• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

denver group cleverly gaming the airport out rides - watch for this at your airport

Corny

This is from our local users group, but i have not seen it confirmed in the news. It however reflects business users comments that so many of their out airport rides are with ex cab drivers that I believe it. It appears a confederate is in the terminal with a bag of Uber phones. When one gets a ping he runs it out to a waiting Uber driver in the group. Since they are always the closest, the get the bulk of the rides since the rest of us are hovering outside or driving around. Very clever, but now that we are on to them, shortlived. Until Uber comes up with a queue system, we just await the next scheme ....

CityGirl

We have a First In, First Out queue in the airport zone at San Diego. Interestingly, the airport itself is not in the zone, so you will not get any pings if you are on airport property! I think it seems to work fine. You can't exactly tell who was first because the territory is a few miles large, but when coming to a waiting spot to meet fellow uber drivers, we do tend to get pinged in order .

Report the scam to your local office and ask them to look at the San Diego model.

frndthDuvel

We have a First In, First Out queue in the airport zone at San Diego. Interestingly, the airport itself is not in the zone, so you will not get any pings if you are on airport property! I think it seems to work fine. You can't exactly tell who was first because the territory is a few miles large, but when coming to a waiting spot to meet fellow uber drivers, we do tend to get pinged in order .

Report the scam to your local office and ask them to look at the San Diego model.
Hmm New Member says he hears somewhere that x is happening, among ex cabbies (immigrants). That one dude has a bag of phones and runs them outside. What the cops at DIA
are letting middle eastern ex cabbies park on the curb?

outback

Our Uber airport queue system in Charleston SC is full of problems without any scams. The system fails to call cars in order and drivers get pings from across a river which the drivers shouldn't accept which screw our acceptance rating.

CityGirl

Our FIFO area is tightly defined. They can rule out the area in the other side of the river if they want to.

outback

Our FIFO area is tightly defined. They can rule out the area in the other side of the river if they want to.
Uber wants us to take all pings. We sit the airport for airport runs not the crap across the river. We know Uber can fix it,
But they won't.

CityGirl

Uber wants us to take all pings. We sit the airport for airport runs not the crap across the river. We know Uber can fix it,
But they won't.
I think I misread your original explanation. While in the FIFO, we also get local pings that are closest to us. If we let 2 go unanswered, we are automatically logged off, hence losing our place in the FIFO queue :frown:

outback

I think I misread your original explanation. While in the FIFO, we also get local pings that are closest to us. If we let 2 go unanswered, we are automatically logged off, hence losing our place in the FIFO queue :frown:
That happens to us too. The FIFO system is very imperfect where I am.

KevRyde

This is from our local users group, but i have not seen it confirmed in the news. It however reflects business users comments that so many of their out airport rides are with ex cab drivers that I believe it. It appears a confederate is in the terminal with a bag of Uber phones. When one gets a ping he runs it out to a waiting Uber driver in the group. Since they are always the closest, the get the bulk of the rides since the rest of us are hovering outside or driving around. Very clever, but now that we are on to them, shortlived. Until Uber comes up with a queue system, we just await the next scheme ....
Bag of Uber phones? Really? This is completely far fetched and total nonsense. I saw this same silliness mentioned in another thread as well. Where in the terminal are these so-called confederate ex-cab drivers hanging out, and where exactly are the drivers in this highly organized (albeit imaginary) group parked and waiting for a "runner" to hand off an "Uber phone"? Riders make requests from various levels up and down both terminal sides, while they're still on the plane train or when they're coming up the escalator and walking through the middle of the terminal building. Sometimes I get requests right after I drop off a ride to DIA, and sometimes I have to circle both terminal sides multiple times before I get a request. Other times I park on the top level of the garage adjacent to level 5, head inside to hit the men's room, make notice of which baggage carousels are crowded, and then I hang out on level 4 or 5 near the areas/railings that have an open view to the sky so my gps receiver is locked on to multiple satellites and my location is accurate to within less than 30 feet. Yes there are occasions when I've spent the better part of an hour circling some, then parking and loitering on foot for a few minutes and then circling a few more times before I finally get a pick up, and there have been a few times when after an hour or so I simply give up and head back to Denver empty.

The bottom line is that it's a function of supply and demand combined with how many security personnel and cops are on duty along with their alertness level and overall motivation to shoo away the constant swarm of drivers who throughout the day attempt to remain adjacent to the terminal sides to optimize their chances of getting a request. I added a second line to my mobile account this week so I can monitor both Uber and Lyft for available cars while I'm logged into drive mode on my main phone, and my eyes have definitely been opened to the reality that the Denver market is completely swarming with drivers trying to snag airport rides at DIA and especially downtown where every day this week I've spotted multiple drivers parked both along the streets and in the pay lots adjacent to the hotels that are close to the convention center. That made me realize I'm better off slowly driving my downtown serpentine route and focus on trying to catch red lights at intersections adjacent to the big hotels whenever possible.

As far as Uber and Lyft implementing some sort of virtual FIFO queue, my hunch is that the closest real estate to set up a holding lot for drivers would add an additional 5+ minutes to the average pick up time and cost both companies $$$ that I'm sure neither wants to spend since the current system works perfectly (for them) and is very profitable. The Uber rider app has been broken for months - prompting UberX riders to enter a 6XX doorway on the Terminal West side and a 5XX doorway on the Terminal East side - so I highly doubt any sort of queue system is in the works at Uber.

Last edited: