• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

DIA and Expanded Geofence

Daisey77

Hey guys, as most of you are aware, Uber has relaxed the Geofence at DIA. Personally, I love this little perk. If I get hungry, I can run to get something to eat. If I end up in the queue longer than I expected, I can go grab gas. Hell, the fact we can actually use a real bathroom, is very much appreciated!

However, there's always those few drivers who have to push the limits and these drivers are the ones who are about to ruin it for everyone. Airport Personnel is already fed up . Apparently, drivers feel the need to take their power naps in the cell phone lot. Apparently drivers feel the need to park directly in front of the gas station for extended periods of time. Some of them even choosing to take their naps, while parked in this prime location, that paying customers can no longer utilize.

First of all, security had no idea about this relaxed geofence. So there was no "agreement" reached, as first stated. Of course, it only took them a couple days to figure it out. Secondly, the gas station management obviously is not happy about their Prime spots being taken by drivers, for extended periods of time. Especially when they're being used for naps, and actual paying customers don't have anywhere to park. The police are really not happy about drivers taking up spots for hours upon hours because actual regular civilians, who are there to pick up friends or family, don't have anywhere to park. Which has increased the number of cars parked along the sides of the roads.

As you can see, we have pissed off people on every level at DIA. Not to mention, it is against DIA rules for TNC drivers and commercial drivers to be parked anywhere within the cell phone lot for more than 15 minutes. So not only are these drivers not following Ubers policy, they are in direct violation of DIA rules.

Tonight, the Police started coming through and taking plate numbers. As well as chatting with drivers. They are going to start writing tickets directly to the drivers or take down the plate numbers and send the tickets to Uber and Lyft. Which I'm guessing will then get passed down to the driver, as it should. Just like they do when they close the lot at night. If you haven't noticed, there are now two people in the security vehicle who close the lot. After they lock up the lot, they cruise by the drivers parked along the road. The security person who is driving, is reading off plate numbers to the security person in the passenger seat. These plate numbers are being kept on file with the airport and $100 citations
are being sent to Uber and Lyft. In addition to citations being sent to Uber and Lyft, DIA can and will ban a driver or vehicle from airport grounds all together. It has been done. In fact, someone I know was talking with a driver, one night while out at Red Rocks, who said he is no longer able to work at the airport because of a ticket,he got out there.

I honestly don't think anyone on here is doing this but please help get the word out. It would really suck to lose this perk we've been given.

ItsAConspiracy

SMH. Give an inch and people will take a mile. Sucks that these selfish a-holes have to ALWAYS ruin things for everyone else.

Uber should reverse the expanded geofence and just set a timeout for going outside of it. That way, you can go grab something to eat, or gas then return before you are timed out.

Duber12

Hey guys, as most of you are aware, Uber has relaxed the Geofence at DIA. Personally, I love this little perk. If I get hungry, I can run to get something to eat. If I end up in the queue longer than I expected, I can go grab gas. Hell, the fact we can actually use a real bathroom, is very much appreciated!

However, there's always those few drivers who have to push the limits and these drivers are the ones who are about to ruin it for everyone. Airport Personnel is already fed up . Apparently, drivers feel the need to take their power naps in the cell phone lot. Apparently drivers feel the need to park directly in front of the gas station for extended periods of time. Some of them even choosing to take their naps, while parked in this prime location, that paying customers can no longer utilize.

First of all, security had no idea about this relaxed geofence. So there was no "agreement" reached, as first stated. Of course, it only took them a couple days to figure it out. Secondly, the gas station management obviously is not happy about their Prime spots being taken by drivers, for extended periods of time. Especially when they're being used for naps, and actual paying customers don't have anywhere to park. The police are really not happy about drivers taking up spots for hours upon hours because actual regular civilians, who are there to pick up friends or family, don't have anywhere to park. Which has increased the number of cars parked along the sides of the roads.

As you can see, we have pissed off people on every level at DIA. Not to mention, it is against DIA rules for TNC drivers and commercial drivers to be parked anywhere within the cell phone lot for more than 15 minutes. So not only are these drivers not following Ubers policy, they are in direct violation of DIA rules.

Tonight, the Police started coming through and taking plate numbers. As well as chatting with drivers. They are going to start writing tickets directly to the drivers or take down the plate numbers and send the tickets to Uber and Lyft. Which I'm guessing will then get passed down to the driver, as it should. Just like they do when they close the lot at night. If you haven't noticed, there are now two people in the security vehicle who close the lot. After they lock up the lot, they cruise by the drivers parked along the road. The security person who is driving, is reading off plate numbers to the security person in the passenger seat. These plate numbers are being kept on file with the airport and $100 citations
are being sent to Uber and Lyft. In addition to citations being sent to Uber and Lyft, DIA can and will ban a driver or vehicle from airport grounds all together. It has been done. In fact, someone I know was talking with a driver, one night while out at Red Rocks, who said he is no longer able to work at the airport because of a ticket,he got out there.

I honestly don't think anyone on here is doing this but please help get the word out. It would really suck to lose this perk we've been given.

The answer is to have the TNC lot open 24 hours a day in addition to the new geofencing.

Daisey77

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
SMH. Give an inch and people will take a mile. Sucks that these selfish a-holes have to ALWAYS ruin things for everyone else.

Uber should reverse the expanded geofence and just set a timeout for going outside of it. That way, you can go grab something to eat, or gas then return before you are timed out.
I agree. Originally it was supposed to only be relaxed while the lot was closed. I don't know why they didn't go that route. Maybe it's too difficult to change the perimeters back and forth?

What I really don't get is, why do they even go to the cell phone lot if they're just going to sleep? Why not just go to the lot? I would think they'd want to be awake and enjoy your moment of freedom LOL. Hell save the sleeping for the boring time you're in the pig pen.

Oh and an interesting lil tidbit . . . I was informed that the airport has implemented a dress code for the taxi drivers. They are required to wear button-ups now. Security said since this has been implemented, they seem to also be keeping their cars a lot cleaner. Before, passengers would walk out and not really even think about taking a taxi and now they've noticed more people are willing to take taxis.

The answer is to have the TNC lot open 24 hours a day in addition to the new geofencing.
I do agree we need the lot open 24 hrs. As for the new geofencing, are you saying keep the lot open 24 hours in addition to giving us free roam of airport grounds the entire 24 hrs?

Duber12

I agree. Originally it was supposed to only be relaxed while the lot was closed. I don't know why they didn't go that route. Maybe it's too difficult to change the perimeters back and forth?

What I really don't get is, why do they even go to the cell phone lot if they're just going to sleep? Why not just go to the lot? I would think they'd want to be awake and enjoy your moment of freedom LOL. Hell save the sleeping for the boring time you're in the pig pen.

Oh and an interesting lil tidbit . . . I was informed that the airport has implemented a dress code for the taxi drivers. They are required to wear button-ups now. Security said since this has been implemented, they seem to also be keeping their cars a lot cleaner. Before, passengers would walk out and not really even think about taking a taxi and now they've noticed more people are willing to take taxis.

I do agree we need the lot open 24 hrs. As for the new geofencing, are you saying keep the lot open 24 hours in addition to giving us free roam of airport grounds the entire 24 hrs?
Yes. Lot open 24 hours and the new expanded geofencing so drivers can grab a bite, get gas, etc.

OMG GO!

Glad i had the sense not to keep a spot infront of the gas station store occupied, but i didnt realize i shouldnt hang in the cell phone lot for longer than 15 min. Seems obvious now.

I went to the final approach the other day for the AC. Felt wierd so i bought an overpriced lunch at shclotskys (sp?). No refils by the way at that place. Well at least i didnt add to the problem since i became a paying customer.

I hope they keep it this way and drivers fall in line. Being able to gas up, wash car, eat and have access to clean crappers while in que is epic. Absolutely epic.

Daisey77

Yes. Lot open 24 hours and the new expanded geofencing so drivers can grab a bite, get gas, etc.
well if drivers could behave in a respectful Manner and not act like wild baboons, this could work. However, these wild baboons are what led to the implementation of the lot, in the first place LOL so I'm not quite sure how well that would work. I could see doing the 24-hour lot and geofence , if security and police operated with more of an iron fist. Personally, I think every driver should be allowed a set number of warnings (2?). The following warning gets them banned from airport grounds. Start getting the wayward children out. The airport, along with other places like maybe Red Rocks, should be viewed as a privilege and if you cannot respect the authority or follow the policies/rules, you lose that privilege. I've seen numerous times where our drivers are arguing with security at Coors Field, Red Rocks, the airport . . . I'm not sure when arguing with authority became the new norm but it's not okay. These guys are just doing their job . It's really disgusting to see how they are treated and talked to, by some drivers At Red Rocks, I see the security arguing with the same Vehicles every night. Repeating themselves over and over to every car. For the most part, we know the rules. Just follow them. Don't make their jobs any more difficult than they already are. If you have a problem with a policy handle it appropriately through the proper channels. The biggest issue with the Warning and Banning solution is, Lyft and Uber would have to be on board and enforce/backup the decisions made by the enforcing officer/venue. I'm not sure that would happen.

Glad i had the sense not to keep a spot infront of the gas station store occupied, but i didnt realize i shouldnt hang in the cell phone lot for longer than 15 min. Seems obvious now.

I went to the final approach the other day for the AC. Felt wierd so i bought an overpriced lunch at shclotskys (sp?). No refils by the way at that place. Well at least i didnt add to the problem since i became a paying customer.

I hope they keep it this way and drivers fall in line. Being able to gas up, wash car, eat and have access to clean crappers while in que is epic. Absolutely epic.
See, I think instances such as this are completely fine. they are generally not the problem. This is what we should be able to use this expanded geo-fence perk for.

Daisey77

So you're saying u like the lot better than closest driver?
No, I'm laughing because that will never happen lol they don't even let us have access to our own pig pen during certain hours. Lol there is no way in hell they would let us go back to the old way.

Frontier Guy

No, we do not need the TNC lot open 24 hours, then we go back to the drivers with no home sleeping in their cars at the lot, we had that problem before, we don't need it again.

Daisey77

No, we do not need the TNC lot open 24 hours, then we go back to the drivers with no home sleeping in their cars at the lot, we had that problem before, we don't need it again.
But it is happening. It's just happening at the cell phone lot instead

Frontier Guy

Then hopefully DPD and Airport Ops will address it fast and kick people out, taking plate numbers and writing tickets needs to happen, and at the same time, they need to penalize Uber/Lyft for expanding the geofence.

MercDuke

Is the GEO FENCE STILL RELAXED? AND IF YES, WHY ARE SO MANY IDIOTS IN THE LOT?????!!!!

I haven't been out here all summer and OMG It seems like there is a whole new set of morons out here....

Coyot

Is the GEO FENCE STILL RELAXED? AND IF YES, WHY ARE SO MANY IDIOTS IN THE LOT?????!!!!

I haven't been out here all summer and OMG It seems like there is a whole new set of morons out here....
Are you in the lot right now?? The lyft queue is full it says, but I'm #30 in line for uber. I can't believe how full the lot is, but there were some major flight delays.

MercDuke

Yep, I did a couple runs out of the Airport, and after that big storm it seemed like all the planes landed at once and the lot emptied out, it was SURGING and I went back out there around 1115 and just had to roll through I went in at #1, then got the lucky Purple Unicorn ping, a 1.3X to Boulder, ended up being an 80 dollar trip.

BACK ON TOPIC:rolleyes:, THE EXPANDED GEO-FENCE, is it still expanded or did we lose our privileges?