Did anyone drive UberSki last winter?

Aubiewood

Was it worth doing? Can you accept UberX and UberSki pings, or do you have to be one at a time? Finally, how do I get approved? I found the requirements, but nowhere to apply. Maybe have to wait to sign up? Was just thinking I'd set it up for this winter.

Any thoughts? Pros, cons?

SEAL Team 5

Oh Papa, very funny. No. People needing rides to ski resorts need a car with a ski rack or box and AWD. There's a whopping $4 charge, of which I'll get $3.20. But hoping the handling of skis might generate a tip every now and then.
Sounds like an uphill battle to me. But the pay is definitely downhill. I even live in Phoenix, but I can easily figure this one out. Most people love to ski on nice fresh snow, like right after a big storm. Many times after a big snow storm the roads are not in the best shape to drive on. What the hell, for $.85 a mile I'll take my chances of driving off a mountainside road that's covered in ice.
Simple Math
Driver + Car + Uber = no word in Webster's
Dictionary can describe.

Aubiewood

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff, Seal. I was envisioning airport runs preferably under surge and decent conditions. No need for me to go online if things are dicey.

But your points are well taken.

Aubiewood

Capowood,

Much less these days since surge in our area has virtually disappeared. But yes, still driving some. Thoughts on UberSki?

Capowood

I have not been approved to drive yet, though I do not have an AWD, so that won't work. It would seem like a good fare though, roads around here are cleared up pretty quickly it seems. If I had AWD i would do it for sure.
I am in South Jordan and thought about doing XL, though there doesn't seem to be a lot of Active drivers in UT on here.
(If you go to the SLC post we could probably get an official SLC forum going though!)
My infiniti is only 2011 (needsto be 2012 to be select) so select is out too. I have heard x is bad unless getting 35 mpg or more.
Sound right to you?

Shad

I was talking to the local team last time I went in to office hours and they said that all you had to do was take a picture of your car showing the racks installed, with the license plate visible in the photo so they can verify the racks are on YOUR car, and you'd get added to the SKI queue. They already know by the VIN whether it's AWD or not. I've been too lazy to put my snowboard racks on to take the required photo.. Since resorts are starting to open, I guess I should get em on...

Aubiewood

I have not been approved to drive yet, though I do not have an AWD, so that won't work. It would seem like a good fare though, roads around here are cleared up pretty quickly it seems. If I had AWD i would do it for sure.
I am in South Jordan and thought about doing XL, though there doesn't seem to be a lot of Active drivers in UT on here.
(If you go to the SLC post we could probably get an official SLC forum going though!)
My infiniti is only 2011 (needsto be 2012 to be select) so select is out too. I have heard x is bad unless getting 35 mpg or more.
Sound right to you?
Yeah that sound about right. I've gotten to where I only drive when I believe surge pricing is likely - not too often in last few months. Too many recent shifts where I go drive for 4-5 hours (usually weekend nights in Park City) and come home with like $50-$60 gross. That sucks when you consider gas, wear & tear, etc. Not worth it at all. An occasional big tipper can help my mood a bit, but those are few and far between.

Looking forward to Sundance Film Festival - plan on driving every available moment that week. Also, may look to do some airport runs with UberSki. I do feel like those will net decent tips - I have a good size ski box on an Outback, so I plan on being very careful with skis and such. High dollar riders on vacation more likely to tip well.

Shad

Yeah, the last couple months have really sucked. I'm really hoping things pick up this next week with holiday parties and skiers.. I miss making 200-300 per night. barely crackin 100 really sucks.

OneDay

UberSki rates i Heard is identical to UberX rates besides a 4 dollar surcharge and what if you're simply just transporting people short distances to move their skis?

Shad

I've heard that even though it's the same rate with the $4 fee, the rides are generally longer. People aren't taking their skis two blocks, they are taking them up to the mountains to ski. So say you pick up someone at the little america hotel that's going up to snowbird, current x estimate is $28-$38.. Add the $4 surcharge on to it and subtract 25%.. Much better than a $3 short trip..