are telling Uber; "We can either do this the easy way, or the hard way.
What's it going to be?"

Dandy

You are right! $400 start up is a deal breaker even if you have a solid second income gig going alongside like the new affiliate program where you make passive income for referring tourists to discounts on local attractions.

In reality every Uber and Lyft driver that drives in the City of San Diego without having a business license is in violation of the City code. Get a license! Want to pickup passengers at Kaboo? That is in Del Mar, get a Del Mar business license to be legal! Working Escondido? Get a license there, too. You can see it is quite cost prohibitive to do it legally by getting business licenses for every city that you want to pick up in.

It is common for every city where work originates (real estate agents, towing, taxi, repo, pick up location) to require a city business license. Some local cops know this and can enforce it if they want (like the hot dog vendor who had his money taken out of his wallet and a citation issued). Some can be real .

$400 initial can be brought down to $125 per two years by a negotiations since all the government is supposed to do is offset the costs of license issuance, not create profit.

Dandy

I don't know where you get your info from but a license IS NOT 400 per year.

More like $52 dollars.

https://www.sandiego.gov/treasurer/taxesfees/btax/btaxhow

Pesty, Thank you, you are absolutely right. $52 in the City of San Diego. It appears that the screenshot was WRONG as the single license required is not from the state but from local jurisdictions.

SB 182 would not require a $400 state license but instead reads:
It is the intent of the Legislature to limit any requirement for a business license imposed by a local jurisdiction on a participating driver for a transportation network company to a single business license, regardless of the number of local jurisdictions in which the participating driver operates.

(a) Any local jurisdiction that requires a driver to obtain a business license to operate as a driver for a transportation network company may only require that driver to obtain a single business license, regardless of the number of local jurisdictions in which the driver operates.
(b) The driver shall obtain a business license in the local jurisdiction in which the driver is domiciled.

NCRBILL

Pesty, Thank you, you are absolutely right. $52 in the City of San Diego.

SB 182 would not require a $400 state license but instead reads:
It is the intent of the Legislature to limit any requirement for a business license imposed by a local jurisdiction on a participating driver for a transportation network company to a single business license, regardless of the number of local jurisdictions in which the participating driver operates.

(a) Any local jurisdiction that requires a driver to obtain a business license to operate as a driver for a transportation network company may only require that driver to obtain a single business license, regardless of the number of local jurisdictions in which the driver operates.
(b) The driver shall obtain a business license in the local jurisdiction in which the driver is domiciled.
I say bring it on! This may very well reduce the ant population!!