Delivery Location

Kings-Full

I’m just saying “ethics” are not something that’s part of the equasion here. Fairness is.

“Ethics” is a big, powerful word. To me, anyway.

I think we have common ground on everything but the above quote.

How is it not unethical to deny the driver, an independent contractor by Ubers own words, the requisite information to make an informed decision? Fairness doesn't enter into that equation, that's ethics plain and simple.

Ms. Mercenary

I think we have common ground on everything but the above quote.

How is it not unethical to deny the driver, an independent contractor by Ubers own words, the requisite information to make an informed decision? Fairness doesn't enter into that equation, that's ethics plain and simple.
Because it is arguable which information is necessary to make an informed decision. If I were not reading you guys (as always, very gratefully), seeing $5 for 6 miles would totally work for me. Technically speaking, everything else is extra.

I guess I just don’t see that as ethics. My previous job was heavy on ethics (which were very annoyingly complicated), so this just puzzles me.

I suppose it could be likened to bait and switch, which is unethical. But it’s a long shot.

Frankly, at this point I’d rather just shut up and say I was wrong. This mouth of mine has a mind of its own. Grey hair, no wisdom. 😂

Kings-Full

Because it is arguable which information is necessary to make an informed decision.

No, it's not. That's a fallacy, a straw man argument. The information necessary to make an informed decision is empirically definable.

1. What is the total payout.
2. What is the total distance driven required to complete the task
3. How long will it take to complete the task.

Simple as....

If I were not reading you guys (as always, very gratefully), seeing $5 for 6 miles would totally work for me. Technically speaking, everything else is extra.

Congratulations. Those numbers don't work for me or numerous others.

I guess I just don’t see that as ethics. My previous job was heavy on ethics (which were very annoyingly complicated), so this just puzzles me.

And that puzzles me.

I suppose it could be likened to bait and switch, which is unethical. But it’s a long shot.

It's only a long shot by your definition of ethics. Which is clearly different from mine.

Frankly, at this point I’d rather just shut up and say I was wrong. This mouth of mine has a mind of its own. Grey hair, no wisdom. 😂

:biggrin:

Ms. Mercenary

No, it's not. That's a fallacy, a straw man argument. The information necessary to make an informed decision is empirically definable.

1. What is the total payout.
2. What is the total distance driven required to complete the task
3. How long will it take to complete the task.

Simple as....

Congratulations. Those numbers don't work for me or numerous others.

And that puzzles me.

It's only a long shot by your definition of ethics. Which is clearly different from mine.

:biggrin:
(But I’m still right!)

SEE?!? There it goes again! 😂

Ms. Mercenary

Can't defend your position?

Pretty sure that makes you wrong from the get go.

SEE?!? There I go again. :biggrin:
I can, but it’ll likely just get me into more trouble. And how will I then learn that $5 for 6 miles is a crappy deal?!?

Trust me, I’m still arguing with you. You just can’t hear me. 😜

Doowop

I don’t see it as a driver issue.

I’m merely saying that ethics are not part of the equasion in the game. Everyone’s looking out for Number One. As they should.

And drivers don’t only cancel because of the location. They cancel if the food isn’t ready. Or if there’s a line. Lots of reasons. Not exactly putting ethics in the forefront, either. Just sayin’.
Now you're changing the game again initial statement said that they canceled after accepting the food now you're saying they canceled it before they accepted
I don’t see it as a driver issue.

I’m merely saying that ethics are not part of the equasion in the game. Everyone’s looking out for Number One. As they should.

And drivers don’t only cancel because of the location. They cancel if the food isn’t ready. Or if there’s a line. Lots of reasons. Not exactly putting ethics in the forefront, eit
Or.... You can think of it from the POV of a hungry driver that just realized he was going to make less than the cost of gas to complete the trip.

See how that works?
Blame the Driver First

TeleSki

Because it is arguable which information is necessary to make an informed decision. If I were not reading you guys (as always, very gratefully), seeing $5 for 6 miles would totally work for me. Technically speaking, everything else is extra.

You're ok with $5 for 6 miles? Using standard tax deduction of $0.58/mi, that's $3.48 in expenses, so you net $1.52 for 15-20 minutes work, including walking in to the restaurant and delivering to the door? Most drivers aren't happy with that, but the ones that are is the reason rates stay so low.

Driving With A Purpose

• Not showing destination
  • Not showing stacked / double orders
  • Penalizing drivers who cancel orders
  • Making up massive financial losses on the backs of drivers
There are many other examples but it's early and I'm doing this off the top of my head.

Do you think Uber is ethical?

I am trying to reserve judgment until I get to know them better.

Ms. Mercenary

You're ok with $5 for 6 miles?
That wasn’t what I said. What I actually said was had I not been reading you guys and had you guys not been so generous with advice, as a noob I’d be totally happy with $5 for 6 miles. My overall point was many noobs are not as anal-retentive brilliant as I and dive right in without doing their homework, and THEY wouldn’t know any better. And to them, that info is enough to make an informed (on their level) decision. Hence my confusion on the “unethical” term.

I already told @Kings-Full I was wrong. It doesn’t matter that I had my fingers crossed behind my back whilst doing so, and that I’m still arguing with him, even though he’s unaware. Shhhhhhh! 😜