Did anyone have PTSD after seeing the video of the Seattle woman getting struck by a driver on the expressway Saturday night?

Young Kim

A 24 year old woman, Summer Taylor, was killed late Saturday night when a driver drove onto a freeway (from a ramp) while there was a protest going on. The protesters were standing on the expressway... I guess the driver didn't see the protesters as he weaved around a car and barreled into two ladies. I guess the driver was in shock, because he fled the scene and was stopped by one of the protesters who chased him down. The video below has me very shaken, and it is one of the reasons why I am so nervous driving Uber right now. At least a couple of times, I feared I may hit someone. My only accident in my life was when a bicyclist sped east on a walkway on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago...when he ignored his "Don't Walk" sign and bolted past some cars. I slammed on the brake but he bounced off my windshield (he was unhurt). Even though I was found completely innocent (never sued either), I am still shaken when I think about it. When I reflect on it, I don't feel much guilt because I had the green light and I was not speeding (and only saw him at the last second), but I really think pedestrians and bicyclists need to follow street signs and the rules of the road. I think if it ever happens again, I may stop driving Uber and just take public transit wherever I go. May all have thoughts and prayers to Ms. Taylor, and keep a sharp eye for protesters as they drive Uber these days.

Last edited:

Young Kim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WHAT KIND OF IDIOT PROTESTS ON A FREEWAY !?!?

THIS HAPPENED AT NIGHT ????

STAND IN FRONT OF A JET ENGINE TO PROTEST NOISE.
My friend, I understand your frustration. Protesters should avoid the freeway of all places (and as you said especially at night)! In Chicago, I have been diverted a bunch of times since the protests started, and I was diverted on Lake Shore Drive (where cars go 55). I am so careful these days, almost to the point of being paranoid. I think if I ever hit someone, I may have such mental trauma I may stop driving for life. I respect protesters, but they should be careful to avoid open roads like the freeways. I can't stand to think of Ms. Taylor as she was only 24 years old!!! She had her whole life ahead of her, literally like 70 more years with today's modern medicine.

Young Kim

I've become very desensitized.

I'm sure I'll sleep like a baby even after watching this.
ColdRider, but the sounds starting at 7 seconds into the clip, sounding like gunshots... ugh. It is good that you are cool as a cat I suppose. That video clip... seared into my mind.

Young Kim

That guy came around that van just fast enough that there was no way he wasn't going to hit someone.

It's his fault for going that fast up the ramp when he saw stopped cars.
I agree the driver was driving too fast, and didn't see any people standing behind the car he drove around in his Jaguar.
Post automatically merged:

Ok
Freeway was Closed.
So driver is the idiot.
But still !

What good does protesting IN a freeway do ?

Just asking to create MORE TROUBLE !
I read that protesters blocked off the freeway for many many days straight, but after this the Highway Patrol said that they would arrest anyone else standing on the freeways. This happened in Seattle, and there as many know a LOT of problems brewing there. Protesters should avoid expressways, as there is almost NO time to avoid an accident if things go awry.
Post automatically merged:

Summer Taylor...RIP

Last edited:

WindyCityAnt

My friend, I understand your frustration. Protesters should avoid the freeway of all places (and as you said especially at night)! In Chicago, I have been diverted a bunch of times since the protests started, and I was diverted on Lake Shore Drive (where cars go 55). I am so careful these days, almost to the point of being paranoid. I think if I ever hit someone, I may have such mental trauma I may stop driving for life. I respect protesters, but they should be careful to avoid open roads like the freeways. I can't stand to think of Ms. Taylor as she was only 24 years old!!! She had her whole life ahead of her, literally like 70 more years with today's modern medicine.
You are very partially correct here sir.

First of all....

CPD stopped the protesters at every angle, EVERY time during all this. So just stop there!!!!

This has NOTHING to do with killings of children, and the recent gun violence in Chicago as a If that was the point you are looking at.

Its a whole country wide interstate law of nobody can be walking on them.🤔

Has it happened here YES!

But you cant honestly say you were diverted because of protesters. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just be careful and mindful of everyone around you at ALL times.

Problem solved.

Young Kim

You are very partially correct here sir.

First of all....

CPD stopped the protesters at every angle, EVERY time during all this. So just stop there!!!!

This has NOTHING to do with killings of children, and the recent gun violence in Chicago as a If that was the point you are looking at.

Its a whole country wide interstate law of nobody can be walking on them.🤔

Has it happened here YES!

But you cant honestly say you were diverted because of protesters. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just be careful and mindful of everyone around you at ALL times.

Problem solved.
Yes, CPD (Chicago Police Department) has the roads pretty well covered. I have noticed though that it seems pedestrians are a lot less careful these days. And you mentioned the recent gun violence in Chicago, which is all over the news today...as 77 citizens were shot, and 17 people were killed over the weekend. A 7 year old girl was shot and killed!

It really hurts to see my beloved city being torn apart by gun violence. When I say I was diverted, I mean I had to take alternate routes to get to my destinations. Whenever I see roads blocked off, I am thinking there may be people walking around on the streets.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

100% driver fault the other cars was turned sideways. In any scenario you slow down to survey whats going on rather accidental, workers, or this case protesters.
Moral of Story

DONT BLOCK FREEWAYS.

DONT FALSELY IMPRISON TRAFFIC.

Dont COMPLAIN when the Building you are Peacefully Protesting by LOOTING & BURNING COLLAPSES ON YOU !!!

(* If you wouldnt of Been there
It wouldnt have Happened !!)

Last edited:

doyousensehumor

Like a lot of tragedies, there was a chain of events that contributed to it.

Ironically, the same police the protesters are protesting against, are going to stop them from protesting in an active freeway in order not to have repeat of these results. Therefore saving protesters lives, so that they may protest against police another day. 👍

tohunt4me

Ironically, the same police the protesters are protesting against, are going to stop them from protesting in an active freeway in order not to have repeat of these results. Therefore saving protesters lives, so that they may protest against police another day. 👍
When they RUN out of food
Think they will figure out
BLOCKING HIGHWAY BAD.
NO FOOD GETS IN.

Young Kim

I like the way you put it, the irony is there. Tragedy all around. 19 DAYS of a major freeway being cut off!! If this happened in any of the freeways in Chicago, I think I would hurl and vomit. Thinking of say the Eisenhower Expressway being shut down and having to take a local West-East street from downtown to Oak Park would make my head spin and explode. An Uber ride from Oak Park to the Chicago Loop would be double time. And because I would have to take local with so many Chicago potholes... not fun.

Galveston

Protesting on the freeway is stupid and hurts the causes and I’m otherwise in favor of protests but if my cat needs to get to the vet no one is stopping me

Young Kim

100% driver fault the other cars was turned sideways. In any scenario you slow down to survey whats going on rather accidental, workers, or this case protesters.
I wish they put a photo up of any signs or markers leading up to the protesters. Come to think of it, it is good that more people did not get hit. The driver initially slowed down and nearly stopped after sending the girls into orbit, so that makes me think it was accidental and not intentional. If the driver really was confused and only saw the sole car parked sideways, he may have made a legitimate error and did not see the people chanting on the other side of the car.

Galveston

I wish they put a photo up of any signs or markers leading up to the protesters. Come to think of it, it is good that more people did not get hit. The driver initially slowed down and nearly stopped after sending the girls into orbit, so that makes me think it was accidental and not intentional.
The freeway was blocked off by police and the drive went the wrong way up a ramp