Diametrically opposed interests

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Even though the Rideshare companies like to tell us how much they care and how much we're all just one great big team we clearly are not. There are a number of situations where our interests and motivations are diametrically opposed.

Case in point, the number of drivers on the road. If we really were just one big company where the Rideshare companies owned and maintained and insured the vehicles then they would want to try to find a sweet spot with not too few nor too many vehicles on the road. Too few Vehicles would mean they wouldn't be able to adequately service their customers, and too many vehicles would be an wasted expense that would eat into their profits.

However since the drivers are a separate entity and we shoulder those burdens the Rideshare companies have no reason to try and strike a balance and have neither too few nor too many Riders on the road. For the Rideshare companies having too few drivers available is a problem. For the Rideshare companies having just enough drivers we're having 5 times more drivers than they need is no different. In fact for them the best thing is to just have tons of drivers all over the place so when a rider calls for a ride there's a car close by that's available. As far as the Rideshare company is concerned there is no downside to having yet more and more drivers since an idle driver doesn't cost them anything. But for the driver who has a number of fixed expenses sitting half the day idle waiting for a ride is a problem. It's just not one that the Rideshare companies share.

In the year that I've been doing this I've noticed in my market that there's more and more drivers everyday and I have much more idle time when I can't get rides and it's also much harder to work my way home using destination mode.

It used to be that as long as I was willing to put in the hours I knew how much I could bring home. Now it's not that way, I have good days and I have bad days. I have to be very careful about what time of day I start, which places I end up in, and which rides I reject. It used to be I could just take rides willy-nilly and end up wherever I went and when I wanted to go home just put on destination mode and catch rides all the way home. Now often I sit waiting for rides and destination mode times out before I get home. Driving a long ride back home with no Rider memes my expense to profit ratio is becoming worse.

I hope that other drivers will become frustrated and stop driving and the market won't be so oversaturated. Also I think I need to start looking for something else to do that brings in a more reliable income.

Meanwhile the Rideshare companies just keep advertising for more and more people to become drivers. They have these really fun looking ads where an apparent driver & Rider are having an ecstatic time together. The companies highlight their quote-unquote driver who quit their six-figure corporate job because they wanted to enjoy life making big bucks as a Rideshare driver and enjoy all the great passengers. They fail to mention that you'll just be getting a cut that is quite a bit less than the cost of taxi fare and you get no benefits, oh and half the Riders are jerks.

IR12

Even though the Rideshare companies like to tell us how much they care and how much we're all just one great big team we clearly are not. There are a number of situations where our interests and motivations are diametrically opposed.

Case in point, the number of drivers on the road. If we really were just one big company where the Rideshare companies owned and maintained and insured the vehicles then they would want to try to find a sweet spot with not too few nor too many vehicles on the road. Too few Vehicles would mean they wouldn't be able to adequately service their customers, and too many vehicles would be an wasted expense that would eat into their profits.

However since the drivers are a separate entity and we shoulder those burdens the Rideshare companies have no reason to try and strike a balance and have neither too few nor too many Riders on the road. For the Rideshare companies having too few drivers available is a problem. For the Rideshare companies having just enough drivers we're having 5 times more drivers than they need is no different. In fact for them the best thing is to just have tons of drivers all over the place so when a rider calls for a ride there's a car close by that's available. As far as the Rideshare company is concerned there is no downside to having yet more and more drivers since an idle driver doesn't cost them anything. But for the driver who has a number of fixed expenses sitting half the day idle waiting for a ride is a problem. It's just not one that the Rideshare companies share.

In the year that I've been doing this I've noticed in my market that there's more and more drivers everyday and I have much more idle time when I can't get rides and it's also much harder to work my way home using destination mode.

It used to be that as long as I was willing to put in the hours I knew how much I could bring home. Now it's not that way, I have good days and I have bad days. I have to be very careful about what time of day I start, which places I end up in, and which rides I reject. It used to be I could just take rides willy-nilly and end up wherever I went and when I wanted to go home just put on destination mode and catch rides all the way home. Now often I sit waiting for rides and destination mode times out before I get home. Driving a long ride back home with no Rider memes my expense to profit ratio is becoming worse.

I hope that other drivers will become frustrated and stop driving and the market won't be so oversaturated. Also I think I need to start looking for something else to do that brings in a more reliable income.

Meanwhile the Rideshare companies just keep advertising for more and more people to become drivers. They have these really fun looking ads where an apparent driver & Rider are having an ecstatic time together. The companies highlight their quote-unquote driver who quit their six-figure corporate job because they wanted to enjoy life making big bucks as a Rideshare driver and enjoy all the great passengers. They fail to mention that you'll just be getting a cut that is quite a bit less than the cost of taxi fare and you get no benefits, oh and half the Riders are jerks.
No disrespect but, duh.
Ridesharing just sucks in general. At least you know the basics & are better able to plan.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

No disrespect but, duh.
Ridesharing just sucks in general. At least you know the basics & are better able to plan.
Yeah and that's kind of my point. People's motivations and desires are pretty easy to understand and expect. Where our desires and motivations aligned We Make Beautiful music together. When they are opposed there's always strife and conflict.

The Rideshare model is so different from a normal company. Since our employers never really have to deal with us and we're basically just a commodity that they can replace quickly and easily really changes the dynamic.

OldBay

I get what you are saying. They paint a picture of harmony, yet drivers are a disposable commodity to them.

I dont see how rideshare can be anything more than a minimum wage job. (After expenses). It looks like you are making 15-25 an hour if you have a clue, until you factor in depreciation, repairs, and gas. Top it off with lack of health insurance and its a stinker of a job.

The only factor that will reduce drivers is that they can be paid more elsewhere. Thats why there arent 10x too many drivers.

UberBeemer

Rideshare may not be a road to riches, but some people figured out how to make a decent living. Yes, it is easier if its your side job. But if you jump into it full time you have to be able to adapt your approach from time to time, and persevere.

Nats121

No disrespect but, duh.
It didn't suck in 2013-14 when the pay rates were more than TRIPLE what they are now.

Driver morale was HIGH at that time.

JimD

Uber will never do what, we, as a group would like them to do. To see them turn back the clock is wishful thinking. Every person has a different reason and/or rationale for driving. There is seemingly a never-ending supply of drivers and the marketplace has put it all into motion and this is what it looks like. I go and drive to meet my goals. I don't dwell on the bad stuff because it gets me nothing. Maybe someone might say i'm nuts - i'll nod and smile.........