1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Deactivated from Uber, accused of sharing my account

Discussion in 'Advice' started by ElliottM, Jun 9, 2018.

1. ElliottM

ElliottM New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    OK, normal sob story, over 2,000 rides, overall 4.96 rating, nary a complaint. But I was deactivated and am looking for advice. This is what happened:

I gave a personal friend a ride (as a favor, not an Uber ride) while his car was in the shop. As I was getting ready to drop him off I went online with the Uber driver app. I was selected to verify my identity, and my friend, who was not yet out of the car, thought it would be funny to submit his photo, unbeknownst to me. I was immediately deactivated for sharing my account, which is absolutely not the case. I had never even heard of drivers sharing an account. I'm surprised at the way Uber handled the situation without asking for a second photo, something. It was shoot the driver first and no opportunity for explanation.

So far my attempts to discuss this situation with anyone at Uber have fallen on deaf ears. I am only getting canned responses like the following:
    "It appears that we recently reached a decision to end our partnership with you. While we understand this news may be upsetting, please be advised that our decision is final."

Is my situation hopeless? We all know that Uber doesn't care about its drivers and considers us replaceable. I live in a small market, so getting limited to driving only for Lyft is a huge impact on my wallet. I will add, however, that I am one of the best-known drivers in town (big fish in a small pond, LOL), and I know a decent number of riders will move to Lyft when they learn about my deactivation to support me. The nearest Greenlight hub is at least 2.5 hours away, so I don't want to drive a minimum of 5 hours if it will be futile.

Any suggestions?

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That wasn't a good move to let your friend do that. (You went online while he was still in the car and didn't know? I find that unlikely).

Only suggestion is go to the greenhub and beg for forgiveness. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2018
    comradev, Cdub2k and tohunt4me like this.
  3. Sidespin

Sidespin Member

Your friend thought it would be funny to submit his photo to Uber as you? On your phone? With your account? So, where were you? Did you also think it would be funny before you handed him the phone?

I don't know why you would feel the need to "play" with security measures surrounding your job. I wouldn't believe your story if I were Uber ..... Not saying that you are lying... Just saying that the reason given for the prank doesn't move me to feel any empathy.

Good luck.

4. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Dude...

that's a solid hard no...

I agree with uber's actions..

Next time print out a high quality selfie of yourself and keep it under your seat. Then he can take a picture of your selfie when it comes up asking for verification

5. RockinEZ

RockinEZ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I smell fish....

mark_mark, Uboo, Immoralized and 7 others like this.
  6. mr822344

mr822344 Member

I guess Uber thought it would be funny to deactivate you. some things are not worth a laugh, such as how you pay your bills. You still have lyft.

7. upyouruber

upyouruber Well-Known Member

...and it tastes like chicken!:D

8. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    :rolleyes:
    Play stupid games,
    win stupid prizes.
    Congrats! :D

9. ElliottM

ElliottM New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I know it looks unlikely, but it's true. My phone is on a mount on the vent and swivels, and I swiped to go online and continued driving, pulling into the Les Schwab to drop off my friend, not looking at the phone. When my friend turned the phone toward him I thought nothing of it. Two taps on the screen later by my friend - one to start the verification and one to take the photo - and it was done. He feels terrible for what happened. I can only hope there is someone in Uber-land who has some common sense to at least investigate the situation.

tohunt4me likes this.
  10. upyouruber

upyouruber Well-Known Member

Wow, some friendo_O

11. Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    LOL, The they will!:p
    More pings for them now, including the “friend” who set you up and got you deactivated! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
    Immoralized and upyouruber like this.
  12. RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    Stupidity has it's own rewards.

13. LAbDog65

LAbDog65 Well-Known Member

Something is not right. When I get the verify identity message, I have to get my face centered and then hit the button. it is not something someone could do on another's phone, 1,2,3. without the driver knowing.

New2This, fields, mrpjfresh and 3 others like this.
  14. FormerTaxiDriver♧

FormerTaxiDriver♧ Well-Known Member

I think the OP is lying.

Playing around with an app, with RABIES, will get you!

Tysmith95, Uber's Guber and RockinEZ like this.
  15. RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    By now Uber has experienced most of the scams drivers will come up with.

This is an old scam, and is almost always caught after a passenger reports a different driver than the photo on the app.

Not sure why the OP brought this to us, but as you can see no experienced driver is buying the story.

Immoralized, Rakos, Flier5425 and 4 others like this.
  16. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

You didn’t take potential deactivation seriously. You made your bed

Immoralized, VictorD and Uber's Guber like this.
  17. J4kthatsmyDJ

J4kthatsmyDJ New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Kick your friends ass and take his check every week.

18. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    From what I understand, the Greenlight Hub people seem to have more discretion to act on such matters than the email CRSs (I don't know about phone support), and maybe if you're stood in front of them and seem genuine, they'll give you another chance. I definitely can't guarantee it will work, but it seems like your best shot. Whether you want to risk driving 5 hours for nothing, really depends how important driving for Uber is to you. If Lyft is in your area you could sign up for that. If Lyft is busy enough, then you could even try using their destination filter to get some rides toward the Uber Greenlight Hub, and get some of those miles covered.

comradev, negeorgia, woodywho and 3 others like this.
  19. Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    The folks at the hub do have more discretion & power when it comes to clearing up issues, but I never heard of anybody getting re-activated after receiving the “our decision is final” letter. Could happen I suppose, but the issue regarding “shared accounts” is an issue that Uber takes seriously for a myriad of reasons, and frankly, his story doesn’t sound genuine.

Flier5425 likes this.
  20. wk1102

wk1102 Well-Known Member

I'd come up with something a little more believable than he did it unbeknownst to you. Maybe you were showing him the feature or something and he did it, I don't know. While possible, I guess, it just sounds so unlikely.

How many times did he do it, from my understanding it takes 4 or 5 failed attempts