• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Demographics of Drivers

What is your demographic?

• Total voters

itendstonight

I'm interested in the background of most drivers. Seems it leans toward the immigrant population, especially in the big cities. I myself was born overseas and became a citizen as a teen. Pretty obvious I have foreign background from my name, which people remark about all the time.

SJCorolla

U.S. born but I look like an immigrant. One of the more common and annoying questions I get from pax is "Where are you from?" -- and they don't mean my home town. Some pax also think that I don't speak much English when they first see me, even though it is my only language and I greet them in a neutral/Midwestern accent.

itendstonight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hha
U.S. born but I look like an immigrant. One of the more common and annoying questions I get from pax is "Where are you from?" -- and they don't mean my home town. Some pax also think that I don't speak much English when they first see me, even though it is my only language and I greet them in a neutral/Midwestern accent.
Funny I’m the opposite. I was born overseas in the Mediterranean region. So look Italian/Spaniard/Greek and the Northeast area in America has tons of people with that ethnicity and I blend right in. Plus I speak perfect English so no one has a clue ... until they see my very foreign name and I can see there eyes widen 😳😂

Last edited:

Lissetti

Hufflepuff Honey Badger
Author
Ooh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien...

Post automatically merged:

Do you have the accent, do you calls birds 'boids'?
LOL.....oh you do so wish..to be an alien don't you Reg Barclay.....although I'd fancy myself as a Klingon. :biggrin:

Do you have the accent, do you calls birds 'boids'?
Yes its true.....the letter R eludes me.

Doah = Door
Cah = Car
Quotah = quarter.
Stoah = store
Sugah = sugar
Cawfee = Coffee

I do say Bird correctly. I think its those Jersites who say Joisey and Boid. I think Bahwstn (Boston) pronounces it that way too.

But what about you Englishman? How's that letter A coming along? Also don't bite your tongue with that letter T. :p:biggrin:

reg barclay

But what about you Englishman? How's that letter A coming along? Also don't bite your tongue with that letter T. :p:biggrin:
Yeah, when I fist came here I would pronounce the town in NNJ as Paraamus. I think the letter T in the middle of a word is one of the most obvious accent differences. Not long after I got married I said to my mother in law "I hope I'm taking good care of your daughter" (with correct T pronunciation), she still says it over to me in that way today sometimes. I'll admit that over time I've subconsciously adapted my accent to the place a bit. I'm sure it's the same for you living in different parts of the US. I usually switch back to full English accent when I get pax from England though (just had one this morning). That said, I went back to visit a few years ago and my aunty (not aunt) joked that I was starting to sound American. I think it was because I pronounced Newark as 'Noowark' rather than 'Nyoowark'.

Lissetti

Hufflepuff Honey Badger
Author
Yeah, when I fist came here I would pronounce the town in NNJ as Paraamus. The letter T in the middle of a word is one of the most obvious accent differences. Not long after I got married I said to my mother in law "I hope I'm taking good care of your daughter", she still says it over to me in that way today. I'll admit that over time I've subconsciously adapted my accent to the place a bit though over time. I'm sure it's the same for you living in different parts of the US. I usually switch back to full English accent when I get pax from England though (just had one this morning). That said, I went back to visit a few years ago and my aunty (not aunt) joked that I was starting to sound American. I think it was because I pronounced Newark as 'Noowark' rather than 'Nyoowark'.
Yep.....as I said I grew up in Brooklyn with many English friends.....Oops! I just felt that slap on the back of my head. They are Cockney. I must specify that they are Cockney. Bells....Bells.....:biggrin:

Yeah what would really throw off my family is when my NY accent started changing. Because of the similarities of English to the east coast speak, I began picking up some of my Cockney friends pronunciations and they mine. We always met in the middle with the letter T though. Yes I did actually bite my tongue trying to turn the letter T in the middle of a word into actual T and not D.

Madda = matter.

EeeeyYo.....Tony it doznt madda!

Likewise my Cockney friends were being reprimanded by their parents for picking up my enunciations.

"Oh what's this rubbish you 'ave coming out your mouth? You sound like a bloody Yank!"

Also yes when I hear another New Yorker I can't speak Seattle-ese for days and often don't care unless I really need to be understood like in a Starbucks or a restaurant.

Z129

LOL.....oh you do so wish..to be an alien don't you Reg Barclay.....although I'd fancy myself as a Klingon. :biggrin:

Yes its true.....the letter R eludes me.

Doah = Door
Cah = Car
Quotah = quarter.
Stoah = store
Sugah = sugar
Cawfee = Coffee

I do say Bird correctly. I think its those Jersites who say Joisey and Boid. I think Bahwstn (Boston) pronounces it that way too.

My wife was Brooklyn-born and raised on Long Island. She has absolutely no accent at all. However, I can barely understand her brother as his accent is really pronounced.

Lissetti

Hufflepuff Honey Badger
Author
My wife was Brooklyn-born and raised on Long Island. She has absolutely no accent at all. However, I can barely understand her brother as his accent is really pronounced.
In Brooklyn they say I have no accent. In Seattle they constantly say, "Where are you from? " or " What did you say?"

The worst part is I listened to my voice a friend recorded the other day on a video......

Da Horror! I sound like a girl from Brooklyn all right....a girl between the ages of 12 and 16!!

When did my voice get that high pitched? No wonder I'm always getting carded for buying spray paint and paint marker pens!

Plus I suppose the hoodie doesn't help....:rolleyes:

25rides7daysaweek

This is the USA, just about all of us were immigrants at one time...