Diary of a Uber pro gold status ant

gotrocks

I got an email before this weekend (that probably went out to everybody) giving me a one time special upgrade to gold status in spite of my 51% acceptance rate and 9% cancellation rate. Friday night I decided to put it to the test and see what it’s truly like to drive like an “Uber pro”. This would require me to try and accept every ride without canceling anything. I’d have to allow the app to dictate my night instead of my typical strategies, common sense, and instincts. I pushed my misgivings aside and tried to stay truly objective. The end result is in. Uber Pro is everything I thought it was and much worse!

First things first. The trip duration and trip direction feature wasn’t working. This was the one thing I was looking forward to trying. I scrolled through the terms and conditions of Uber Pro and found out that it’s not even available in Philadelphia. You’ll get small amount of cash back using the Uber debit card and “priority airport rematch” (whatever that means) for all the platinum pro airport ants. The one thing everybody wants is the ability to make more money instead of all the useless bullshit. What’s worse is Uber Pro is a huge pay cut. Its clear that drivers trading in their brain in exchange for letting the app dictate will get another in a long series of paycuts. Bend over, it’s much less painful. I’m sure Uber’s attempt to convert more drivers into mindless ants is working. Hell, I often found myself checking to see if my statistics changed.

The only thing that seems like it has any real value is the Arizona St. University degree program thats part of pro. It could makes sense for someone who wants to use it for themselves or another family member. I’m not sure what the bare ant minimum standards are to stay in the program. It seems to good to be true so there’s probably a catch. 3D5ADAC5-CF50-4259-BF55-BC1666D3DB3E.jpeg 9232B34E-359D-4A6E-8AFE-1230CFF3577E.jpeg 53DD7C14-FB75-4333-A971-914B2B9AABCB.jpeg 16F0020C-2743-4CE5-8383-B790B0AF6FCE.jpeg

Ian Richard Markham

I can say that in Dallas Uber pro is pretty cool so far. Trip direction and time is accurate and has been a game changer for my strategy. I even had my first experience working with Premium Support and they added this little paragraph at the end of their reply...

“On the other hand, your 4.96 ratings and 6,070 completed trips are a milestone. It really shows your passion for providing excellent service. We're grateful that you took the time to contact us. Thank you so much!”

VictorD

I can say that in Dallas Uber pro is pretty cool so far. Trip direction and time is accurate and has been a game changer for my strategy. I even had my first experience working with Premium Support and they added this little paragraph at the end of their reply...

“On the other hand, your 4.96 ratings and 6,070 completed trips are a milestone. It really shows your passion for providing excellent service. We're grateful that you took the time to contact us. Thank you so much!”

Blind ignorance is just so bliss.

Antvirus

Blind ignorance is just so bliss.
Seriously....

WTF up.
You're being trained to pee on a mat like a puppy.

On a side note
@Ian Richard Markham is a fantastic serial killer name
:smiles:

Last edited:

gotrocks

The trip direction and time is a useless feature if it forces you to accept just about every ride in order to maintain Pro status. Doing that takes away strategy which makes it another pay cut.

Last edited:

bassplya

Unfortunately all that “stuff” adds nothing to the bottom line.

Wex

So far most of my first rides are 3 to 4 miles away which is ridiculous but I want this free tuition. I accept them and drive slow as @@@@ to get my pick up premium. Might even stop and let traffic pass me on the way a few times too. This morning I drove 15 minutes to pick up a lady who's 15 minute late to her train. Boy was that a joyful first ride to start my week out. She complained on the phone the entire way about it. Even if I was 5 minutes away or closer she would have still missed her train. I also accept these far away rides because most times they cancel before i even start heading to the pick up. it doesn't hurt my acceptance rating or cancellations that way. At this rate it will take me a month to get my ratings up to be able to enjoy any benefits.

gotrocks

I hope the free tuition perk turns out to be legit but based on Uber’s previous track record I have serious doubts. 3,000 rides to start with along with all the other pro guidelines. For people who plan to take advantage of it the best option might be to do the bare ant minimum (lots of short rides) to maintain status in the shortest amount of time and find another way to pay the bills. Meanwhile hope they don’t discontinue or change the program while you’re working to complete it. I’d be interested for a family member but only have around 1,500 lifetime rides and drive about 10-15 hours a week. I need to get my head examined if I’m still doing this for another 1,500 rides.

Antvirus

I hope the free tuition perk turns out to be legit but based on Uber’s previous track record I have serious doubts. 3,000 rides to start with along with all the other pro guidelines. For people who plan to take advantage of it the best option might be to do the bare ant minimum (lots of short rides) to maintain status in the shortest amount of time and find another way to pay the bills. Meanwhile hope they don’t discontinue or change the program while you’re working to complete it. I’d be interested for a family member but only have around 1,500 lifetime rides and drive about 10-15 hours a week. I need to get my head examined if I’m still doing this for another 1,500 rides.
Here is what will happen.
You will get the tuition, work hard, achieve a 3.7 (online gpa) with graduation only one month away.
As you're driving, you stop at a red light. You're looking through the uber app, checking your balance, promotions, etc.
The light turns green and as you attempt to get back to the Uber map, a pool request comes in BUT you accidentally tap the top left portion of your screen and decline.
This lowers your acceptance rate to 84%
The Dean from ASU online college, who is also a part-time shift supervisor at The Boot Barn, hears the news of your acceptance rate dip while on his break. After he finishes his cactus sandwich, he calls to inform you that you do not meet the requirements for graduation.

Last edited:

pilotride

Hell's gonna freeze over before Uber does something actually beneficial for driver's earnings and not take it back.

Uber wants you driving for as long as possible and obediently take every ride request they send you. They are gonna keep paying you less and less, so that it takes longer and longer to reach your earnings goals, if at all possible.

Uber Pro is their latest attempt at trying to set those drivers straight who don't blindly accept every ride, who are not afraid to cancel on an unreasonable ride and who actually use their head instead of believing that Uber is acting in their best interest.

Of course there will be those who fall for it. Until they realize they're being screwed or until Uber pulls a bait and switch move, like they always do. They have the power to do so and they're not gonna consult you (drivers) before doing so.

Not me, thanks.

Wex

I also just noticed the quest was for 5 days not 7.... so I probably won't be able to complete it

bobby747

got rocks dont count on what they say...what if you are told..someone said you were drinking and they deactactived you...call them about whats the cash price for the online school..i bet its cheap. uber never gives you anything..THIER GOING TO GIVE YOU SCHOOLING TO MAKE MORE MONEY . AND NOT BE AN ANT...WHY????

bobby747

good point in xl mode . you wont get many not to take...but watch them take that away...I do mostly xl... and wav. but x when I need some quests only..I never got this feature... dont car..5 years of driving only.....gruber Haha

gotrocks

got rocks dont count on what they say...what if you are told..someone said you were drinking and they deactactived you...call them about whats the cash price for the online school..i bet its cheap. uber never gives you anything..THIER GOING TO GIVE YOU SCHOOLING TO MAKE MORE MONEY . AND NOT BE AN ANT...WHY????
Good point Bobby. I never thought about what would happen if you were deactivated. They probably kick you out of the program even for a short 24hr deactivation. The odds are pretty high that a driver will get deactivated at some point for a false claim with 3,000 rides. Read the fine print. Btw-the cost is between $520-$780 per credit hour. That’s $7,800-$10,920 per semester for full time (5 classes/3 credits per class). Nothing is for free. The fine print probably tells the real story.

Workforfood

Reading the requirements it states that you must complete a FAFSA first. If you get aid from FAFSA you must complete the courses. If you don't you may be required to pay back! Ouch!!!