Deceiving: when my 5.0 Lyft rating is not really a 5.0

BostonTaxiDriver

(Long and rambling passage ahead...)

Any other Lyft drivers notice a conflict regarding your Lyft rating in the app? We actually have two ratings, which I recently realized only after tapping through the app out of curiosity.

When tapping your photo, you'll initially see a rating -- I believe it's what the pax see. It's always rounded: 5.0, 4.9, 4.8, etc.

But when your tap your photo, then hit "dashboard," you'll find your exact rating. 4.95 is my rating, down from 4.99 and 4.98 at times the past two weeks. I don't check every day, but often. Yes, in between checks, it could have dropped to 4.75 or even 4.82 briefly...who knows?

It seems the rating the pax sees is rounded up: if our dashboard shows 4.85-4.89 internally, it rounds up to a 4.90. If 4.91-4.94 it rounds down to 4.90.

Meanwhile, 4.95-4.99 internally rounds up to a 5.0 for the pax to see. It'll show 5.0 when we tap our photo even though when tapping our "dashboard" could reveal an official internal rating of 4.95-4.99.

Yes, I realize it's much easier since last year to get higher ratings for both Uber and Lyft, as I understand Uber is reportedly now more willing to drop silly pax complaints, such as traffic being out of our control. And hasn't Lyft dropped our lowest rating of the past 100 ratings for the past year or so?

My recent ratings are unusually high based on my history. But I realize they can fall to 4.80 or lower very quickly and easily. Two years ago upon starting Lyft, I was around 4.95 to 4.99 briefly. But I did drop at one point to 4.55-4.60 or so, briefly, I think, and was warned. And I was at 4.62 in November, after having given very few Lyft rides in the previous months while using Uber, when I started Lyft exclusively with this rental car; it rose quickly the first day, and thankfully has never dropped to that putrid level. I'd get anxious, frustrated and/or confused in some of those three-pickup Shareds, so pax likely dinged me. Some were at night, in the rain, and I get anxious in these conditions with some of the confusing pickups. I'm a veteran cab driver, confident driving one request at a time, not these silly and pesky Pools.

Yes, I also realize many drivers say they couldn't care less about their ratings as long as they stay above 4.70 or so. But I still care...

And Lyft has always stated the average is 4.80. But that must have changed a bit upwards since they've dropped the lowest rating of the past 100 just last year..

I peaked at 4.99 this month due to almost exclusively denying Shared rides, but took a few recently, and yep -- now I've dropped to 4.95 internally, 5.0 visible to the pax. As many drivers have claimed, there may be some truth to just avoid those silly Shareds and pesky Pools in order to avoid bad ratings!

Thanks for reading...

Arb Watson

(Long and rambling passage ahead...)

Any other Lyft drivers notice a conflict regarding your Lyft rating in the app? We actually have two ratings, which I recently realized only after tapping through the app out of curiosity.

When tapping your photo, you'll initially see a rating -- I believe it's what the pax see. It's always rounded: 5.0, 4.9, 4.8, etc.

But when your tap your photo, then hit "dashboard," you'll find your exact rating. 4.95 is my rating, down from 4.99 and 4.98 at times the past two weeks. I don't check every day, but often. Yes, in between checks, it could have dropped to 4.75 or even 4.82 briefly...who knows?

It seems the rating the pax sees is rounded up: if our dashboard shows 4.85-4.89 internally, it rounds up to a 4.90. If 4.91-4.94 it rounds down to 4.90.

Meanwhile, 4.95-4.99 internally rounds up to a 5.0 for the pax to see. It'll show 5.0 when we tap our photo even though when tapping our "dashboard" could reveal an official internal rating of 4.95-4.99.

Yes, I realize it's much easier since last year to get higher ratings for both Uber and Lyft, as I understand Uber is reportedly now more willing to drop silly pax complaints, such as traffic being out of our control. And hasn't Lyft dropped our lowest rating of the past 100 ratings for the past year or so?

My recent ratings are unusually high based on my history. But I realize they can fall to 4.80 or lower very quickly and easily. Two years ago upon starting Lyft, I was around 4.95 to 4.99 briefly. But I did drop at one point to 4.55-4.60 or so, briefly, I think, and was warned. And I was at 4.62 in November, after having given very few Lyft rides in the previous months while using Uber, when I started Lyft exclusively with this rental car; it rose quickly the first day, and thankfully has never dropped to that putrid level. I'd get anxious, frustrated and/or confused in some of those three-pickup Shareds, so pax likely dinged me. Some were at night, in the rain, and I get anxious in these conditions with some of the confusing pickups. I'm a veteran cab driver, confident driving one request at a time, not these silly and pesky Pools.

Yes, I also realize many drivers say they couldn't care less about their ratings as long as they stay above 4.70 or so. But I still care...

And Lyft has always stated the average is 4.80. But that must have changed a bit upwards since they've dropped the lowest rating of the past 100 just last year..

I peaked at 4.99 this month due to almost exclusively denying Shared rides, but took a few recently, and yep -- now I've dropped to 4.95 internally, 5.0 visible to the pax. As many drivers have claimed, there may be some truth to just avoid those silly Shareds and pesky Pools in order to avoid bad ratings!

Thanks for reading...
Lyft shared is obnoxious. Don't take them when there is traffic.

Ubermakesmewet

Lyft? People still do Lyft ?

Here’s what I’m bring quoted from Fenway to the North End. $19

They’ll probably pay the driver $7 bucks ???‍♂️
9AD2050E-62D0-44E9-9A5F-B9819B68B703.jpeg

BostonTaxiDriver

Lyft now wants us to be 5* so we keep driving for them without any surge, now if the pax doesn't rate you automatically get 5* which is why rating goes up pretty quick.
Similar to why nowadays, 85+% of Lyft pax seem to be 5.0, a few slumming it at 4.9. Under the new system last year, If we don't rate them, they automatically get five stars?

Oh, and my Lyft rating has dropped to 4.93 then up to 4.94 since my original post; shows as 4.9 to pax after rounding down. I know and accept that I'm not a legitimate 4.98-4.99 rounded up to 5.0 driver consistently. But it was nice to see temporarily...