1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

DIA Auto Text from Uber Re: Staging Area

Discussion in 'Denver' started by SeeTeeDee, Jun 17, 2016.

1. SeeTeeDee

SeeTeeDee

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    UBER: HEAD TO THE DEN STAGING AREA TO QUICKLY RECEIVE AN AIRPORT REQUEST. Wait times are short with only 7 cars waiting; sent at (Fri Jun 17 2016 06:05:00 GMT-0600).

I received this text message upon arriving at DIA at six this morning. Does this mean that DIA officially has a queue system in place? We now know that it's for sure Geo fenced, right?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  2. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Hmmm I don't know how I feel about that. Haven't been to the airport today but went yesterday once with a level 4 ping while dropping off a pax on level 6 . It would be nice to know that you can just chill in a lot watch some youtube or whatever while waiting for a ping .

Anyone else seen this ?

Skyviper likes this.
  3. SeeTeeDee

SeeTeeDee

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Had another driver pull over to ask me about it while I was at the gas station off of Tower Rd. He said his text told him 12 cars waiting. This is getting interesting.

4. Stanley B

Stanley B

I did a few DIA pickups last night while these uber messages were going out and nothing was different. Got pinged on level 6 after a dropoff, and also got pinged on east side level 4 for a pickup on west side level 4.

5. KevRyde

KevRyde

Driving:
    UberXL
    The rider app still shows swarms of available cars on both terminal sides and a one minute wait time for a driver. I just got an UberX ping sitting next to 612 and got no such text message when I logged on as available. I can't imagine Uber would implement a queue system without any prior notice. My hunch is that they're perhaps testing an update and someone screwed up and loaded the update on a production server instead of a test server.

In the past week or so I've experienced a few screwy things on the app at DIA like a few requests coming in with no door reference and even one UberX request that told me to go to level 5.

Screenshot_2016-06-12-09-12-21.png Screenshot_2016-06-11-12-04-55.png

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yesterday I got a ping while dropping off a pax on level 6 and all it said was DIA . I had to call the customer to figure out what door he was going to be at . So I guess add that to the weird Uber DIA glitches

7. Frontier Guy

Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Did two Uber drop offs at DIA this afternoon, both times I got the same text from Uber four times. Can't find anything about it, might have to swing by the office tomorrow. Need a new trade dress sticker anyhow.

8. After the drop I received the text (7 cars are waiting in the cue and go to staging area). I decided to give it a shot but could not get into Pikes Peak as it was full. Headed to Mt. Elbert and nothing good came out of it, left the lot after 45 mins. :(

9. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I never got a ride to the airport yesterday or today but last night I dropped a couple off at the Holiday Inn in Stapleton and got the Dia que text. Thought that was weird being almost 20 miles from Dia

10. Fshdaspcl

Fshdaspcl

Driving:
    UberX
    I got the text this morning as I hit 56th going into the airport. I actually like the idea of first come first serve instead of these clowns ducked down in their cars parked in departures. Put everyone on the same playing field. Would even like it better if it was top rating go to the top of the que. I'm not the top but I'd get rides faster than I do now.

Skyviper likes this.
  11. KevRyde

KevRyde

Driving:
    UberXL
    My first ride this morning was an XL from Wheat Ridge with a stop downtown to pick up more riders and then onto Havana & 51st for the drop off at a new distillery. Whenever I'm that close to DIA, I almost always head there empty. A few minutes later, I snagged another XL pickup on my first loop, so it seemed like business as usual to me. It did occur to me after I posted yesterday that I have Uber text updates disabled, so that could explain why I haven't received any of those [apparently meaningless] texts.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Skyviper likes this.
  12. HMMRHD

HMMRHD

Has anyone received the DIA welcome text and it was any number other than 7 cars waiting ahead?

I'm inclined to agree with a previous poster that it is a test message that some dumb Uber employee made live. There is no way they would start a fifo queue without sending out messages about it.

13. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I got this one from Stapleton last night with number 8

Finally took a pax to DIA today no text but also no ping. That's the first time I haven't gotten a return ride in probably 20 trips to DIA

Attached Files:

14. beezlewaxin

beezlewaxin

Driving:
    Lyft
    I had a conversation with a yellowjacket while waiting for my pax to walk over to me on level 4W.

He said:
    • My pax should be *at the curb waiting* before I approach termimal. He is right, and I agree and apologize,
    • Then he says I really need to be displaying my trade dress at all times, as he had seem me put it up moments ago so my ninja skills need some work
    • I then painted myself into a corner by saying I had just flipped into driver mode and got the request and put my trade dress up as soon as i could,
    • To which he schooled me by saying I shouldnt be staging at the terminal, and that I should only be approaching the terminal *after* accepting a ride request, and I assume waiting to approach terminal until pax is ready and waiting at the curb, to which i apologized, and thankfully my pax showed up as I dont think i could have stalled any longer.
    He was actually very patient and reasonable, and said that I needed to start following the rules because they will begin enforcing them soon..

It was during this pickup that I got an UBER text this morning:
    I had taken a pax from downtown to the enterprise car rental building, and then I proceeded to head to the terminal. I ended up doing a couple laps, 6W, 6E, 6W and got a ping on UberX for door 400.

I called to confirm door and give 3min notice. Pax was at 512, I said I would meet them at door 412, and proceeded to drive very slowly to give them time to come down one level.

As I was approaching door 412, I realized I had forgotten to display my Uber "trade dress", which I can do very quickly. Since I was on left side of median, I used a passing SUV as cover while I used my ninja skills and go-go-gadget-arm to slide that U logo into the flimsy plastic sleave uber provides, seemingly unseen.

I am stopped and dialing my pax, then I notice a yellowjacket on a bicycle heading towards me against traffic.. he goes past me so I creep up to door 410, then I have to stop and call my pax, to tell them I will have to circle if they are not basically at my car. Before I can do that the bicycle yellowjacket says a few things to me, which I listed at the start of this post...

DenverRider likes this.
  15. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Dropped an UberX PAX off on East 6 and as I was pulling away got a ping for an UberSelect on West 4 . So you can still get pings , I did however get the 8 cars ahead text and uber notification as I was passing the Devil Horse

DenverRider likes this.
  16. Frontier Guy

Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Picked up a pax at Northfield heading to Park Hill area, got the text to head to the staging area, never did go to Uber's office today to ask about it. Had so much fun with the fake surge today/tonight. All day central downtown was busy, Uber was Yellow, with no surge rate shown, a whopping $5.00 in surge fares, yet did at least 8 fares in that yellow area, so apparently there was no actual surge rate, just the normal rate.

My last pax of the night was on Lyft, couple of DU students. Interesting observation from them about drivers. Both said the same, the drivers who have both stickers in the window, that actually drive for both (didn't realize some are faking it), are nicer and better to get along with, seem to be better drivers. The Uber only drivers are generally total creeps, rude, sometimes scary, Lyft only drivers are generally friendlier. They both said if they ask how long the driver has been doing this, and told under 2 months, prepare for a scary ride, the longer the driver has been at it, the better the trip. Only the one girl had a car, but they either walk or use Lyft to get around.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Skyviper and beezlewaxin like this.
  17. thurston

thurston

Driving:
    UberX
    Got the text tonight (at Quebec & MLK); said "2 cars"

18. KevRyde

KevRyde

Driving:
    UberXL
    In light of Uber's refusal to include DIA or any major airport as part of a dynamic surge area, I wonder if these new text updates - which mention nothing about a queue - is simply a way for Uber to increase supply at DIA during the rare periods when both terminal sides aren't already swarming with available drivers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  19. KevRyde

KevRyde

Driving:
    UberXL
    I call every pax and say, "Hey [pax name if I can pronounce it], Kevin with Uber... I'm [circling around to pick you up <or> pulling up to level four as we speak], so I'm calling ahead to confirm your pickup location. It says you're at door 411 - is that correct?" When they confirm, I say, "when you see my [color] minivan pulling up, give me a wave so I know who I'm looking for." I would estimate that 80-90% of riders are at the door they entered and ready to be picked up. On the few occasions where it's apparent they're still making their way down to level four, I matter of factly tell them that the security folks don't let us wait even 5 or 10 seconds, and if they're not outside ready to hop in when I pull up that I may have to circle around again. If they cop an attitude about that, I interrupt and tell them, "I'm going to pass on this ride. I'll cancel so you can request another driver."

My goal is to stay under the radar and off the "naughty driver list", and so far I think I've been successful.

Skyviper and SeeTeeDee like this.
  20. Frontier Guy

Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    I did 7 airports in the last few days, watched 5 or 6 drivers get reamed by the cops for not dropping and driving, but instead dragging their feet. The worst was Friday night, gold Toyota Camry. Guy dropped two pax and luggage, I rolled up as he was unloading the luggage. My two pax got out, I grabbed two suitcases and a carry out of the bed, was back in and trip completed before this guy was done. From what I could see, he gently closed his trunk, slowly got in the car, put his seat belt on, adjusted his seat belt, took a drink of soda, adjusted his seatbelt, got back out to inspect the back seat, got back in, put his seat belt on, adjusted it..........HSS walked up and told him to move, he had 6 cars hemmed in. HE gave the guy a blank look, DPD walked up, I didn't hear all of hat was said, but what I did hear wasn't very nice, and as the guy pulled away, the cop was writing down the plate number.

Usually, I drop, if I have trash I'll run to the trashcan, get back in and go. I'll usually acknowledge the cop as standing there, if they say anything, before they have a chance to complete one word I'm getting in and putting it into gear. My pickup on Friday night, it popped up as door 512, I called the pax to tell him I can't go to level 5, and would he mind going to either level 4 412 or level 6 612. I was just getting on Pena at Jackson Gap when the ping came in, I told him I was three to four minutes out. They were almost toes on the curb when I pulled (I wouldn't have minded if her toes and legs had been anywhere, but that's a different story) up. From the time I hit the arrival/departure split until we were rolling was under 3 minutes.