Deal reached on ride-sharing regulations

SoxFan79

Just announced about 11:30.

"House and Senate negotiators have agreed on a bill to regulate ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft in Massachusetts.

The deal was unveiled less than an hour before a midnight deadline for the Legislature to end formal sessions for the year.

The bill would require a two-tiered system of background checks for all drivers for the app-based ride services, one conducted by the company and another by the state.

Dropped from the compromise was a House-passed proposal that would have temporarily banned Uber and Lyft drivers from picking up passengers at Logan International Airport and the Boston convention center."

Last edited:

dnlbaboof

how is this a win????? any concessions made on cancels, acceptence rates, pools, 85 cent a mile rates?????????

dnlbaboof

the regulation actually are of no help to drivers, busisness licenses, background checks dont do much. now a minimum rate per mile, no pool would be nice

Last edited:
Reactions: NBR

UberGuyMike

Looks like we'll be able to pick up at the airport again though, which is good.
The only potential negative I see with that though is that now, they can stop adding the toll to airport runs, which would force us to wait around at the airport for a ping if we want to have a rider pay the toll out. Plus, we're now going to have to pay commercial toll rates. But hopefully, business at Logan is strong enough to make that all not a problem.

DudeGuy

The only potential negative I see with that though is that now, they can stop adding the toll to airport runs, which would force us to wait around at the airport for a ping if we want to have a rider pay the toll out. Plus, we're now going to have to pay commercial toll rates. But hopefully, business at Logan is strong enough to make that all not a problem.
It's only uberTAXI and UberBlack that can pick up at Logan, even with this new deal?

Gung-Ho

Where exactly at the airport do you think you will be able to "wait around"? The cell phone lots are always jammed you won't be able to stand at a curb by a terminal for more than 30 seconds. Are you going to constantly circle until you get a ping. That will cause a cluster bleep of gridlock.

Gung-Ho

And the story in the globe said " drivers with the right permits" would be allowed to pick up at Logan. Sounds like no uberx just same uber black car liverys. It would be nice to be able to read exactly what's in the new bill.

Veal66

some additional details

http://patch.com/massachusetts/beac...uber-lyft-regulations-package-late-night-vote

- some interesting highlights:
  • allows the state to tax Uber, Lyft and similar companies 20 cents per ride, a cost which must be paid by the company and not passed on to drivers, and half of which will then be proportionally distributed to cities/towns in which it's collected (to be spent on municipal projects, such as maintaining roads and bridges).
  • mandates that mobile ride-hailing companies provide "clear and conspicuous transportation fare estimates to riders at all times, including during surge pricing, high volume and high demand times." Uber already started doing this. They state the exact fare up front now.
  • prohibits such companies from raising base fares during a federal or a governor-declared state of emergency.
  • convenes a "ride-for-hire task force" that includes representatives from taxi, insurance, disability advocates, mobile ride-hailing and other groups to provide recommendations and proposed legislation on numerous related issues by July 1, 2017.
  • temporarily bans ride-hailing pickups at Logan International Airport terminal until MassPort sets its own rules for safe pickups at the airport.
  • lets the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority establish its own rules regulating traffic flow and pickup locations, regarding taxis and mobile ride-hailing companies.

BostonTaxiDriver

some additional details

http://patch.com/massachusetts/beac...uber-lyft-regulations-package-late-night-vote

- some interesting highlights:
  • allows the state to tax Uber, Lyft and similar companies 20 cents per ride, a cost which must be paid by the company and not passed on to drivers, and half of which will then be proportionally distributed to cities/towns in which it's collected (to be spent on municipal projects, such as maintaining roads and bridges).
  • mandates that mobile ride-hailing companies provide "clear and conspicuous transportation fare estimates to riders at all times, including during surge pricing, high volume and high demand times." Uber already started doing this. They state the exact fare up front now.
  • prohibits such companies from raising base fares during a federal or a governor-declared state of emergency.
  • convenes a "ride-for-hire task force" that includes representatives from taxi, insurance, disability advocates, mobile ride-hailing and other groups to provide recommendations and proposed legislation on numerous related issues by July 1, 2017.
  • temporarily bans ride-hailing pickups at Logan International Airport terminal until MassPort sets its own rules for safe pickups at the airport.
  • lets the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority establish its own rules regulating traffic flow and pickup locations, regarding taxis and mobile ride-hailing companies.
Regarding the second-to-the-last point:

temporarily bans... that IMPLIES ALL rideshare pickups, even UberBlack...but I doubt that's the case?

See how confusing it is.. and it's not even in legalise, so I should have a shot at understanding it...but I don't.

Hmmm....

As far as a rideshare area for those drivers to wait, and thus not block the flow of traffic...well, it seems that all the other airports now allowing rideshare have managed to construct a waiting lot, but does Logan have ANY room for that?

And no direct mention of displaying trade dress.

The city regulates taxi prices, and when they can increase. If it's to be a level playing field for all, shouldn't the city or state have some say? After all, the cab companies don't set the rates, the Boston police Hackney department does...yet Uber and Lyft decide their own prices without any input from the city, state or police. Not sure if rideshare drivers would prefer a government -- or some other independent entity -- influencing rates.

I saw an attachment in cbsboston,com with the policy (well, I think it was the new proposal...it seemed to be pages and pages). I skimmed randomly, and did notice a mention about telling your insurance company about your rideshare activity. Yet, that was never mentiones in the few stories I've seen so far since the decision.

Last edited:

BillyTheKidd

Yes, we need all the details. Speculation is useless.

Doesn't gov. Baker need to sign this before it becomes law?
Yes, the governor has to sign all legislation before it becomes law.

I do not believe this will be the final version of the law/legislation. Requiring commercial insurance, livery plates and requiring a medallion to operate a taxi is clearly not "equal protection under the law". I believe this will go to federal courts to ultimately determine a final outcome.

Gung-Ho

Regarding the second-to-the-last point:

temporarily bans... that IMPLIES ALL rideshare pickups, even UberBlack...but I doubt that's the case?

See how confusing it is.. and it's not even in legalise, so I should have a shot at understanding it...but I don't.

Hmmm....

As far as a rideshare area for those drivers to wait, and thus not block the flow of traffic...well, it seems that all the other airports now allowing rideshare have managed to construct a waiting lot, but does Logan have ANY room for that?

And no direct mention of displaying trade dress.

The city regulates taxi prices, and when they can increase. If it's to be a level playing field for all, shouldn't the city or state have some say? After all, the cab companies don't set the rates, the Boston police Hackney department does...yet Uber and Lyft decide their own prices without any input from the city, state or police. Not sure if rideshare drivers would prefer a government -- or some other independent entity -- influencing rates.

I saw an attachment in cbsboston,com with the policy (well, I think it was the new proposal...it seemed to be pages and pages). I skimmed randomly, and did notice a mention about telling your insurance company about your rideshare activity. Yet, that was never mentiones in the few stories I've seen so far since the decision.
All I can say is I drive a Livery out in and out of Logan from the Cape. I need a million dollar liability insurance and have to get my insurance guy to list Massport on a binder for proof. I need a permit that includes a sticker for the windshield AND I have to have a security badge which includes attending a two hour indoctrination class.

Uberx's just want to waltz in there and start grabbing business with none of that? Please.

Massport will set their own rules. There most likely will be some need to show proof of insurance with a Massport endorsement. Some permit insignia on the windshield and require uberx's to pull a ticket at the Limo shack to enter the limo pick up areas. Just my guess.

As for where these uberx's will park? Well I can tell you the limo waiting lot is almost always filled to capacity. The cell phone lots are equally jammed and this isn't exactly the biggest airport area wise to add more parking.

Golfermack

I heard on the NECN news tonight, that Massport will begin negotiations with Uber regarding airport pick ups within 90 days.
All I can say is I drive a Livery out in and out of Logan from the Cape. I need a million dollar liability insurance and have to get my insurance guy to list Massport on a binder for proof. I need a permit that includes a sticker for the windshield AND I have to have a security badge which includes attending a two hour indoctrination class.
And why should you need all that when others (not driving for Uber/Lyft) don't when they pick up family and friends from the airport?

As for where these uberx's will park? Well I can tell you the limo waiting lot is almost always filled to capacity. The cell phone lots are equally jammed and this isn't exactly the biggest airport area wise to add more parking.
Because I also drive for Uber in South Florida, I can tell you Uber is allowed to pick up at Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach airports. Uber has a geo fence around the airport that prevents drivers from receiving paxs pings on airport grounds. The drivers need to be outside the geo fence. A queue is in the app that allows a queue of first in, first to get the ping, etc.

Bostonken

MassPort as authority they set their own rules and I believe if they reach agreement with uber they will use lot as a uber X pool as they won't allow drivers circles different terminals. It is safety and traffic issue. And I think they have to register with massPort and pay pickup fee like the $2.25 taxies pay. MassPort is a notorious for generating revenue from airlines and transportation company and if uber X allowed to pick up in airport most likely there would be fee involved. But then again with uber X regular low rate I don't know how beneficial airport pick up can be.

BostonTaxiDriver

I'm wondering if all U S. airports require UberX to have livery or commercial coverage of some kind in order to pick up at their airports.

Golfermack:. Can any UberX. even without livery plates, pick up at those South Florida airports? And must they first go to a limo pool and pay a fee while getting a voucher, then finally proceed to the terminal? Or, once getting a ping, just zoom to the terminal?

I believe that Houston is strict at their airports. I think a driver must purchase a sticker for something like $100-$200 annually in order to qualify to pick up...but I'm unsure if they then also need to purchase a voucher at a limo pool each time as well. I wonder about Chicago's airports, granted access just last fall. Do their UberX drivers need livery coverage?

Bostonken:. isn't it $3.25 or so to pick up via Logan's limo pool?

Golfermack

Golfermack:. Can any UberX. even without livery plates, pick up at those South Florida airports? And must they first go to a limo pool and pay a fee while getting a voucher, then finally proceed to the terminal? Or, once getting a ping, just zoom to the terminal?
No. No commercial plates, commercial insurance, livery plates, voucher or anything needed for UberX to make an airport pickup, or drop off, at the airports I mentioned. You do need to display the Uber dress.

There can be surging around the airports, but there's never any surging in the airports.

BostonTaxiDriver

No. No commercial plates, commercial insurance, livery plates, voucher or anything needed for UberX to make an airport pickup, or drop off, at the airports I mentioned. You do need to display the Uber dress.

There can be surging around the airports, but there's never any surging in the airports.
It's so different in every Uber market, and I guess it will remain that way. I feel pax might not realize this or even care, as long as they think they're getting the cheapest ride, whether taxi, rideshare or some local suburban livery

(When the Uber rates exceed the cab, then some switch back to the cab. I had mentioned that a lady took my cab from Logan to the Waltham Westin because last time, her UberBlack was just too $$$. The cab charges $70-$80 including tip and $10 in all tolls and fees out there (I eat the $2.50 in tolls returning), with normal traffic.)

And yes, it seems some (most/all?) airports do not allow surge.

Wow, MassPort and rideshare still have many details to iron out regarding airport access and procedures.

It seeems that some Uber drivers sense that Logan will be a goldmine; it could help them overall, but at times it's very slow at Logan -- and pax often don't go far. That's why some cabbies avoid it and just cone back to town after paying the $5.25 toll in the tunnels; we charge a $2.75 fee to Logan to defray part of that.

With Uber, maybe they'll travel farther more often to MetroWest and Worcester, as it'll be a decent price vs. an admittedly outrageous cab price. But Uber drivers will complain how slow it is at Logan M-F from 10 am to 2 pm...and most fares from 7 am to 9 am only go to the financial district.

Last edited:

bog_e_bylgarin

Since when we are going to be able to pick up from the airport?