Did the worst thing I've ever done in my uber career

Iceagetlc

Not proud of it. Super ashamed actually.

It was 3:30 and I had a doctors appointment at 4 that was about 15 minutes away, so I set destination filter that direction while I drove.

I get a ping, 2X surge and I'm like "Hot damn that's great."

Go to the spot, I see an older woman (50's maybe) waiting for me on the curb. I go to start the trip and realize that the interface is not the typical Orange of destination filter. Sure enough, I swipe it to start and see that it's an 30 minute ride in the opposite direction- apparently I didn't properly set the destination.

What I should have done: Explain the situation to the woman and cancel.

What I did: Held my finger up like, "Hold on a second," locked my doors as she tried to get in, then drove off and canceled while she stood in the middle of the street, confused and staring at her phone.

The only relief I get from the shame is that she ordered pool.

Mole

It was 3:30 and I had a doctors appointment at 4 that was about 15 minutes away, so I set destination filter that direction while I drove.

Go to the spot, I see an older woman (50's maybe) waiting for me on the curb. I go to start the trip and realize that the interface is not the typical Orange of destination filter. Sure enough, I swipe it to start and see that it's an 30 minute ride in the opposite direction- apparently I didn't properly set the destination.

What I did: Held my finger up like, "Hold on a second," locked my doors as she tried to get in, then drove off and canceled while she stood in the middle of the street, confused and staring at her phone.

It was a pool who gives a crap.

Cableguynoe

Those are the kind of things that would get a driver permanently deactivated if she thought you refused to give her a ride because of her race or another reason. No one would believe you left her hanging because you had somewhere to be.

DocT

Iceagetlc You should be totally ASHAMED of yourself!

WHY are you dropping down AND accepting Pool/X at 2.0x?! You're a Select driver per your profile! :p
Select only, and dropping down for only >3.0x!

But seriously, DF is a joke, especially if you only have a 30-min window.

Hans GrUber

We've all done this, right? This is nothing. You wasted like 10 min of her time and the surge probably dropped. Look, whenever you cancel on someone don't feel bad bc there's another uber driver right guy around the corner.

Now, kicking 3 annoying late 40's women out of your car in the dead of winter at 1:50am in a bad neighborhood solely bc you realized they were going to ask you to make 3 separate stops and the one woman asked you to stop staring at your phone... that's bad.

Trafficat

This is what happens when Uber hides the destination from the driver. I agree you should have done it differently as you said.

Likely you just couldn't think fast enough.

destination filter sucks where I am, I end up farther away a lot of the times. If I'm downtown and I put my address in the West end I'll end up in another place down town.
When I use destination mode I also like to set the "arrive by" and choose the time. This is a really new feature they added but I am liking it... That way it won't send you on an errand that will make you late... or at least has not for me... yet.

One thing I've noticed though is that for a location 20 minutes away it pretty much only lets you set a time at least 45 minutes out.

miggon123

Sets destination filter hoping he wont get a ping when he could just turn it off. Seems like something I'd do. Don't feel too bad man it happens ens. She'll get a ride in less than 5 minutes.