DIA returns; Pikes Peak Lot

Scratch

During the month of June and July, the first few weeks of my time as a new Uber driver, ALL of my airport dropoffs would always yield a return trip, even if that meant driving around DIA a couple times until another request came in.

Now, as of last week, I've had five dropoffs with ZERO return trips, making the original trips unprofitable, since I'm now leaving DIA with an empty car.

I have asked Uber about this and they keep referring me back to the same URL that informs me of the Pikes Peak lot, the only place we're allowed to stage. Today, after a dropoff, I've parked in that lot and I've been waiting now for over 30 minutes to get another ride request. Nothin'. Not a goddamned thing. This airport is busy enough throughout most of the day/night that this shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas? Is this the result of an influx of new drivers? Has DIA or Uber changed their rules about airport pickups? What's the story?

Last edited:

KevRyde

Is this the result of an influx of new drivers? Has DIA or Uber changed their rules about airport pickups? What's the story?
There are already at least a dozen threads devoted to this subject. Other than your luck, nothing has changed (including the fact that Uber continues to oversaturate the market by constantly onboarding new drivers).

Last edited:

Scratch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are already at least a dozen threads devoted to this subject. Other than your luck, nothing has changed (including the fact that Uber continues to oversaturate the market by constantly onboarding new drivers).
None of this should be about luck. We're paying for lead generation based upon proximity.

I'll look for these other apparently obvious and abundant threads.

Jimmy Bernat

Man I must be getting lucky my last 9 of my last 10 DIA rides yielded a return ride without even having to do loop .
The one drop off I didn't get a return was at 6am so no incoming flights I just dropped off and dead headed back

Jimmy Bernat

If I get 2 DIA Select Runs with 1 return in the AM I'm done for the day . $120-$150 for 3 rides .

I've had a few days where I've gotten a Select ride from my living room pick up within a half a mile of my place to DIA , then snagged a Select Ride to Boulder and a boulder back to Denver . $150 1.5 hours and my day is done .

It's nearly impossible in my opinion to make money just doing UberX gotta have XL or Select .

I don't need to do the call routine on UberSelect because 90% of the rides are going to DIA and heck even if it's just LoHi to Union Station it's still a quick $7

Fshdaspcl

As an X driver you can hit patches of profitability.

Last night $160 in just under 3 hours back and forth to Dia twice one with a 1.9X surge attached which helped

Heard Red Rocks hit a 6x surge the last couple nights but I normally stay clear of that mess...

Jimmy Bernat

Red Rocks is a disaster . I dropped off at dolly parton last week and as I was leaving people kept waiving me down for rides . I ended up taking 4 different groups the 1 mile up the hill . I told them I couldn't charge them but I would be nice and give them a ride for free. All 4 groups dropped a $20 in my car. Made $120 in an hour

Jimmy Bernat

Well I could see that from Dolly fans pretty sure 20 year olds wouldnt be so generous
True story . The group of women I dropped off wanted me to come with them with their extra ticket too lol
I wouldn't ever do that again as it's too risky , even saying you'll do it as a gesture . Too grey for me

Frontier Guy

Hate to say it, but it is totally luck of the draw. Out of 40 DIA outbounds, I've had maybe 10 returns. In the last week, I've had better than normal luck, including one really early. Since I normally drive the early AM schedule, returns are even more scarce. Sat. morning, I had 2 DIA outbounds and 1 DIA return, all complete before 8 am, that's a miracle, rarely happens. Same with the previous weekend, Lodo to DIA, DIA to Boulder, Boulder to DIA, DIA to Lodo. It's no different from those days when I get zero DIA's at all.

Frontier Guy

Red Rocks is a disaster . I dropped off at dolly parton last week and as I was leaving people kept waiving me down for rides . I ended up taking 4 different groups the 1 mile up the hill . I told them I couldn't charge them but I would be nice and give them a ride for free. All 4 groups dropped a $20 in my car. Made $120 in an hour
As an X driver you can hit patches of profitability.

Last night $160 in just under 3 hours back and forth to Dia twice one with a 1.9X surge attached which helped

Heard Red Rocks hit a 6x surge the last couple nights but I normally stay clear of that mess...
I did two Red Rocks drops on Sat. evening. Whereas drops were decent, I can see where the pickups could be a total nightmare. Oh, and having the small trade dress stickers in the window is a bad idea, both times almost got refused access to the drop area.

Jimmy Bernat

I did two Red Rocks drops on Sat. evening. Whereas drops were decent, I can see where the pickups could be a total nightmare. Oh, and having the small trade dress stickers in the window is a bad idea, both times almost got refused access to the drop area.
That's very strange because with the Trade dress on you have access to the upper lot where normal cars can't go . Some people have been printing off uber logos and just putting in their window so that they can access these areas

Frontier Guy

That's very strange because with the Trade dress on you have access to the upper lot where normal cars can't go . Some people have been printing off uber logos and just putting in their window so that they can access these areas
I think it's because the small trade dress, I have the combined Uber/Lyft that someone on the forums created, is less obvious to the security. When we made the first stop by the box office, I told the guy I was dropping off Uber passengers, he said to go up to the first stop sign and turn right. When I got there, the girl blocking the barricades was motioning traffic ahead, I put on my right signal and she motioned straight, I nosed towards her and pointed out my Uber sticker, then she let me up. As I went by, she said she almost didn't see the sticker because it was too small.

mattadams

What's the point of having the sticker if it can't be seen? I'd rather either have no sticker, or have one that is at least reasonably well seen...

Frontier Guy

Talked to a neighbor today, he said that his drop off at Red Rocks on Sat., even though he had 4 people in his car with him, and his trade dress, they asked to see his phone to confirm that he was really Uber/Lyft and was enroute to a drop off, the guy even said the persons name to confirm that was who was in the car.

Jimmy Bernat

Talked to a neighbor today, he said that his drop off at Red Rocks on Sat., even though he had 4 people in his car with him, and his trade dress, they asked to see his phone to confirm that he was really Uber/Lyft and was enroute to a drop off, the guy even said the persons name to confirm that was who was in the car.
Wow I haven't been up there since the pretty lights show last week but I've done a lot of drop offs there now and they never even hesitate just wave me in

jeffeCo

I had the same thing happen last week. I went in on the south gate through morrison. A guy at the bottom asked to see my app. It was on maps at the time so I had to load up the app and then showed him. From there I could just flash my badge.