Deactivated and terrified

lilird

My husband went to pick up a passenger yesterday, and when he got there, the passenger had a dog. He informed him that he doesn't take dogs. The passenger then said it was a service dog. The dog was an unmarked poodle and the passenger was not disabled. He asked him where the service vest was and the passenger said he forgot it in the house. My husband said he could not take the dog and left. The passenger complained and this morning Uber sent him an email that he was permanently deactivated! We depend on this to pay the bills! What can we do? Any advice appreciated. My husband has been driving for years and has a near 5 star rating and has taken dozens of service dogs before. My husband is actually disabled and this is the only kind of work he can do (incomplete paraplegic) - we are devasted and terrified.

losiglow

He violated the rule of never refuse any dog or any other animal or you get deactivated. Try Lyft and good luck!
Unfortunately this is true. Any service animal complaint and you're deactivated. Pretty much "no questions asked" policy.
Post automatically merged:

You could try reaching out to Uber and giving them the story. But most drivers haven't had any luck.

waldowainthrop

This is a huge problem for drivers as they can’t tell what is a pet, emotional support animal, or ADA-protected service animal. All the weight is shifted onto the driver by the company and by the passenger. Drivers are in a tough position because denying a legitimate service animal is against the ADA regulations, and with Uber, is grounds for immediate and usually permanent deactivation, without any proof necessary. Passengers will, of course, occasionally claim that non-service animals are service animals, which leads to false deactivations.

The dog was an unmarked poodle and the passenger was not disabled.
But I want to caution anyone with judging whether or not someone else is “disabled”. You often won’t know this for sure and can’t tell what kind of disability someone does or does not have. It is folly to even guess at it, under most circumstances. Do not guess.

Last edited:

IR12

My husband went to pick up a passenger yesterday, and when he got there, the passenger had a dog. He informed him that he doesn't take dogs. The passenger then said it was a service dog. The dog was an unmarked poodle and the passenger was not disabled. He asked him where the service vest was and the passenger said he forgot it in the house. My husband said he could not take the dog and left. The passenger complained and this morning Uber sent him an email that he was permanently deactivated! We depend on this to pay the bills! What can we do? Any advice appreciated. My husband has been driving for years and has a near 5 star rating and has taken dozens of service dogs before. My husband is actually disabled and this is the only kind of work he can do (incomplete paraplegic) - we are devasted and terrified.
Calling bullshit on this post.
How can a driver drive “for years” according to you and not know the fastest way to get deactivated?

Giantsfan1503

Step 1 is deny it ever happened. Contact Uber and say you didn't even see a dog. Say the passenger was drunk and holding a gun and you got scared. You have to be creative if you want to get reactivated. Hell even press charges on the @@@@@@@ and say you felt threatened. They'll reactivate you quick

waldowainthrop

I was looking for help but I guess this was a mistake.
Another issue (which is not your fault at all) is that there is only so much advice that people can give on this particular topic. People do post service animal-related deactivation stories here from time to time. I am not sure if they are ever resolved positively, but maybe there are rare exceptions. Contacting the company in a tactful way and making an outright documented denial is one of the only possible methods, but it’s harder when Greenlight Hubs are not open to physically talk to someone in person.

Good luck, either way. 🤷🏼‍♂️

IR12

Why would I post "bullshit" as you call it? He made a mistake and is paying for it. If you nothing productive to say, say nothing at all. Or at least make nasty comments without anonymity!
Here’s your problem......depending on idiots to be 100% of your income, signing up for but violating the agreement which ISN’T a “mistake”.

Yes, pax lie but as a driver that’s driven “for years” your husband should know that too.

You can’t control what people think on a PUBLIC FORUM lady..

Last edited:

[email protected]

He signed up for Lyft and there a wait list. He acknowledges he should have not turned him away although it was a clear he was lying. But the last thing he needs right now is to get beat up. He is already doing enough of it to himself.
It's obvious the pax was lying, since someone with a real service dog would have said "my service dog does not need a vest" they wouldn't have said "I forgot it inside". But, it really doesn't matter if it was or wasn't. He can try calling Uber, but I doubt he'll get very far with "support" and the Greenlight Hubs are closed.

Can he sign up for UberEATS? I'm not sure if being deactivated from rideshare for that reason deactivates you from UberEATS as well. Or sign up for one of the other for delivery services. You said he's an incomplete paraplegic. That may make it difficult to do deliveries (I'm not sure what his limitations are exactly), but they may allow an accommodation for you to assist (while he drives).

You didn't mention if you work. Can YOU sign up to drive Uber, if you aren't already/there isn't a waitlist? It would still take time for background checks, etc.