Uber Drivers Forum banner
7K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Ride-Share-Risk-Manager 
#1 · (Edited)
Many other drivers have succeeded Opting-Out of uberPOOL, PERMENENTLY! Why?

They were tired of getting logged out or temporarily blocked from new rider-requests after failing to accept too many. Others were tired of using the "Stop requests" trick after each uberPOOL pickup. They didn't have multiple, unrelated riders, like UberX, but they still got paid lower uberPOOL rates. Anecdotally, uberPOOL tips significantly less than X (not that X is very frequent either).

UberPOOL pays at least 25% up to 65% below X <https://www.uber.com/info/uberpool-nj/>. Even worse, uberPOOL is inherently more dangerous for both drivers and riders. Unrelated riders may argue with each other. You do not want to referee or risk being drawn into their argument.

Is Uber making a greater profit on uberPOOL compared to X at New Jersey drivers' expense? Is your increased risk worth the small payment, compared to X? UberPOOL is in many New Jersey locations: http://www.idrivewithuber.com/uberpool-new-jersey/

Opting-Out of uberPOOL
Worked for many drivers in Atlanta. Below are selected example texts. If you want to verify first:
https://uberpeople.net/threads/opt-out-uber-pool.112556/
==========
I have another account question
==========
1st attempt

I keep receiving pool requests. I would no longer like to receive pool requests as it is unsafe and refusing those requests is affecting my income and acceptance rate. please take me off pool requests. thank you.

Uber's Canned Response

<standard opening BS>...There is not currently an option for partners to opt out of specific vehicle options like UberPool or UberX...<standard closing BS>

2nd attempt

I am sorry but that is not true. many drivers have gotten themselves taken off uber pool in <your city>. I want to be taken off as it is not safe for me, my passengers or my rating and acceptance rate.

Success!

<standard opening BS>...I've reconfigured your <vehicle description> to opt out of the uberPOOL. platform. You should no longer receive uberPOOL requests using this vehicle option moving forward. Kindly refresh the partner app on your device...<standard closing BS>

==========
My Pool is Closed! 4 tries.

1st attempt

This is a request to be removed from UberPool. Please remove UberPool from my profile completely. As an independent contractor I will not accept UberPool requests. It is also to note that UberPool is a serious hazard for both drivers AND passengers.

As a driver, being redirected in route is very distracting, and that alone is enough reason to not pickup pool rides. It is also really an issue that drivers can only choose if they are picking up 1 person or 2 people. I can not count how many time I have picked up 2 people at the first stop and 3 more were waiting at the second pickup. Then, drivers have to rate the first drop off while the 2nd is still in the vehicle, while they can easily see what you rate that first passenger. As a driver I have been forced into many uncomfortable situations having to mediate between passengers, this is absolutely unacceptable. My ratings have taken many hits from passengers being upset by dealing with another passenger, absolutely not acceptable. Finally, my acceptance rate takes a serious hit if I don't pickup Pool rides, and if I pickup a pool ride and then choose go offline I take a MAJOR acceptance rate hitting because the app doesn't send the new requests to me at all yet still ignores them.

Passenger hazards are as follows. On several occasions I have picked up a female passenger followed by intoxicated males. Multiple times the female was sexually harassed by these passengers. This is incredibly serious and absolutely not a joke. In one case the men were getting dropped off second and the female was so scared she had me stop at a public gas station to avoid letting the men know where she lived! On another occasion a Bartender had me do the same thing as he felt unsafe with the other passengers knowing where he lived due to carrying cash on him.

These are but a few of MANY reasons I wish to have UberPool removed from my account. As an independent contractor I will have no part of UberPool now or in the future as it is absolutely an unsafe, unprofitable venture.

Thank you for your time.

Similar Uber responses and 2nd to 4th attempt not copied, but resulted in Success! :D
==========
The moral is DO NOT GIVE UP, KEEP TRYING. Expect minor variations in different cities.

Please reply with your success stories. :)

Finally, similar requests have been successful in Opting-out of UberX and UberXL for those with higher classifications of vehicle (like uberBLACK, uberSUV). For examples, go to https://uberpeople.net/threads/opt-out-uber-pool.112556/

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is my response from guber:

We're sorry to hear that you no longer want to receive uberPOOL requests, Brian. Let me assist you on this.

Upon checking the details for Uber in New Jersey, it looks like all partners who receive uberX trips are currently required to receive uberPOOL requests as well. As much as we want to grant your request, we're afraid that we can't do it due to our system limitation and Uber Policy.

uberPOOL is still in its early stages, and we're constantly working to improve the experience for both rider and driver. We appreciate your patience as we work toward the best possible product. Please feel free to let us know what would make the experience better for both riders and drivers. We are always working to improve the app.

If you have other questions or concerns, please feel free to send us a separate note. You may also check help.uber.com for frequently asked questions.

#3 · (Edited)

We're sorry to hear that you no longer want to receive uberPOOL requests, Brian. Let me assist you on this.

Upon checking the details for Uber in New Jersey, it looks like all partners who receive uberX trips are currently required to receive uberPOOL requests as well. As much as we want to grant your request, we're afraid that we can't do it due to our system limitation and Uber Policy.

uberPOOL is still in its early stages, and we're constantly working to improve the experience for both rider and driver. We appreciate your patience as we work toward the best possible product. Please feel free to let us know what would make the experience better for both riders and drivers. We are always working to improve the app. RideShareGuy

If you have other questions or concerns, please feel free to send us a separate note. You may also check help.uber.com for frequently asked questions.
Entirely expected. What drivers learned in Atlanta is not to give up, keep trying. 4, 5, 6, or more times may be required, if you want to get to success. I suggest that you reply back to Uber in the same thread. Look at the Atlanta thread for ideas that worked for them.

Choose the wording that is most comfortable for you! I would insist that this has been already done for other Uber drivers (don't say where) and that you feel unsafe and the passengers are unsafe. You will not take uberPOOL calls going forward (if true, they can check) and do not want to be logged out for refusing multiple requests. Be polite, but insistent that you be removed from uberPOOL.

#4 · (Edited)
Be careful what you wish for. Some of my best and longest surge rides, a few north of $100, have been POOL. I just always hit "Stop New Requests" and the driver gets the same as UberX rates. It's only the rider that pays less...Uber makes up the difference. While I know getting a matched POOL sucks, I haven't gotten one in a long time due to stop new request trick.

However, had I opted out of POOL like OP wants, I would have never gotten those few high-profit POOL surge rides. For me anyway...They no longer put me in time out for missed pings...That stopped late last year, even though my acceptance rate is still consistently hovering around 30%, unless I'm working the Shore.

If working .87 land, just let non-surge or low-surge POOLs ping out. Done it hundreds of times with no repercussions.

Also, anyone tried this request at Greenlight Hub...Are they more flexible than outsourced support?

#6 ·
Be careful what you wish for. Some of my best and longest surge rides, a few north of $100, have been POOL. I just always hit "Stop New Requests" and the driver gets the same as UberX rates. It's only the rider that pays less...Uber makes up the difference. While I know getting a matched POOL sucks, I haven't gotten one in a long time due to stop new request trick.
Yup. I once agreed to pick up a 1.9 surge Pool pax from Parsippany. After ignoring any further requests I dropped her off in Highland Park & was shocked to see I netted almost $50 on that ride. :D

#5 ·
Response from guber #2:

There is not currently an option for partners to opt out of specific vehicle options like uberPOOL or uberX, but we're happy to help with any issues on specific trips that you may have had. If you have questions about the uberPOOL experience, you may want to take a look at this page, which will give you uberPOOL tips and suggestions from top partners around the world.

Accepting and completing all trip requests - both uberX and uberPOOL - is critical to ensuring a positive experience for riders who are relying on Uber to get to their destinations. uberPOOL is one of our fastest growing and most popular products among riders, so accepting your uberX and uberPOOL trips should keep you busier every time you drive.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we're happy to address any specific questions or issues you have.

#13 ·
I also do the stop new requests and I tell the rider I do so they get an unmatched ride. Now I need to work on my rap I am working to make it better so you should tip me. I have also gotten big fares.
People who order UberPOOL are cheap. I RARELY get a tip out of an UberPOOL ride. Cheap Cheap Cheap!

Why do you tell them?
Some may think that if you're looking out for the pax, the pax may look out for them (tip). Hardly works like that with cheap pax.

#11 ·

uberPOOL is still in its early stages, and we're constantly working to improve the experience for both rider and driver. We appreciate your patience as we work toward the best possible product. Please feel free to let us know what would make the experience better for both riders and drivers. We are always working to improve the app.

Entirely expected. What drivers learned in Atlanta is not to give up, keep trying. 4, 5, 6, or more times may be required, if you want to get to success. I suggest that you reply back to Uber in the same thread. Look at the Atlanta thread for ideas that worked for them.

Choose the wording that is most comfortable for you! I would insist that this has been already done for other Uber drivers (don't say where) and that you feel unsafe and the passengers are unsafe. You will not take uberPOOL calls going forward (if true, they can check) and do not want to be logged out for refusing multiple requests. Be polite, but insistent that you be removed from uberPOOL.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Hoorah! SUCCESS in Jersey!!! :D :D :D
Congratulations on a job well done. Now reap the rewards of your accomplishment. :)

If kodkod87/Zachary, eclipse3256/Brian, and other NJ drivers can do it then you can too!
Keep trying! Do not take no for an answer. You too can vanquish uberPOOL!

#21 ·
One of my best rides was a Pool ride from Avalon to Atlantic City on 2.5x shore surge. Wouldn't have gotten it if I ignored Pool. Of course I stopped new rides.
If you feel that the benefits of UberPOOL outweigh the drawbacks then obviously it's best to stick with it. However, that is not the case for many drivers who have done the math. They are losing money, dealing with additional risk and stress, on average, compared to X/XL only. It would be best if Uber gave drivers the ability to dynamically opt-in or opt-out of UberPOOL several times a day (like setting a Destination), but that is not going to happen. :(

#23 ·
Some of my best and longest surge rides, a few north of $100, have been POOL. I just always hit "Stop New Requests" and the driver gets the same as UberX rates
Only reason why I will not, especailly in the shore corridor. A lot of times, it's someone new who does not realize pool is the default setting in the passenger app. I'll take a pool ride to EWR every day.

#24 ·
If you feel that the benefits of UberPOOL outweigh the drawbacks then obviously it's best to stick with it. However, that is not the case for many drivers who have done the math. They are losing money, dealing with additional risk and stress, on average, compared to X/XL only. It would be best if Uber gave drivers the ability to dynamically opt-in or opt-out of UberPOOL several times a day (like setting a Destination), but that is not going to happen. :(
Maven were u able to get out of uber pool? They won't let me out for nothing. Keep telling me how theyre going to improve it. Sux

Took me less than 24 hours and three consistent emails
I cant get out. Over 10 emails. Says no an option. Will improve. Best choices on uber. Yea for the scum of the earth. Not in my car. I had a moron come our with his wife, two toddlers and an infant. I was like cant do it. No car seat. He says ok cancel. I lost cancellation fee. Uber wanted me to break the law with no car seat and violate terms of pool. My car only has 4 seatbelts after mine. Uber fought me thru 20 texts. Customer wins. No more pool. Car seats cost money. They wanna be cheap. Rider gets screwed. 10 minute drive to the PARTY OF 5!

#25 ·
Maven were u able to get out of uber pool? They won't let me out for nothing. Keep telling me how theyre going to improve it. Sux
You many not know that in my location, Connecticut, uberPOOL has never been an option (thank the benevolent spirits). I started this thread because I correspond with several drivers who successfully pulled out of uberPOOL. I occasionally drive in NJ (after Connecticut to Newark Airport runs) and wanted to help my nearby friends in New Jersey do the same thing as had already been done elsewhere is the USA, like Atlanta.
I cant get out. Over 10 emails. Says no an option. Will improve. Best choices on uber.
A few lucky people have gotten removed from uberPOOL after only 1-2 tries. Most seem to take 3-6 tries. A few unlucky souls, like yourself, over 10 tries. I can only offer encouragement.

It has been successfully done by other NJ drivers attested to in this thread. Don't give up! Try to compare the emails that you have been using unsuccessfully to emails that others have used successfully. Hopefully, adopting their ideas will work for you too. Good luck!
Yea for the scum of the earth. Not in my car. I had a moron come our with his wife, two toddlers and an infant. I was like cant do it. No car seat. He says ok cancel. I lost cancellation fee. Uber wanted me to break the law with no car seat and violate terms of pool. My car only has 4 seatbelts after mine. Uber fought me thru 20 texts. Customer wins. No more pool. Car seats cost money. They wanna be cheap. Rider gets screwed. 10 minute drive to the PARTY OF 5!
Seems like you have more then enough incentive to keep trying until you succeed. :)

#36 ·
Different areas have different methods. In NJ if you have more than 1 pickup on pool then you get paid for total time and distance from first pickup to last dropoff, you don't get paid for the longest of the rides, you get paid for the total, which means if you go outside the regular route to pickup second pickup then you are getting paid for those extra miles as well. Agreed that Uber charges 2 completely separate charges, that is between Uber and the passenger. Driver only gets paid time and distance as per our agreement.

Drivers cannot lose money on pool pickups, Uber just gains more.
Driver only gets the first base rate. After that first base rate it is strictly mileage and time. Meanwhile, we're doing much more work, dealing with taxes who, although they agreed to pool terms, really don't want to live with them, and they only option they have is to take their frustration out on our ratings.

I have adopted a practice of stopping future rides on every single request I accept. I will not take any more pool rides unless they meet a list of criteria that I have. It must be at least a 2.0 surge, the Pax's rating must be a minimum of 4.75, the distance that I need to travel to reach the pickup location must be no more than 5 minutes away.

Surprisingly, there are very few pool rides I end up accepting. ;)

#38 ·
I only accept Uber Pool if I have set my destination filter in Uber to go home and they are on my way. The only other time I will accept them is with a surge of 1.5 or higher. My general rule is to avoid them at all costs. It is not an acceptable level of compensation for my time and overhead as a driver.

I do get a disproportionate number of Lyft lines which are not as bad as Uber Pool customers. If you are outside of Newark and Jersey City you don't seem to get additional Lyft line passengers in the car even at rush hour. As a result, you are typically getting most of the standard Lyft fare. However, I do see some tipping from Lyft line customers, especially Hispanic ladies who work tough manual jobs. It seems like the less English they speak and the tougher their gig the more they are inclined to tip in cash. Its just a few dollars per woman but it at least pays for coffee and a sandwich and they are generally great passengers.

I see black women from Newark, Patterson and Jersey City using Uber Pool a lot. They are cheap as hell, always try and get extra stops included and don't show up on time. They also try and load multiple kids and bags of shopping into the car and profess that they don't understand how Uber pool works. Forget about getting a tip out of one of these black women. After doing thousands of rides I got my first tip from a black woman two weeks ago. But she was a British balck woman so that does not count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.