Dear Dara,

Mazda3

Dear Dara,

I'd like to get a couple of things off my chest to hopefully give you point of view from the driver. My quick history in rideshare is: 6-1/2 years, started with a Mazda3, went to a Lux car and then a Lux XL. I was part time until I became Coronavirus unemployed, now I'm full time. Below are the topics I would like to address with you:

Black Lux
Why did you get rid of this? I know you gave us plenty of time to get ready for it, but deleting it during the Pandemic is a little nasty don't you think? You have NO expenses to offer this category. Thanks for getting me to buy a $70,000 SUV to only delete the category. Nice.

No Pings?
Sometimes while sitting with both Lyft and Uber on, I'll get a Lyft ping and the rider will tell me they tried to get an Uber, but it said no cars were available. I've written to Uber Support a couple of times about this but they don't respond at all. I know that your algorithm will make it harder for more seasoned drivers to get a ping, but your algorithm might be taking it too far. Wouldn't it be better to get the business?

Multiple Blocks to Get Driving
I have to stop the car when driving, take my mask off, take a picture of myself to prove it's me, then I have to put my mask back on to take another picture of myself to prove I'm wearing a mask.... then, have to answer 4 questions about my COVID-19 preventative measures. Man! That's a lot just to get online. Also, my riders have been complaining about having to take their pictures now. I've been picking up regular Uber customers on Lyft because of this.

Raise the Rates
I know, I know. All the drivers repeat this mantra, but it's true. The rates are too low and getting drivers to drive for those rates is not ethical. You know they're not making any money, but don't realize it. Riders didn't mind the rates when Uber first came out, so please raise the rates back up. Paying the drivers more would steal all the drivers from the other services. Can we not play games with points and stuff? I can't buy anything with those.

My Default Profiles
Let me tell you how I've settled on working these days. I'll run Lyft XL on up to their Black Lux XL, but I'm only running Uber Premier. I'm busy enough with Lyft to not run Uber XL. Sorry. Also, I really think Premier sucks.

So there's a couple of things that have been bugging me recently. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Sincerely,

Mazda3

Seamus

Dara asked me to forward this to you.

Dear @Mazda3 ,

Thanks for writing, I always like reading the notes drivers send to me. Sometimes just for fun I let our janitor Tony read them as he is taking them out to the dumpster. Tony likes to read them as he finds many of them funny. Hope you don't mind.

I will respond to your points.

Thanks for getting me to buy a $70,000 SUV to only delete the category. Nice
Congratulations on your purchase! This should be the perfect vehicle for picking up our Walmart customers. I hope you are staging near the one closest to you. Please don't forget to offer to help load the groceries.
Uber Support a couple of times about this but they don't respond at all
Since you aren't receiving pings and haven't received the many messages support sent you, I can only conclude your phone is experiencing technical issues. You may want to go back to the Chinese Restaurant you bought it in and see if they will offer to provide technical support for it. It would be smart to go in between lunch and dinner.
my riders have been complaining about having to take their pictures now
For clarification, YOU are not supposed to be taking their picture, I can see why they are getting upset. Customers must take their own pictures.
The rates are too low
You have obviously missed the memo. We have been telling you for years that lower rates = more money.
I'm only running Uber Premier
I would suggest adding Uber X to your plan. Please see my comments above regarding rates.

All the best,

-Dara

dmoney155

Dear Dara,

I'd like to get a couple of things off my chest to hopefully give you point of view from the driver. My quick history in rideshare is: 6-1/2 years, started with a Mazda3, went to a Lux car and then a Lux XL. I was part time until I became Coronavirus unemployed, now I'm full time. Below are the topics I would like to address with you:

Black Lux
Why did you get rid of this? I know you gave us plenty of time to get ready for it, but deleting it during the Pandemic is a little nasty don't you think? You have NO expenses to offer this category. Thanks for getting me to buy a $70,000 SUV to only delete the category. Nice.

No Pings?
Sometimes while sitting with both Lyft and Uber on, I'll get a Lyft ping and the rider will tell me they tried to get an Uber, but it said no cars were available. I've written to Uber Support a couple of times about this but they don't respond at all. I know that your algorithm will make it harder for more seasoned drivers to get a ping, but your algorithm might be taking it too far. Wouldn't it be better to get the business?

I have to stop the car when driving, take my mask off, take a picture of myself to prove it's me, then I have to put my mask back on to take another picture of myself to prove I'm wearing a mask.... then, have to answer 4 questions about my COVID-19 preventative measures. Man! That's a lot just to get online. Also, my riders have been complaining about having to take their pictures now. I've been picking up regular Uber customers on Lyft because of this.

Raise the Rates
I know, I know. All the drivers repeat this mantra, but it's true. The rates are too low and getting drivers to drive for those rates is not ethical. You know they're not making any money, but don't realize it. Riders didn't mind the rates when Uber first came out, so please raise the rates back up. Paying the drivers more would steal all the drivers from the other services. Can we not play games with points and stuff? I can't buy anything with those.

My Default Profiles
Let me tell you how I've settled on working these days. I'll run Lyft XL on up to their Black Lux XL, but I'm only running Uber Premier. I'm busy enough with Lyft to not run Uber XL. Sorry. Also, I really think Premier sucks.

So there's a couple of things that have been bugging me recently. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Sincerely,

Mazda3
Got 3 pings in a time you wrote this... rather make peanuts than whine.
Post automatically merged:

Dear Mazda3, that is truly awful. I feel for you. When I read that my heart sunk...
I'm not feeling sorry for him one bit... who in their right mind would buy 70K car for bubbering.... 6.5 years and still haven't learned.... well I guess that's why he is taking pictures of the pax.

Young Kim

Dara asked me to forward this to you.

Dear @Mazda3 ,

Thanks for writing, I always like reading the notes drivers send to me. Sometimes just for fun I let our janitor Tony read them as he is taking them out to the dumpster. Tony likes to read them as he finds many of them funny. Hope you don't mind.

I will respond to your points.

Congratulations on your purchase! This should be the perfect vehicle for picking up our Walmart customers. I hope you are staging near the one closest to you. Please don't forget to offer to help load the groceries.

Since you aren't receiving pings and haven't received the many messages support sent you, I can only conclude your phone is experiencing technical issues. You may want to go back to the Chinese Restaurant you bought it in and see if they will offer to provide technical support for it.

All the best,

-Dara

Suddenly Seamus's IQ "Witty Quotient" jumped 25 points for me. Most excellent rejoinder. He deserves the UP.net Medal of the Week! Cheers to King Seamus!!! :laugh:

kc ub'ing!

OP is echoing the same complaint the driver who argued with Travis on video had 4 years ago. Travis said, take responsibility for your own life. Driver said, I bought the expensive car THEN you changed the service/pay scale!

That driver had a point 4 years ago. But to be burned by the same sitch by the same company 4 years later? Let Dara alone dude! You need take responsibility for your own life.

Myxx

Dear Dara,

Black Lux

No Pings?

Raise the Rates

My Default Profiles

Sincerely,

Mazda3
Dear Mazda 3

Thank you for not running Uber XL. I appreciate your support :smiles:

TheDevilisaParttimer

Dear Dara,

mooning.jpg

Taxi2Uber

I would suggest adding Uber X to your plan. Please see my comments above regarding rates.
....and consider adding UberEats for more earning potential, due to higher demands because of Covid.

....or move to Chicago area.

Young Kim

uber told you to buy 70000 car? if uber told you to drive that car off a pier would you? nobodys fault but your own for buying 70000 car to do uber.

Indeed I totally completely agree with you (about how it was not a good idea to buy that car). But still, don't you feel a bit sorry for the guy? I dropped off a passenger once who bought a new large Infinity to do Uber Select and he stopped driving and was stuck with a 65,000 dollar car. Completely bankrupted him... I know we are all responsible for our own actions, but I personally feel for the guy...

mrpjfresh

I think the biggest sin here is that you have been driving for 6.5 years and still do not fully grasp the nature of this business relationship. I figured most things out within a few weeks (and got my finishing school here on up.net) and 96% of people who start driving with Uber are gone within the first year. Uber relies on people making bad business decisions to continue to operate and cover all the riders who need service. You are among the 4% but unfortunately have not yet figured this out. You did mention that you switched to full-time recently and this gig can be very different going from part-time to full, especially when you try to make it your only source of income!

When you are in a business relationship with someone, you do not give away all your leverage and expect the other side to do the right thing. Buying a new $70k car to use full-time for Uber does this. You are already doing exactly what they want. What incentive does Uber have to offer you anything else when you are already right where they want you? They pay essentially 1980 taxi rates, give or take, in most places, so this means you should find a vehicle as close as you can get that is reflective of that level of compensation. If Uber wants to pay me more, I would consider getting a better class of car but then again, the trust there needs to be rebuilt, badly, because of the multiple rug pulls over the years. Frankly, buying such a nice vehicle for riders makes you part of the problem and your own worst enemy.

I don't say all this to be mean, but as the old Sicilian saying goes: " Only true friends will tell you when your face is dirty". You've made it to up.net and there is lots of good information to learn if you browse/search through old threads.

Mazda3

Okay. Okay. The SUV had a MSRP of $70K. I bought a used one for $35K. Jeez. Cut a guy a break. I was just trying to make Dara feel bad. I feel like I pretty much know what I'm doing. Don't worry about me. I also have a whole career thingy I can go back to. I'm just hanging to watch the end of the world in a couple of months.

I didn't bring this up because I want you to feel sorry for me, but I bring this up to point out what an unethical company Uber is. I'm angry. And yes, it is exactly like when Travis was in the car with the driver who was @@@@@ing about the rates. Dara talks about protecting everyone from Corona virus, but then goes and destroys a whole class of product, leaving the people that bought the cars out to dry. I am surprised there wasn't more outrage when they cut Lux.

I'm also really getting sick of Uber not pinging us, not giving a ride to the requesting rider. That's BS.