1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by bulay-og, Oct 26, 2015.

1. bulay-og

bulay-og

I picked up an UberX pax going to JFK this morning. I forgot to ask him before leaving where he was going? When I was driving, I realized that I will be going back to NJ empty. That's a lot of dead miles. The gross fare was about $90.00, $20 of which was a surcharge for tolls. I took Outerbridge going there and coming back.

Did I make a mistake taking this trip?

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. According to Uber, no. According to many on here, you should have called/texted to find destination and then cancelled. There's no right answer. I look at it this way...what if a friend/family member asked you for a ride to airport and you drove them...you'd do it for free. This time you got paid.

3. If it was surging you wouldn't be asking that question... ;)

Take the good with the bad.

4. bulay-og

bulay-og

Thanks for reminding this.

Yes you're right I wouldn't.

5. Dan L

Dan L

Driving:
    UberX
    I think what Uber needs to do is make a separate section within the app for airport dropoff/pickups or the same for big cities. Some people like doing this often, and some don't. This way, the pax can log into that section and get a driver also logged into that section. The rest can be used for local.

SOPRANO, Loruber, berserk42 and 4 others like this.
  6. TaylorHamNCheez

TaylorHamNCheez

Driving:
    Lyft
    I totally agree. Some of us can only log on for shorter periods and want short rides. Other only want NYC drop offs or airport rides.

Other day I had a fare to Philly... Easy $150 or more, but had to turn it down Because I had to be somewhere. Another example, was times where I was available for long rides and only got $5 rides for hours.

Would be nice if we could choose.

njctuberx, gmc and Alex12 like this.
  7. Coffeekeepsmedriving

Coffeekeepsmedriving

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber needs a flat fare of $20 jsut going to NYC from NJ(Toll not included) Plus miles etc

Airports JFK and laguadia. need to start at 45.00 than add the fare..

Just my opinon

Loruber and bulay-og like this.
  8. bulay-og

bulay-og

Whhhaaatttt! Lol

9. bulay-og

bulay-og

+1

10. Jersey Jumper

Jersey Jumper

Uber should cover the tolls for both ways when going to outer boroughs. Or just do an increased flat rate to JFK or LGA

bulay-og likes this.
  11. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    If you politely insist on VZ toll they will give it to you. They don't want drivers canceling on JFK rides.

tohunt4me and bulay-og like this.
  12. Jersey Jumper

Jersey Jumper

I will try this next time I need to go that way. The return trip into S.I. is a hit being that it doesn't charge on the way out. Thanks for the advice.

tohunt4me likes this.
  13. Depending on the time of day, you come back through the city. No tolls.

14. Jersey Jumper

Jersey Jumper

Yeah. Really depends on how the traffic is though. I honestly would rather pay the extra money to save an hour of having nobody in my car. 100% depends on time of day.

15. Lenny_yellow_cab

Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    Should be like us yellow cabs in NYC where its an additional $17.50 to go to Newark Airport from NYC and the pax has to pay for return toll. I love going to Newark airport lol

The reason it's an additional $17.50 is becuz we are not allowed to pick up in Jersey so that money is to make up for the return trip empty.

tohunt4me and Rhodes like this.
  16. Skyhakw2472

Skyhakw2472

Driving:
    UberX
    Which is exactly why they should raise the rates for NJ drivers dropping off in NY, since we cannot pick up in NY and have to deadhead back to NJ and figure out either a cost effective way to get back or pay the fortune on the VZ bridge. I have only gone out that way twice so not a biggie for me yet, but one day there will be an issue I can see.

17. bulay-og

bulay-og

Unfortunately, there will be some who doesn't care about it but the $ amount they see after they have submitted the pax rating. Then, there will be some who are not treating this as a real business and will be fine with it. And there will be some who thinks about his/her bottom line, will have an issue with this.

tohunt4me likes this.
  18. JFK is one of the few places I avoid. Only in exceptional circumstances would I drive there, and almost never during rush hours.

19. SibeRescueBrian

SibeRescueBrian Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I got pinged from Princeton at 3:50 this morning. Pax immediately sent me a text letting me know she was going to JFK and asked if that was alright with me. Since that's a thoughtful gesture & it was so early, I picked her up. Got there at 4:01 and she was waiting at the door with her luggage. Dropped off at Terminal 8 at 5:20. She thanked me and gave me a $50 cash tip. Back in NJ by 6:00. Not all JFK trips are worth it, but give me more like that please!

20. TaylorHamNCheez

TaylorHamNCheez

Driving:
    Lyft
    Agreed NYC and airport drop off rates NEED to be raised.

SibeRescueBrian likes this.