Declined rides rating

34-Methoxyzacko

Gryft used to add a note ONLY CAR IN THE AREA. I once got one of those after I declined a difficult to cover job when I was at the intersection of Constitution and Pennsylvania Avenues. The job came back to me, with that notation. For those of you not familiar with the Capital of Your Nation, that is about three blocks from the U.S. Capitol. NEVER will anyone convince me that there was not another Lyft car anywhere near that intersection.
Indeed I’ve had that same notification— “You are the only nearby driver!” 🤦🏻‍♂️
Guess what? That’s your pax’s problem, NOT mine! Cut out the psy-ops, manipulative nonsense! I’m not going to make it MY problem by ensuring I end up stuck, or worse— it was snowing at a 2-3” per-hour rate at that time, and I knew from the incoming request there was no way I’d be able to safely make that pickup UNLESS the road was plowed; the storm had come in only a few hrs prior, so no trucks were anywhere but the freeways. No way was I gonna fetch that in my Hyundai Sonata; It was a 700ft elevation change from where I was just a few miles away (foothills west of Denver).
That day was the first time I was put in “time-out” by Lyft (also manipulative BS). I used that time to switch vehicles, then catch the $$$ trips of rush hour; this was before they yanked the PrimeTime model.

Ubers sends me a ride -- over 45 minutes trip or a 30 minute premium pickup-- I decline. They keep sending me the same ride over and over again so I have to decline over and over again an this has destroyd my acceptance ratiing. Recourse? Calling Uber customer service is no help.
A trick I have learned for this is to turn off your mobile data, I have mine set to my drop down on android, Instead of declining a bad trip I just turn off data and it does not count towards your decline numbers, I only do this when the trip is 30+min heading west in my market because that time and distance is usually towards the city, and with this current climate of violence and sickness its sometimes better to avoid more crowded areas. But anyways I wait a few minutes and then turn back on data and this usually works for me.

justaGoober

Ubers sends me a ride -- over 45 minutes trip or a 30 minute premium pickup-- I decline. They keep sending me the same ride over and over again so I have to decline over and over again an this has destroyd my acceptance ratiing. Recourse? Calling Uber customer service is no help.
I've had similar experiences.....My AR has plummeted since COVID......I used to care about it because I do like seeing trip info.....But I really don't care much anymore about AR - It's all about dead miles on long pickups....

SkyHighTy

You have to anticipate when other drivers will also turn down the ride. Turn the app off for a few minutes. The customer is experiencing urgency. You’re not. 2 to 3 minutes with the app off, move towards a favorable direction and turn the app back on.

Trafficat

Indeed I’ve had that same notification— “You are the only nearby driver!” 🤦🏻‍♂️
Guess what? That’s your pax’s problem, NOT mine! Cut out the psy-ops, manipulative nonsense! I’m not going to make it MY problem
The customer is experiencing urgency. You’re not. 2 to 3 minutes with the app off, move towards a favorable direction and turn the app back on.
Exactly. If the companies want us to take a far away rider that is stranded, they should add some sort of incentive. Uber does that well in my market with the Long Pickup Fee, and in the past, both companies could create an incentive with Surge.

It is nuts that Lyft thinks I will waste my time driving 25 minutes to get a passenger for a $3 ride (best guess since trip details are hidden), probably with a 28 minute deadhead drive back. I've actually even had requests over 40 minutes away with Lyft in the past.

I don't feel bad about leaving the customer stranded because when I'm driving it isn't a charity service.

Alantc

What I hate is everyone is still trying to put 5 people in my car during this virus and telling them I can only take 3 since they have 5 and wondering later if there gonna rate me low because I wouldn't take 5. I quit taking 5 anyway long time ago and I'm sure I got rated low because I wouldn't take 5

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
What I hate is everyone is still trying to put 5 people in my car during this virus and telling them I can only take 3 since they have 5 and wondering later if there gonna rate me low because I wouldn't take 5. I quit taking 5 anyway long time ago and I'm sure I got rated low because I wouldn't take 5
They can't rate you if you cancel the trip on the spot.

34-Methoxyzacko

Rule of thumb:
Arrive to find a group of [more than 3] pax?
Cancel. Cut your losses right then and there. Done.
If driving Uber, you HAVE an option to cancel for THIS reason and WILL receive a fee; said cancellation effectively reports that pax for what just transpired, and they’ll receive a message.
If driving Lyft, you can either 1.) Waste everyone’s time while risking a pax who will almost certainly claim you aren’t wearing a mask, only to MAYBE receive their laughable $2 fee. -OR-
2.) Again, simply CANCEL and cut your losses right then and there.
Many nuances in the above stated are just a few of the reasons Lyft is merely an “additional means-to-an-end” for me currently. The platform is rife with friction, IMHO. Painful friction— from the app UX to the general clientele.