Dealer is trying to say I can't get a used car for xchange?

Tina S

I have a dealer I called and he is trying to strong arm me into a new car for xchange. He said if I was approved for a new car I have to get a new one. Is it true or is he being an ass? I don't have a car so I told him I'm not going to uber all the way there if he doesn't have a list of cars that I'm interested in. I seriously hate car salesmen!

Old Smokey

I have a dealer I called and he is trying to strong arm me into a new car for xchange. He said if I was approved for a new car I have to get a new one. Is it true or is he being an ass? I don't have a car so I told him I'm not going to uber all the way there if he doesn't have a list of cars that I'm interested in. I seriously hate car salesmen!
Is the car a lease or a buy? How is your credit, do you have enough for a downpayment? Exchange is "sub prime lending" If you stop driving would you be able to make a car payment every week? If you buy somewhere else don't tell them you intend on doing Uber. They won't approve the loan. Car should be for non-commercial use. Personal family use. Think h

mghtyred

Xchange leasing has UNLIMITED MILES. Big benefit.

Plus you can end the lease at any time, so "able to make a car payment every week?" if you choose to stop driving is a non issue.

Go to a more reputable dealer.

At Toyota of Santa Monica, you can get a late model Prius or a NEW Prius C for about the same weekly cost. I wouldn't bother with the Prius C though. It's way too small for rideshare.

Tina S

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Plus you can end the lease at any time, so "able to make a car payment every week?" if you choose to stop driving is a non issue.

At Toyota of Santa Monica, you can get a late model Prius or a NEW Prius C for about the same weekly cost. I wouldn't bother with the Prius C though. It's way too small for rideshare.
Problem is I live in Lon Beach and have no car..an uber would be expensive RT and as you know you don't get the car the same day. Seems hertz may be my only option and they are very limited on choices. I'm curious what your weekly payment is on your Prius?

LA Dispatcher

Problem is I live in Lon Beach and have no car..an uber would be expensive RT and as you know you don't get the car the same day. Seems hertz may be my only option and they are very limited on choices. I'm curious what your weekly payment is on your Prius?
Look up the Hertz inventory online and then call to see if the car is available. You can even calculate the weekly payment.

Tina S

Yea I tried that..Apparantly these dealers only allocate certain vehicles for the xchange program. So you have to call and ask what vehicles they have available. The ones online are not the ones available. And So far the places near me only have one or two. But I was just reminded that a good friend of ours works at a Toyota dealership so I gave him a call. I'm waiting to hear back from him!

uber jay

The cost for the lease is about 1%. So a $12,000 car is about $120/wk payment. Hertz has a lot of cars. Also you may want to look into the Enterprise rental program. They are in Long Beach. I didn't have a car and drove the rent a car till I could save and got my own pre owned car. At least it got me making money right away!

black rhino

I'm considering doing the XChange Leasing program in Philadelphia. The car ends up being around $160/week. If I drive around 1000 miles/week, is it possible for this to be profitable?
Thanks, yall

Tina S

Get the $100/week car to minimize operating costs. Profitability depends on the rates and incentives Philly has for drivers.
What cars typically are $100? I went in today to Hertz of Torrance and a 2014 Corolla S or 2015 Hyundai Elantra both came out to $140 a wk. Does that seem high? I might have to settle for a versa at those prices!

UberIsAllFubared

And you are gonna pay double what I paid for my Prius C. Put $500 down, and my payments for a brand new Prius C are $365. Exchange Leasing was gonna charge me $175 a WEEK.

If you are gonna do this for any length of time, you are better off buying a car. The one good aspect of exchange leasing is to see if you can do/put up with being an uber driver. Cause if you hate it, you can walk away from the lease and it only costs you $250 deposit. The unlimited miles is nice, but for double the price of a car? I personally don't think so.

UberIsAllFubared

At the end of the day, you are going to make $20-30 an hour, BEFORE expenses. That is before car payment, before insurance (and you should have ride share insurance or you will be dropped from insurance if your insurer finds out you are driving for uber), before cell phone, before gas, before TAXES. Start doing the math people. Lets say you are the best uber driver ever, and you make $30 an hour (you won't, especially at first, and depending on your market). 30 x 40 hours equals 1200. If you make $22 an hour, thats 880 a week. Honestly, you won't even be making $12 an hour after expenses.

Tina S

And you are gonna pay double what I paid for my Prius C. Put $500 down, and my payments for a brand new Prius C are $365. Exchange Leasing was gonna charge me $175 a WEEK.

If you are gonna do this for any length of time, you are better off buying a car. The one good aspect of exchange leasing is to see if you can do/put up with being an uber driver. Cause if you hate it, you can walk away from the lease and it only costs you $250 deposit. The unlimited miles is nice, but for double the price of a car? I personally don't think so.
Reputable Dealers don't exist. My credit sucks and I have tried. They wanted $560 a month for a $12,000 5 yr. lease and $500 at one place, most others asked for thousands down, with a high payment for the 72 months. At least with uber I can give it back and not stuck in a 5 yr. contract paying that much. Everyone has their reasons for this program and I've been doing research.

LA Dispatcher

What cars typically are $100? I went in today to Hertz of Torrance and a 2014 Corolla S or 2015 Hyundai Elantra both came out to $140 a wk. Does that seem high? I might have to settle for a versa at those prices!
I got the Versa hatchback for $100 per week. Plenty of legroom in back seats and decent mpg. They might also have a Nissan sentra for slightly more. Can you afford to pay about $200 extra? This will only increase your operating costs. That extra $200 can go towards your rideshare insurance instead.

UberIsAllFubared

Then for the love of God, get a used cheap lease. And I know you can get a used one, as I looked into it. The reason the dealers don't want to give you a used car for the lease is because they make way more money on them than exchange leasing is willing to pay.

Tina S

Then for the love of God, get a used cheap lease. And I know you can get a used one, as I looked into it. The reason the dealers don't want to give you a used car for the lease is because they make way more money on them than exchange leasing is willing to pay.
Your credit and my credit could be miles apart. You don't know my situation to understand the reasons I've chosen this. Don't you think I would have exhausted all the better options! I'm not going in blindly but I have a plan in place. I'm just asking other xchange drivers what they pay for their Xchange weekly to compare.

UberIsAllFubared

Your question was, "can I get a used car for Xchange leasing, and my answer that you just quoted was Yes. Dealer might not want to give you one, but if they are signed up with Xchange leasing, they are suppose to. Report the dealer to Xchange leasing.