Uber Drivers Forum banner

Demerit points for parking offences in NSW

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  UberTopGun 
#1 · (Edited)
(https://www.afr.com/news/nsw-drivers-face-demerit-point-losses-for-bad-parking-20181128-h18hwa)

Australian Financial Review:

Extract:

• Nov 29 2018 at 3:14 PM
  • Updated Nov 29 2018 at 4:54 PM
NSW drivers face demerit point losses for bad parking

The NSW government has empowered parking officers statewide to up the punishment stakes for certain parking offences, allowing them to target a maximum of two demerit points for particularly bad parks on top of the usual fine.

Drivers will be stung with a $337 fine plus two points off their licence for leaving a stationary vehicle on or near a children's crossing, pedestrian crossing, marked foot crossing or bicycle crossing.

Drivers will cop the same fine and demerit point loss for parking in an intersection, within 10 metres of an intersection without traffic lights, or within 20 metres of an intersection with traffic lights.

Parking in a disabled spot will set drivers back one demerit point, along with a substantial $561 fine, and leaving a car on or near a level crossing will cost drivers one demerit point and a $337 fine.

Demerit points will not be issued for exceeding parking times and double demerits will not apply.

Inspectors were allowed to dock demerit points in recent months at their discretion, but no longer have a choice.

Drivers on a NSW unrestricted licence are permitted up to 13 demerit points within a three-year period before losing their licence

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I don't agree with it, but really who leaves car unattended near a crossing anyway ?
Parking can include cases where you remain in the car.

Australian Road Rules:

"park" , in Part 12 and for a driver, includes stop and allow the driver's vehicle to stay (whether or not the driver leaves the vehicle).

(http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rr2014104/sch99.html)

Parking within 10 metres of some intersections without traffic lights could catch some out.

#10 ·
I agree with these 3.
Gives me the shites when people park in a disabled spot when they are not entitled to.
Also parking close to the intersections and pedestrian crossings.

They should also book drivers who stop at roundabouts to let people to cross where there is no crossing.
So far have seen at least 6 prangs from this behavior and of course it is not the knob's fault who stopped at the roundabout when there was no other cars using the roundabout.
In all the prangs I have seen, the people were waiting for the cars to go through the roundabout, yet the knob of a driver stopped like it was a crossing not a roundabout.

#12 ·
Reading this thread stopped me parking near pedestrian crossing yesterday.

No point taking risk especially if demerit points involved.

I have only got demerit points once in my 20 year driving history in Australia.

I was 10k over speed limit on downhill in Melbourne and wrote letter in pleading some leniency due to 01st offence but sadly I had to cop it.

#19 ·
Uber needs to offer a new service called:
Uber *d*

and if pax book the: D service
you will get a
DODGY uber driver that will
DO anything for you, whether he's a
Dhead or
DOPEY and is ready to stop on a
DIME for you anywhere & everywhere, and is Not
DETERRED by Double Demerits & will
DEFINITELY pick you up &
DROP you wherever you want. The pax will never
DESPAIR because there will always be a
DESPERATE uber-D ready to take any pax
DEVOID of a brain, & take any
DRUNK DROP-KICK pax Down the road.
DON'T worry because there will always be an uber-D to take the
DISRESPECTFUL pax that treat you like
DIRT but do Not get
DEVASTATED when some of these uber-D
DRIVERS DISSAPEAR with the high probability
DUE to DANGEROUS Driving, the authorities may
DEPORT them as a final DECISION.
DON'T feel Down, coz there is plenty more
uber-D to fill the breach, and they'll
DAZZLE you with their
DISASTROUS Driving. & Hey guess what -
DON'T DO a DOUBLE-TAKE, coz
Uber-D is already here & real - it's here now with these uber Drivers that
DOMINATE the fleet.
DO the right thing & DRIVE with care &
DILIGENCE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.