• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Dear Television News Reporters,

Spreading misinformation is not helping (Rider safety.)

UberPax.jpeg

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I was watching my local news broadcast in Seattle Washington, Local Q13 News. I'm very fond of this news affiliate and watch it daily. Their local reporters are likable, intelligent, and very good at their jobs. This is why I was shocked to hear one of the most talented members of their team, Ms. Brandi Kruse, speak in error when referring to the proper procedures for Uber drivers in confirming a rider's (Pax) name.

BrandiKruse.PNG

Brandi Kruse:
https://q13fox.com/author/bkruse9/

She was doing a story about the recent string of events where female pax are getting raped and even murdered by fraudulent rideshare drivers. After reporting the story, Ms. Kruse then began running through a list of tips riders need to use in order to guarantee their safety.

Of course she went through the usual preliminary steps: Check the car license plate, the make, model, color... then confirm the driver's face to the picture and the driver's name as well. All was fine up until her next few sentences.

"Make sure you get the driver to tell you your name! Do not give your name to the driver. Make them say your name. They have it in their app.They better know your name!"

:eek::eek: I almost spit out my coffee! "Oh what the hell did she just say?? This is why I had two pax just yesterday pull this crap on me!" Coffee down and laptop open.....Lissetti has some words to say to this reporter.

This is the email I sent off to her this morning April 5th, 2019 9:55 AM. I'm waiting on a response. Q13 News is usually good about replying back to their community. I'll keep you guys posted as to the status of the reply.

Attention: Brandi Kruse

Hello Ms. Kruse,

I am a female Uber driver and I have performed this job for over 2 years while I attended college. I'm writing to you about a statement you said in your morning broadcast about the fake Uber driver rape story. You said that the Uber driver is the one who is supposed to say the rider's name. This is incorrect and Uber has warned us drivers against using this practice. We are supposed to ask the rider's name, not say it. The reason is because random people can approach a waiting car and essentially "steal" a paying customer's Uber ride by and saying they are indeed the name of the person the driver asked for. Then once that person is in the car and the ride is underway, the rider will attempt to continue the fraud by saying they put the wrong address in the app and they will just give directions to where they want to go.

The experienced Uber drivers will realize something is up and pull over immediately. The problem now is that we have a stranger in our car who is not identified Uber's system by either their account ID or by info extracted through their phone data. Uber has no way of tracking this person should anything transpire. This happened to me once as a rookie Uber driver when I pulled up to The Shelter bar in Ballard one Saturday morning at 2:20 am. A man walked up my car and asked who I was looking for. I told him the name of the rider I was looking for, "Jake." The man said that was him and got in the car. About a mile away my phone rang. It was my real rider I was supposed to pick up, the real Jake.

Jake canceled the ride and I pulled over to tell the man sitting behind me that he got in the wrong Uber. He angrily told me it didn't matter and that he just lived a couple miles away and to take him home and he will give me cash. That is against Uber's policy too and I told him that. He refused to get out of the car. Like I said I am a female driver and this was a large, angry drunk man. Further, we were both alone in my car on a dark street at 2:30 am. So as to not escalate matters, I did as I was told and took him to his destination. As he got out he tossed a $20.00 bill on my console.

Yes I made $20.00 out of a bad situation but this could have ended much worse for me. This man was not Jake. He does not exist in Uber's system. There would be no way for Uber to track this man had he attacked me and fled after. I had got into a car accident with this individual in the vehicle, Uber's insurance would not cover any damages including the rider's medical injuries because since the rider in my car was not their customer, I was working "off app" in a street hail fashion which is not only against Uber policy, but it's against the law for rideshare drivers to do. Street hail is legal for taxi cabs only.

Please do not tell your listeners that the driver should say the rider's name. We are only to ask their name, or the rider can confirm our name. Unlike Lyft, we Uber driver's have no picture or other way identify a rider on the app other than their name and location. Meanwhile Uber gives the rider more than enough information to identify their driver. Riders are given the driver's car make, model, color and most importantly the car's license plate number. Rider's are also given the driver's name, picture, as well. The burden of proof is upon the rider to clarify that they are getting into the right car. Further, Uber makes sure they supply the rider all the tools they need to ensure they are getting into the proper vehicle.

I also work as a moderator for the world's largest online rideshare forum, uberpeople.net. You are welcome to come to our forum anytime and see what we drivers are saying about this recent turn of events and other issues. I've supplied some links to some threads on our forum regarding this topic that may be of interest to you. You aren't the only reporter who is telling the public to make the driver say the rider's name. This has gone nationwide.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-riders-refusing-to-give-their-name.319349/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/national-whats-my-name-campaign.319282/

Also, from Uber.com.

https://help.uber.com/partners/article/the-wrong-rider-took-this-trip------?nodeId=7a3db1b8-1521-452c-bfa4-8474f119c26f

I watch the Q13 news broadcast daily, and I think you are an excellent reporter and very talented. I look forward to your in depth commentaries on local and national issues. However please do not continue to spread this misinformation about rider name confirmation tactics. We Uber drivers are also part of your community that you seek to protect. Why put information out there that not only is against Uber guidelines, but also jeopardizes our safety as well?

Thank you,

Lissetti

TheDevilisaParttimer

Spreading misinformation is not helping (Rider safety.)

View attachment 309695

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I was watching my local news broadcast in Seattle Washington, Local Q13 News. I'm very fond of this news affiliate and watch it daily. Their local reporters are likable, intelligent, and very good at their jobs. This is why I was shocked to hear one of the most talented members of their team, Ms. Brandi Kruse, speak in error when referring to the proper procedures for Uber drivers in confirming a rider's (Pax) name.

View attachment 309700
Brandi Kruse:
https://q13fox.com/author/bkruse9/

She was doing a story about the recent string of events where female pax are getting raped and even murdered by fraudulent rideshare drivers. After reporting the story, Ms. Kruse then began running through a list of tips riders need to use in order to guarantee their safety.

Of course she went through the usual preliminary steps: Check the car license plate, the make, model, color... then confirm the driver's face to the picture and the driver's name as well. All was fine up until her next few sentences.

"Make sure you get the driver to tell you your name! Do not give your name to the driver. Make them say your name. They have it in their app.They better know your name!"

:eek::eek: I almost spit out my coffee! "Oh what the hell did she just say?? This is why I had two pax just yesterday pull this crap on me!" Coffee down and laptop open.....Lissetti has some words to say to this reporter.

This is the email I sent off to her this morning April 5th, 2019 9:55 AM. I'm waiting on a response. Q13 News is usually good about replying back to their community. I'll keep you guys posted as to the status of the reply.

Attention: Brandi Kruse

Hello Ms. Kruse,

I am a female Uber driver and I have performed this job for over 2 years while I attended college. I'm writing to you about a statement you said in your morning broadcast about the fake Uber driver rape story. You said that the Uber driver is the one who is supposed to say the rider's name. This is incorrect and Uber has warned us drivers against using this practice. We are supposed to ask the rider's name, not say it. The reason is because random people can approach a waiting car and essentially "steal" a paying customer's Uber ride by and saying they are indeed the name of the person the driver asked for. Then once that person is in the car and the ride is underway, the rider will attempt to continue the fraud by saying they put the wrong address in the app and they will just give directions to where they want to go.

The experienced Uber drivers will realize something is up and pull over immediately. The problem now is that we have a stranger in our car who is not identified Uber's system by either their account ID or by info extracted through their phone data. Uber has no way of tracking this person should anything transpire. This happened to me once as a rookie Uber driver when I pulled up to The Shelter bar in Ballard one Saturday morning at 2:20 am. A man walked up my car and asked who I was looking for. I told him the name of the rider I was looking for, "Jake." The man said that was him and got in the car. About a mile away my phone rang. It was my real rider I was supposed to pick up, the real Jake.

Jake canceled the ride and I pulled over to tell the man sitting behind me that he got in the wrong Uber. He angrily told me it didn't matter and that he just lived a couple miles away and to take him home and he will give me cash. That is against Uber's policy too and I told him that. He refused to get out of the car. Like I said I am a female driver and this was a large, angry drunk man. Further, we were both alone in my car on a dark street at 2:30 am. So as to not escalate matters, I did as I was told and took him to his destination. As he got out he tossed a $20.00 bill on my console.

Yes I made $20.00 out of a bad situation but this could have ended much worse for me. This man was not Jake. He does not exist in Uber's system. There would be no way for Uber to track this man had he attacked me and fled after. I had got into a car accident with this individual in the vehicle, Uber's insurance would not cover any damages including the rider's medical injuries because since the rider in my car was not their customer, I was working "off app" in a street hail fashion which is not only against Uber policy, but it's against the law for rideshare drivers to do. Street hail is legal for taxi cabs only.

Please do not tell your listeners that the driver should say the rider's name. We are only to ask their name, or the rider can confirm our name. Unlike Lyft, we Uber driver's have no picture or other way identify a rider on the app other than their name and location. Meanwhile Uber gives the rider more than enough information to identify their driver. Riders are given the driver's car make, model, color and most importantly the car's license plate number. Rider's are also given the driver's name, picture, as well. The burden of proof is upon the rider to clarify that they are getting into the right car. Further, Uber makes sure they supply the rider all the tools they need to ensure they are getting into the proper vehicle.

I also work as a moderator for the world's largest online rideshare forum, uberpeople.net. You are welcome to come to our forum anytime and see what we drivers are saying about this recent turn of events and other issues. I've supplied some links to some threads on our forum regarding this topic that may be of interest to you. You aren't the only reporter who is telling the public to make the driver say the rider's name. This has gone nationwide.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber-riders-refusing-to-give-their-name.319349/

https://uberpeople.net/threads/national-whats-my-name-campaign.319282/

Also, from Uber.com.

https://help.uber.com/partners/article/the-wrong-rider-took-this-trip------?nodeId=7a3db1b8-1521-452c-bfa4-8474f119c26f

I watch the Q13 news broadcast daily, and I think you are an excellent reporter and very talented. I look forward to your in depth commentaries on local and national issues. However please do not continue to spread this misinformation about rider name confirmation tactics. We Uber drivers are also part of your community that you seek to protect. Why put information out there that not only is against Uber guidelines, but also jeopardizes our safety as well?

Thank you,
Another reason I don’t wear trade dress.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another reason I don’t wear trade dress.
I don't either anymore. I always point to the front plate and make them read it off. I tell them you can buy anything, Emblems, beacons, and Lyft lamps online. So they better be looking at the plate number and all the other information Uber/lyft gives them.

The Texan

I have pointed to the app., you know, the one we all have running on some type of Smart Phone holder for us? I point to their name, etc.

I will confess I often see riders looking at my plates to confirm as I pull up, before they get in. Certainly not all, but many do.

The Gift of Fish

Since she’s pretty hot I’ll forgive her this time. I hope you get a favorable response from her and she corrects herself on the news.
Yeah, she has a hint of (a young) Lauren Bacall about her. I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

Anyway, if pax start refusing to give their names it's not a problem. The driver can give the pax their name, but they only get the ride of they can tell the driver his/her name. Problem solved.

Launchpad McQuack

Our local news station one upped this yesterday. They suggested that every Uber driver should be required to have a lighted sign in the front window that displays the rider's name. That way the rider can make sure that they are getting in the right car when they are too lazy/drunk/etc. to check plate numbers.

The city government in Newark is considering making the lighted Lyft/Uber signs mandatory for all rideshare drivers. I find it kind of amusing that we are potentially going from being ticketed for having the lighted signs to having them be mandatory.

Taksomotor

I agree with the advice that the driver should call the name. That is how the pax knows the rider is not some random guy, additional security. The argument if some one trying to steal a ride is not good. Nobody steals a ride and no driver drives the passangeres to so new destination without making them change it in the app.

Also, if the driver is so concerned with safety or that some one might steal a ride, the driver can ask the pax to tell the driver the driver's name - the pax should know the driver's name.

Also, that is exactly how some victims get into the wrong car. Hey, are you here to pick up Liz, she asked. Yes, get in, he said. Then he raped her. True story!

hrswartz

Our local news station one upped this yesterday. They suggested that every Uber driver should be required to have a lighted sign in the front window that displays the rider's name. That way the rider can make sure that they are getting in the right car when they are too lazy/drunk/etc. to check plate numbers.

The city government in Newark is considering making the lighted Lyft/Uber signs mandatory for all rideshare drivers. I find it kind of amusing that we are potentially going from being ticketed for having the lighted signs to having them be mandatory.
Agreed... isn't it the responsibility of the ride requester to verify the car they're getting into is the one they ordered? As tragic as that SC murder was, alcohol was involved but having a lighted sign (one that can be acquired by anyone) would not have prevented that crime... We're just a society of "close the barn door after the horse has escaped". People are dumb, politicians are dumber... just sayin'

NORMY

Agreed... isn't it the responsibility of the ride requester to verify the car they're getting into is the one they ordered? As tragic as that SC murder was, alcohol was involved but having a lighted sign (one that can be acquired by anyone) would not have prevented that crime... We're just a society of "close the barn door after the horse has escaped". People are dumb, politicians are dumber... just sayin'
Ok so she at fox news has spread misinformation.
Post automatically merged:

Another weak mind using profanity to express itself... stupid.
im-just-gonna-stop-you-right-there-i-dont-speak-7324198.png

Fozzie

The problem is Lyft's kissing ass in response the the murder in South Carolina.

We all know that the passenger is supposed to verify their information for us, however a recent "Lyft Blog" says...