DF Fail

mahatma57

Today I was in downtown Chicago at 4:50 pm, and I set my DF to Evanston. Surprisingly I didn't get the "DF not available" message. I got a ping for a 62 min trip and accepted. The trip turned out to be to the Holiday Inn in Arlington Heights. Since I was in no hurry to get home, I took the trip (which ended up taking 74 min). Since I was in Arlington Heights, I was going to go to a gas station and stock up on cheap smokes, but I immediately got a ping for a 48 min trip, which took me to the 1700 block of Damen. When I dropped off the rider it was 2 hours and 15 minutes since I had set my DF, I had driven 44 miles, I was no closer to home than when I started, and my DF had expired. I reset my DF and got a couple more trips and finally got home around 8:05. So using the "Destination Filter", it took me 3 hours and 15 min to get from Michigan and Madison to Evanston. I ended up making about $74 in that time (no tips BTW), which made me happy, but the point is that if I had needed to be home by a certain time, I would have been screwed.
So, word to the wise, don't count on using DF to get where you need to go unless you aren't in a hurry to get there, or you are willing to take a hit on your acceptance or cancellation rates.

UberBeemer

Today I was in downtown Chicago at 4:50 pm, and I set my DF to Evanston. Surprisingly I didn't get the "DF not available" message. I got a ping for a 62 min trip and accepted. The trip turned out to be to the Holiday Inn in Arlington Heights. Since I was in no hurry to get home, I took the trip (which ended up taking 74 min). Since I was in Arlington Heights, I was going to go to a gas station and stock up on cheap smokes, but I immediately got a ping for a 48 min trip, which took me to the 1700 block of Damen. When I dropped off the rider it was 2 hours and 15 minutes since I had set my DF, I had driven 44 miles, I was no closer to home than when I started, and my DF had expired. I reset my DF and got a couple more trips and finally got home around 8:05. So using the "Destination Filter", it took me 3 hours and 15 min to get from Michigan and Madison to Evanston. I ended up making about $74 in that time (no tips BTW), which made me happy, but the point is that if I had needed to be home by a certain time, I would have been screwed.
So, word to the wise, don't count on using DF to get where you need to go unless you aren't in a hurry to get there, or you are willing to take a hit on your acceptance or cancellation rates.
Did you ise the arrival time setting? If you don't they treat the DF as a suggrstion, and the radius expands greatly.

The DF seems to work better in outlying areas, too. I used it successfully today, getting two rides on one filter.

Vladko

Want a good laugh?
Had a lunch with my friends in DT. 4 pm. Heading home to Ar Heights. Set fuber df to Barrington. Checked traffic. 45 mins to ord. Ok. I was expecting an ord run which i get in 95% of cases with such df.
Getting a 45+ min ping from a hotel. Pax with luggage. Ok. Ord i thought. Start the trip without looking at the destination even.Guess what....waaaaat...it was....Lemont.
I was laughing hysterically. Had to miss like 20 pings after that to thank fuber for perfect df.

mahatma57

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tried to use DF today at 5:10pm. "Got "DF not available". message. Stayed offline. Drove from 1300 W Huron all the way home to Evanston, trying to set DF every minute or 2. No love. Uber loses, I lose, riders lose. No DF available on a quiet Sunday afternoon with the only visible surge in the loop? Gimme a break!

Sher Singh

In the future, when they have flying cars. Df might take you to outer space.

Tried to use DF today at 5:10pm. "Got "DF not available". message. Stayed offline. Drove from 1300 W Huron all the way home to Evanston, trying to set DF every minute or 2. No love. Uber loses, I lose, riders lose. No DF available on a quiet Sunday afternoon with the only visible surge in the loop? Gimme a break!
Since DF wasn’t available this evening seems to me there should have been surge pricing. But no

mahatma57

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today I set my DF for Evanston at 4:10pm. I was on Blue Island near 18th St. 1st trip took me to Logan Square (so far, so good). Next trip was to Terminal 5 at ORD (Uh oh!). Of course my DF wouldn't work at ORD, so I drove out Balmoral and got a 32 min ping from Fogo de Chao as soon as I exited the geofence. This one left me at Diversey and Cicero, where the DF expired. So over 2 hours later, I was still 15 miles from home. Set my second DF for Evanston, and 2 trips got me to Andersonville. Then I got a ping for a 31 minute trip ("towards your destination"). I accepted it but before I started the trip, I asked the rider where he was headed. He was going to Northfield west of the highway. When I ended the trip, my DF expired and I was still 10 miles away from home. All told it took me over 4 hours to get home using the DF. Took 8 trips, Drove 66 miles, and made $89.
I'm still trying to figure how ORD is "towards your destination" (Evanston) from Logan Square... :wink:

New guy65

Today I set my DF for Evanston at 4:10pm. I was on Blue Island near 18th St. 1st trip took me to Logan Square (so far, so good). Next trip was to Terminal 5 at ORD (Uh oh!). Of course my DF wouldn't work at ORD, so I drove out Balmoral and got a 32 min ping from Fogo de Chao as soon as I exited the geofence. This one left me at Diversey and Cicero, where the DF expired. So over 2 hours later, I was still 15 miles from home. Set my second DF for Evanston, and 2 trips got me to Andersonville. Then I got a ping for a 31 minute trip ("towards your destination"). I accepted it but before I started the trip, I asked the rider where he was headed. He was going to Northfield west of the highway. When I ended the trip, my DF expired and I was still 10 miles away from home. All told it took me over 4 hours to get home using the DF. Took 8 trips, Drove 66 miles, and made $89.
I'm still trying to figure how ORD is "towards your destination" (Evanston) from Logan Square... :wink:
Yesterday I set for the sears tower from Wrigleyville and the first ride was to 3200 w Armitage. Distance wise not at bad as yours but it probably left me further away than when I started

Bman1974

I was in Edgewater and was trying to get back south, so I put midway as destination. I got a ride to Arlington heights. I told rider I’m sorry and didn’t charge him.

Ping.Me.More

I had an UberX ride from ORD to McCormick Place last week.
At McCormick dropoff, I set DF for Rosemont area and accepted a ride
from South Loop area to Near North, then at that dropoff, another ping
that sent me South, right back to McCormick Place again . ([email protected]@@)

Shut off Uber app, turned on Lyft DF, and got out of Dodge.
(I've had Lyft DF do the same type of thing to me occasionally in the past.
Nothing's perfect, I guess.)

Schmanthony

Lemont to ORD is often, maybe usually faster than DT to ORD. I don't see how the DF failed in this case since you didn't set an arrival time.

Ping.Me.More

Lemont to ORD is often, maybe usually faster than DT to ORD. I don't see how the DF failed in this case since you didn't set an arrival time.
I seldom set DF arrival times, but, at least they should offer DF pings that get you a little closer.
(Not send you to a destination in the opposite direction of your original DF request!)

Schmanthony

The way it works is that it gets you closer in terms of Time - not distance or direction. So, if it was 38 minutes from DT to ORD but 37 minutes from Lemont to ORD, then technically the DF (without an arrival time) worked exactly as intended.
Post automatically merged:

If it's really important to you to arrive somewhere close to the route to your destination, then you should first use Google Maps to find out what your ETA would be if you were to drive directly there, add 15 minutes or so to that time, and enter that arrival time into the DF.

Ping.Me.More

The way it works is that it gets you closer in terms of Time - not distance or direction.
That's the way it's supposed to work, but it doesn't always.

I had an UberX ride from ORD to McCormick Place last week.
At McCormick dropoff, I set DF for Rosemont area and accepted a ride
from South Loop area to Near North area, then at that dropoff, another ping
that sent me South, right back down to McCormick Place again . ([email protected]@@)

Near-North from where I was at, was way quicker to continue on to Rosemont DF
from there, (at the time, via the Kennedy Xpway, vs any route from McCormick
to Rosemont). Just sayin'.

Schmanthony

That's the way it's supposed to work, but it doesn't always.
I agree it doesn't always work as intended. I've had it fail on me before. But the case presented by the OP doesn't strike me as a fail based on my understanding of its intended function and typical travel times from DT to ORD and Lemont to ORD.