Death Of Prime Time: Lyft keeping 10% more of fares

royalhopkin

Just went through and did some math on this past weekend versus the previous weekend. The previous weekend, I kept 66% of what the passenger paid (not including tips, for the 33% of the riders who tipped - average $1.63 in tips per ride).

Now, with the PPZ, I kept 56% of what passengers paid (not including tips for the 29% of riders who tipped - average of 76 cents of tip per ride).

Looks like this is another cash grab for Lyft to keep more of the money drivers earn. Meanwhile, passengers believe they are paying prime time or surge rates and don't tip (and tip less now than before).

Uberbuddy123

Just went through and did some math on this past weekend versus the previous weekend. The previous weekend, I kept 66% of what the passenger paid (not including tips, for the 33% of the riders who tipped - average $1.63 in tips per ride).

Now, with the PPZ, I kept 56% of what passengers paid (not including tips for the 29% of riders who tipped - average of 76 cents of tip per ride).

Looks like this is another cash grab for Lyft to keep more of the money drivers earn. Meanwhile, passengers believe they are paying prime time or surge rates and don't tip (and tip less now than before).
They are raping the poor drivers

The Tenor

For the umpteenth time. You get paid time and miles only. Stop fixating on the percentage of the total amount paid. Agree...drivers should be paid more. With uber showing a loss of billions of dollars each year, its not an easy fix.

Uberbuddy123

For the umpteenth time. You get paid time and miles only. Stop fixating on the percentage of the total amount paid. Agree...drivers should be paid more. With uber showing a loss of billions of dollars each year, its not an easy fix.
Great comment- I endorse it - with benevolent drivers like you - Uber will be able to reduce driver pay like this and still have drivers -

UbeRoBo

That is a very short sighted way of looking at it. You sound like a company stooge trying to rally the rank and file into agreeing to constant concessions while at the same time justifying it all the way and cheering how good things are. It's mentality like yours why the terms and conditions have gotten so ridiculously low. You'd be the 1st guy to cross a picket line and screw over your union brethren trying to fight the right fight. And you guys wonder why the terms keep getting worse and worse and worse. More $$$ for TNC and less $$$ for drivers has been the trend since day 1.
Post automatically merged:

Great comment- I endorse it - with benevolent drivers like you - Uber will be able to reduce driver pay like this and still have drivers -

He is the companies best friend and the enemy to rank and file. Sad that people like this. He would last 1 day in a trade labor union. There are terms for guys like him but I don't want to violate the forum decorum.

The Tenor

I've been on this forum for three years. Anyone that's been on this forum knows me.

I never said im happy, I hate uber and much as you do. But I'm not going to complain about something that does not effect my pay.

I'm wasting my time with anyone who does not understand what I clearly stated.

This is me...

Last edited by a moderator:

dctcmn

I've been on this forum for three years. Anyone that's been on this forum knows me.

I never said im happy, I hate uber and much as you do. But I'm not going to complain about something that does not effect my pay.

This is me... View attachment 314405

Just remember that the dude criticizing you said he'd report any driver who long hauled him to get a higher % of the fare-- even though it wouldn't cost him any extra time or money. He proudly said he'd force a driver to take a shorter route that paid the driver less, even though that route takes more minutes to complete.

He's no friend of the driver (or the worker-- all the pro-union BS is just that-- BS). He's just a passenger trying to stir up drama on a driver's forum.

UbeRoBo

Just remember that the dude criticizing you said he'd report any driver who long hauled him to get a higher % of the fare-- even though it wouldn't cost him any extra time or money. He proudly said he'd force a driver to take a shorter route that paid the driver less, even though that route takes more minutes to complete.

He's no friend of the driver (or the worker-- all the pro-union BS is just that-- BS). He's just a passenger trying to stir up drama on a driver's forum.
Never did I say any of that. I want the fastest ride. I don't want to sit in the car for an extra 10 minutes so the driver can make an extra $2. You are completely inaccurate in your post. You would proudly march side by side with him in accepting and triumphing lower wages and working conditions while management takes advantage of the drivers. Well done! You too would last about a day in a pool where the rank and file stands against management for better wages and benefits.

This is me... View attachment 314405
Very impressive. Looks like about $12 in tips spread out over 3 days. Cha-Ching !!!

dctcmn

Never did I say any of that. I want the fastest ride. I don't want to sit in the car for an extra 10 minutes so the driver can make an extra $2. You are completely inaccurate in your post. You would proudly march side by side with him in accepting and triumphing lower wages and working conditions while management takes advantage of the drivers. Well done! You too would last about a day in a pool where the rank and file stands against management for better wages and benefits.

Yeah, you're a real friend of the workingman.

uberoboreport.PNG

UbeRoBo

Yeah, you're a real friend of the workingman.

View attachment 314555
Thank you! I do my best for my union brothers and sisters. I do union volunteer work and I've walked several picket lines including one actual strike. As far as reporting a driver, that was mostly TIC regarding how I might potentially deal with a driver who refused to follow simple requests and instructions. Drivers have always been reasonable and respected my requests. If the day comes where I get some jarhead who can't follow simple instructions then I'll take it on a case by case basis on how I will handle it. If a driver is diminished to the point that he/she can't follow a simple request then perhaps there might be some type of mental impairment involved. There is a difference between being impaired and being intoxicated. There are many impaired people in society who aren't intoxicated.

dctcmn

Thank you! I do my best for my union brothers and sisters. I do union volunteer work and I've walked several picket lines including one actual strike. As far as reporting a driver, that was mostly TIC regarding how I might potentially deal with a driver who refused to follow simple requests and instructions. Drivers have always been reasonable and respected my requests. If the day comes where I get some jarhead who can't follow simple instructions then I'll take it on a case by case basis on how I will handle it. If a driver is diminished to the point that he/she can't follow a simple request then perhaps there might be some type of mental impairment involved. There is a difference between being impaired and being intoxicated. There are many impaired people in society who aren't intoxicated.

So Uber and Lyft take too much of the fare, but if a driver tries to get a higher percentage of the fare, you'd try to get them fired.

Got it.

UbeRoBo

So Uber and Lyft take too much of the fare, but if a driver tries to get a higher percentage of the fare, you'd try to get them fired.

Got it.

If the driver is so thick headed that he/she can't follow a simple route request then they shouldn't be driving around passengers for a living. There are different reasons why a passenger might want to go one route as opposed to another. The guidance drivers are given from Uber/Lyft is to honor such requests. Never did I say I would try to get them fired. I've taken hundreds of Uber/Lyft rides and very rarely an issue. One issue was a very unsafe driver who drove very erratic to the point where I told him to stop and I got out. The 2nd was the guy who showed up in a compact X vehicle when I requested an XL. I've never had a driver ignore a route request and I don't foresee it happening in the future. As a driver who gave almost 1000 rides I always honored route requests as the Vegas locals often were particular with the way they wanted to go...to the point where I always asked if they had a preferred route. I get your mentality that you want to long haul people to increase your pay but if you ignore a route request than that is on you, not me.

dctcmn

If the driver is so thick headed that he/she can't follow a simple route request then they shouldn't be driving around passengers for a living. There are different reasons why a passenger might want to go one route as opposed to another. The guidance drivers are given from Uber/Lyft is to honor such requests. Never did I say I would try to get them fired. I've taken hundreds of Uber/Lyft rides and very rarely an issue. One issue was a very unsafe driver who drove very erratic to the point where I told him to stop and I got out. The 2nd was the guy who showed up in a compact X vehicle when I requested an XL. I've never had a driver ignore a route request and I don't foresee it happening in the future. As a driver who gave almost 1000 rides I always honored route requests as the Vegas locals often were particular with the way they wanted to go...to the point where I always asked if they had a preferred route. I get your mentality that you want to long haul people to increase your pay but if you ignore a route request than that is on you, not me.

The driver is an independent contractor and has the right to choose whichever route they want. You being such a big workers' rights guy, you should honor that.

I don't think you give two shits about workers' rights. I think all you care about is what benefits you. You're only pro-union because it benefits you. If it stopped benefitting you, you'd be the biggest anti-union scab out there.

Kaal

Uberobo reminds me of a friend of mine. He was always complaining about union dues. And people getting "handouts."

Everyone in the US is an embarrassed millionaire.

@UbeRoBo you have 1000 rides??? Jebuz....in the two years that I've been in rideshare, I have about 2800 between uber and lyft.

How long were you driving for again?

Last edited:

UbeRoBo

Uberobo reminds me of a friend of mine. He was always complaining about union dues. And people getting "handouts."

Everyone in the US is an embarrassed millionaire.

@UbeRoBo you have 1000 rides??? Jebuz....in the two years that I've been in rideshare, I have about 2800 between uber and lyft.

How long were you driving for again?

I paid almost $4,300 in union dues last year. Never complained once. With "Right To Work" around the corner those dues will likely become optional but I'll continue to pay them and stay in the union. My union does too many great things and gets us great contracts so I will gladly continue on with being a dues paying member. Not sure what your point is about people getting hand outs. If someone truly is down on their luck and needs government assistance to get back on their feet then I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with all who do nothing but be a drain on society but that's another discussion.

As far as my ride count, I only drove part time. I had a leased vehicle with miles to burn so I started doing Uber to turn those paid for miles into $$. I only did it as a hobby because I basically had a free vehicle to drive TNC. My only expense was fuel which ran me about a nickel per mile. I enjoyed it for a few hours here and there and would pick times when it was busy in Vegas such as during the conventions. The rates and terms got so ridiculous that even though I had a free vehicle to drive, I refused to sell myself out for such ridiculous terms. I was a charter Vegas driver when the rates were $1.85 for X and $3.00 for Select and the driver kept about 80% of the fare. It's now down to 60 cents for X and about $1.40 for Select and the driver barely gets 1/2 the fare. Just look how low it's gone and guess what...the drivers cut is going to keep going down. There will be tremendous pressure with these IPO to limit losses and start showing a profit. Guess who is going to continue to get squeezed? It ain't the folks pulling the strings in the offices and writing the algorythems.

Last edited by a moderator:

dctcmn

I paid almost $4,300 in union dues last year. Never complained once. With "Right To Work" around the corner those dues will likely become optional but I'll continue to pay them and stay in the union. My union does too many great things and gets us great contracts so I will gladly continue on with being a dues paying member. Not sure what your point is about people getting hand outs. If someone truly is down on their luck and needs government assistance to get back on their feet then I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with all who do nothing but be a drain on society but that's another discussion.

As far as my ride count, I only drove part time. I had a leased vehicle with miles to burn so I started doing Uber to turn those paid for miles into $$. I only did it as a hobby because I basically had a free vehicle to drive TNC. My only expense was fuel which ran me about a nickel per mile. I enjoyed it for a few hours here and there and would pick times when it was busy in Vegas such as during the conventions. The rates and terms got so ridiculous that even though I had a free vehicle to drive, I refused to sell myself out for such ridiculous terms. I was a charter Vegas driver when the rates were $1.85 for X and $3.00 for Select and the driver kept about 80% of the fare. It's now down to 60 cents for X and about $1.40 for Select and the driver barely gets 1/2 the fare. Just look how low it's gone and guess what...the drivers cut is going to keep going down. There will be tremendous pressure with these IPO to limit losses and start showing a profit. Guess who is going to continue to get squeezed? It ain't the folks pulling the strings in the offices and writing the algorythems.

Mr. "I'm happy to make $25/hr driving Select" with his revisionist history. lol. This will never get old for me.

Uberobo.PNG

UbeRoBo

Mr. "I'm happy to make $25/hr driving Select" with his revisionist history. lol. This will never get old for me.

View attachment 314797
Not sure what your point is? My response was to the other guys post about union dues and complaining about people getting hand outs. As usual, you have nothing valuable to contribute to the conversation.

dctcmn

Not sure what your point is? My response was to the other guys post about union dues and complaining about people getting hand outs. As usual, you have nothing valuable to contribute to the conversation.

My point is that you fabricate stories on the internet because you have a rampant inferiority complex. What you say now does not match up with what you said you were driving.

And what value do you bring to this forum? Really, I'd love to hear an honest answer from you. Please tell me what value do you think your posts bring to the Uber and Lyft drivers that work in Minneapolis?