Did anyone hit Lyft's PDB Upgrade this past week?

soupergloo

How'd it go? I'm waiting on hourly guarantees from Uber this afternoon to determine if I'm gonna switch back to Lyft for a while.

AlexK

I always get Lyft's promotions midweek, and it's usually if my acceptance rating is 90% or higher - as they "hand-select" the drivers.

EDIT: *always, as in, if I do receive a guarantee offer, it appears midweek. The only times I received one early was on holiday weeks, where Monday was expected to be thriving.

Honestly, this new PDB+ pretty much matches Uber, as long as your tip game is strong.

soupergloo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's up with the 50 hours of guarantees?! Lol. Wondering if they've added so many this week to compete with Lyft.
I would have loved to see a better incentive to compete with Lyft from Uber, hourly guarantees are good, but they make pings come in sooooo slowly.

RedoBeach

I would have loved to see a better incentive to compete with Lyft from Uber, hourly guarantees are good, but they make pings come in sooooo slowly.
Me tooooo!!!! They're great when they're paid, but hourly guarantee hours seem to be some of the toughest ones to push through during the week.

RedoBeach

I bet that if enough drivers each week flip flop from one platform to the other based on who's got the better bonus with enough consistent trips, we might just be able to inspire a bonus war between Uber & Lyft. I truly think Uber began the PDB incentive as a result of losing too many drivers who either switched to Lyft or finally stopped driving altogether after another rate cut. I think we have more power in this system than we realize.

Neoboi

i hit the $50 one but i wasnt trying for it......i got maybe $200 of fares/tips out of it too. im waiting to see if uber pays out my PDB and guarantees to determine if im going to stay with lyft or uber for this week.

yucklyftline

I think we have more power in this system than we realize.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Imo, they've reached the point where drivers are no longer willing to work at reduced rates, hence pdp and pdb. LA was cut to 0.90 and drivers refused to work, causing the city to surge. The same would happen here the moment the incentives go away. But by adding incentives, they can control where drivers go, much like the purpose of surge, and it's a win win for both sides.

Broken down, I'd venture to guess that the true rate, between guaranteed hours and bonuses, is between $1.50 to $2 a mile. If drivers are managing 3.5 rides/hr and working [x] hours and taking home [x], that's about where the math ends up. Yes, it's different for everyone, but at least for those maximizing on pool in the city and declining long rides.

Why don't they raise rates? Because everyone who gave ridesharing a shot and couldn't make it work, would still be here. And there are only so many rides to be made. This incentive structure had to happen, there's no other way this could have played out. Incentives are here to stay, they aren't going anywhere. If you get guaranteed hours and pdp, consider that your medallion, you're the lucky ones. The current group of posters on this forum would not be here without these incentives, including me.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I'm just pointing out that if you factor in the time and miles put in, the effective rate of pay is upwards of 1.15.

soupergloo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree wholeheartedly!

Imo, they've reached the point where drivers are no longer willing to work at reduced rates, hence pdp and pdb. LA was cut to 0.90 and drivers refused to work, causing the city to surge. The same would happen here the moment the incentives go away. But by adding incentives, they can control where drivers go, much like the purpose of surge, and it's a win win for both sides.

Broken down, I'd venture to guess that the true rate, between guaranteed hours and bonuses, is between $1.50 to $2 a mile. If drivers are managing 3.5 rides/hr and working [x] hours and taking home [x], that's about where the math ends up. Yes, it's different for everyone, but at least for those maximizing on pool in the city and declining long rides.

Why don't they raise rates? Because everyone who gave ridesharing a shot and couldn't make it work, would still be here. And there are only so many rides to be made. This incentive structure had to happen, there's no other way this could have played out. Incentives are here to stay, they aren't going anywhere. If you get guaranteed hours and pdp, consider that your medallion, you're the lucky ones. The current group of posters on this forum would not be here without these incentives, including me.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I'm just pointing out that if you factor in the time and miles put in, the effective rate of pay is upwards of 1.15.
very well said

RedoBeach

I agree wholeheartedly!

Well put yucklyftline , thank you :smiles:

I am grateful for the incentives.. I wouldn't be here either. I do wish, however, that the current structure wasn't such an "all or nothing." It definitely removes its reputation as a flexible part time gig and turns it into more of a full time, demanding position.

Euius

Incentives are here to stay, they aren't going anywhere.
I agree with much of what you say (my records show that, including bonus, about a $1.80/mile income) but not this.

What can't go on forever, won't. Uber, and now Lyft, are burning money for these incentives in the SF area. That can't go on forever.

just pointing out that if you factor in the time and miles put in, the effective rate of pay is upwards of 1.15.
If you drive SF only, then you should be getting that much just from fares. Rides pay a per minute as well, and nobody has a teleporter as far as I know.

NASCAR1991

Did lyft yestersay.
All rides like 1...maybe 2 miles long.
And the best part you still know where they are going to on lyft line.

Now why cant it be like that on uber where you stay local. Every 5th ride someone wants to go 30 minutes...which ofcourse i dont have gas for that.....and if they in sf they keep going from one side of sf to another that takes 30 min.

Where does it say on ubee that you need to be taking those long rides

Luber4.9

When demand is high (or few Plus cars are in SF) Lyft will put SF Lyft Plus vehicles in 'Plus only' mode.

Then we wait and wait for a ping, get one, and they cancel because we are too far away because there are so few Plus cars.

This makes it hard to hit those high number of rides when so much of my time is wasted.