DC Taxi Drivers Getting More and More Aggressive

Lyft-O-Maniac

So I'm on 14th last night with 2 dudes in my backseat.. Was trying to turn right when I noticed a Taxi driver sitting at the right curb about 2 car lengths before the intersection. It appears he's just sitting there in the right turn only arrow lane. . No flashers on. So I get in the left lane to turn right in front of him.. As I'm sitting there with my blinker on because it's a no turn on red, he motions for me to roll my window down. I do, and he then proceeds to cuss me out, as he's pointing to my phone that shows Uber nav running.. As he was spewing Un-intelligible nonsense I just wave at him while I roll the window up. Then when the light turns I go to make the right and he tries to slam his taxi into the side of my SUV. He then proceeds to go straight from the right turn only lane..

This is why I don't display any rideshare window dressing.. This is just one bad encounter with them.

yankdog

So I'm on 14th last night with 2 dudes in my backseat.. Was trying to turn right when I noticed a Taxi driver sitting at the right curb about 2 car lengths before the intersection. It appears he's just sitting there in the right turn only arrow lane. . No flashers on. So I get in the left lane to turn right in front of him.. As I'm sitting there with my blinker on because it's a no turn on red, he motions for me to roll my window down. I do, and he then proceeds to cuss me out, as he's pointing to my phone that shows Uber nav running.. As he was spewing Un-intelligible nonsense I just wave at him while I roll the window up. Then when the light turns I go to make the right and he tries to slam his taxi into the side of my SUV. He then proceeds to go straight from the right turn only lane..

This is why I don't display any rideshare window dressing.. This is just one bad encounter with them.
Not defending cabbies as it relates to your story but don't you get equally stupid behavior from other rideshare drivers? Or just cabbies? By the way I have not noticed any greater aggressiveness among cabbies it's the same. But the defree of utter incompetent, dangerous, ignorant, and goddamn stupid behavior among Uber and Lyft drivers I find is spiralling and frankly embarrassing. But I do make tips by ripping said drivers a new @@@@@@@ when paxbrung it up to me. I agree with them. Learn and follow the goddamn lawsor at least the important ones

Another Uber Driver

When Congress goes out, it always was slower for the cab business. Since the arrival of UberX, it has become even slower. When Congress goes out, I drive the cab one day per week. I drive the UberX car the other days. When Congress is here, I drive the cab four or five days per week.

UberX has completely ruined weekend hacking, except at night, when there are street events or when the schools are doing move in.

My quarrel is less with the drivers and more with the politicians for taking the TNCs' money and the TNCs for offering it. I view the driver as someone who is simply taking advantage of an "opportunity" offered to him, although how much of an "opportunity" it might be is debatable.

In France, Spain and Italy, the cab drivers yanked Uber Pop (the European then-version of UberX) drivers out of their cars, turned over the cars and torched them. Back when the cab drivers were caterwauling about Uber, I told them that this was the only way that they would stop it. I added that some of them had better be prepared to go to jail, lose their hack licence, lose their property or their freedom. They would have to make sacrifices for the rest of the drivers. Those who got lengthy prison sentences would soon be forgotten by the majority of the remaining drivers and be left to rot in the hoosegow alone. Everyone waited for the next guy to do something. Of course, no one managed to figure out who this "Next Guy" was. The predictable results occurred.

don't you get equally stupid behavior from other rideshare drivers? Or just cabbies?
The TNC drivers do some really stupid things out there. The Uber SUV drivers are the absolute worst. Those drivers, though, act out of stupidity, carelessness, arrogance, urgency or a desire to help a lawyer get rich. The cab drivers that Original Poster describes are acting out of hostility.

While there was and is much that is wrong with the presence of the TNCs, the cab drivers had their part to play in it. Had they treated the public better, not only would there be no TNCs, but, there would not even be meters in D.C. cabs. The cab business brought more than a few of its problems on itself. We can start with balking at the credit cards; a problem that persists to this day.

Lyft-O-Maniac

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not defending cabbies as it relates to your story but don't you get equally stupid behavior from other rideshare drivers? Or just cabbies? By the way I have not noticed any greater aggressiveness among cabbies it's the same. But the defree of utter incompetent, dangerous, ignorant, and goddamn stupid behavior among Uber and Lyft drivers I find is spiralling and frankly embarrassing. But I do make tips by ripping said drivers a new @@@@@@@ when paxbrung it up to me. I agree with them. Learn and follow the goddamn lawsor at least the important ones
Yes, it's true about the ride share drivers.. Awful and I often think if it continues its going to hurt all of us. But would you just sit behind him when clearly he's just sitting there. No cars in the 2 car lengths in front of him. Pax get their panties in a bunch when you are not paying attention and just sit there behind a parked car and keep them waiting. And it just causes more traffic for everyone, including the other rideshare drivers. The way it's going, especially at the airports, we are going to @@@ ourselves. It's best to keep moving especially in the case where anyone is sitting still in a right turn only lane.
Post automatically merged:

When Congress goes out, it always was slower for the cab business. Since the arrival of UberX, it has become even slower. When Congress goes out, I drive the cab one day per week. I drive the UberX car the other days. When Congress is here, I drive the cab four or five days per week.

UberX has completely ruined weekend hacking, except at night, when there are street events or when the schools are doing move in.

My quarrel is less with the drivers and more with the politicians for taking the TNCs' money and the TNCs for offering it. I view the driver as someone who is simply taking advantage of an "opportunity" offered to him, although how much of an "opportunity" it might be is debatable.

In France, Spain and Italy, the cab drivers yanked Uber Pop (the European then-version of UberX) drivers out of their cars, turned over the cars and torched them. Back when the cab drivers were caterwauling about Uber, I told them that this was the only way that they would stop it. I added that some of them had better be prepared to go to jail, lose their hack licence, lose their property or their freedom. They would have to make sacrifices for the rest of the drivers. Those who got lengthy prison sentences would soon be forgotten by the majority of the remaining drivers and be left to rot in the hoosegow alone. Everyone waited for the next guy to do something. Of course, no one managed to figure out who this "Next Guy" was. The predictable results occurred.

The TNC drivers do some really stupid things out there. The Uber SUV drivers are the absolute worst. Those drivers, though, act out of stupidity, carelessness, arrogance, urgency or a desire to help a lawyer get rich. The cab drivers that Original Poster describes are acting out of hostility.

While there was and is much that is wrong with the presence of the TNCs, the cab drivers had their part to play in it. Had they treated the public better, not only would there be no TNCs, but, there would not even be meters in D.C. cabs. The cab business brought more than a few of its problems on itself. We can start with balking at the credit cards; a problem that persists to this day.

Uber tried to work with the cab business by renting out their empty seats in the original Uber business model, the cab business wanted no parts of it. If you don't adapt, you get eaten.

yankdog

Yes, it's true about the ride share drivers.. Awful and I often think if it continues its going to hurt all of us. But would you just sit behind him when clearly he's just sitting there. No cars in the 2 car lengths in front of him. Pax get their panties in a bunch when you are not paying attention and just sit there behind a parked car and keep them waiting. And it just causes more traffic for everyone, including the other rideshare drivers. The way it's going, especially at the airports, we are going to @@@ ourselves. It's best to keep moving especially in the case where anyone is sitting still in a right turn only lane.
I just look upon @@@@@@@ drivers as part of the business. When i have a pax in the car my only thought is how do I extract a tip from them. By connecting with a conversation I am more successful. Blasting @@@@@@@ drivers is one way to do it that works for me. So sure I get mad but my mind quickly goes to "How can I use it"
Post automatically merged:

The TNC drivers do some really stupid things out there.
Precisely. In all the easy slamming cabbie low hanging fruit you read on these boards, often somewhat deserved, I just thought it should be pointed out how much of a menace on the road TNC drivers are.

Another Uber Driver

Uber tried to work with the cab business by renting out their empty seats in the original Uber business model.
As I understand it, Uber's original business model was renting out the limousines between bookings. Uber was to charge the customer a fee, take fifteen or twenty per-cent of it and remit the rest to the contractor. Some of those in the limousine business bit; some did not.

When Uber launched here, it was Black, only, thus, it was working with the limousine drivers, only. Some of the limousine drivers got the idea to get their own black car type vehicle and run Uber requests, only. Thus was born the "dedicated Uber driver" (see testimony before the D.C. City Council on this one). In this area, it was fairly easy to become a "dedicated Uber driver". If you could get financing for a suitable vehicle (Town Car, Navigator, Cadillac), you could register it in Virginia. Virginia required no special licence to drive a limousine and it issued HA_ plates to anyone who was willing to pay the fee and who could show that he had the required insurance. Maryland and D.C. both require a special licence to drive a limousine and the requirements for a BA or H plate, respectively, are more stringent.

The next Uber that showed up here was Uber Taxi. It became popular overnight, as the customer no longer had to pay limousine rates if he wanted to pay for a ride with something other than cash. Uber Taxi launched here in February, 2013. The D.C. government did not mandate credit card acceptance in cabs until October of that year.

There is only one solution for aggressive driver's, driving more aggressive. Show then who the boss is.

warrior lady

It’s also the out- of- town tourists visiting for the weekend.. definitely clueless how to drive in the city. I was sitting at light At Connecticut and M St.. getting ready to drop off at the abomination that is DuPont late night Saturday night. Pickup truck with Fla. plates goes straight through the yellow but then realizes the truck is blocking the intersection.
So he decides to BACK UP AND BACKS OVER THE CROSSWALK ALMOST HITTING SOME PEDESTRIANS!!
I can think of only a few instances where it’s ever ok to back-up while actively driving.
Crazy huh!

Lyft-O-Maniac

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I understand it, Uber's original business model was renting out the limousines between bookings. Uber was to charge the customer a fee, take fifteen or twenty per-cent of it and remit the rest to the contractor. Some of those in the limousine business bit; some did not.

When Uber launched here, it was Black, only, thus, it was working with the limousine drivers, only. Some of the limousine drivers got the idea to get their own black car type vehicle and run Uber requests, only. Thus was born the "dedicated Uber driver" (see testimony before the D.C. City Council on this one). In this area, it was fairly easy to become a "dedicated Uber driver". If you could get financing for a suitable vehicle (Town Car, Navigator, Cadillac), you could register it in Virginia. Virginia required no special licence to drive a limousine and it issued HA_ plates to anyone who was willing to pay the fee and who could show that he had the required insurance. Maryland and D.C. both require a special licence to drive a limousine and the requirements for a BA or H plate, respectively, are more stringent.

The next Uber that showed up here was Uber Taxi. It became popular overnight, as the customer no longer had to pay limousine rates if he wanted to pay for a ride with something other than cash. Uber Taxi launched here in February, 2013. The D.C. government did not mandate credit card acceptance in cabs until October of that year.
Thanks for the good information.. Interesting..

UberPotomac

Make sure to post the 500 fine ticket the Blue Cops will give you soon .

Damn Boy

Forgive my ignorance, When exactly this Congress comes in?

Tars Tarkas

Sounds like the usual feces I'd get from anyone in myriad situations. In this case, a cab driver.

Nuke

That’s why you never put that pos pink tutu or goober stickers, better drive in stealth mode now that you don’t need uglyass yellow stickers from VA dmv. As to cabbies, they never gave me a problem since I have always been in stealth mode, my phone is never on the dash or windshield, it is not even visible to the pax, it is strategically located near my cupholder directed at me, pax can’t see my route, they don’t need to. But yeah, it has been a slow weekend and I saw 2 angry cabs on 14th on Saturday trying to race and almost crash into each other over a passenger. Wait till summer when it gets real slow, then you really gotta get into cia operative mode.

Traveldude189

Honestly, ive never cared for and never taken a taxi. The real problem with cabs besides their darting everywhere driving slower than the speed limit and generally hogging the road is that they just cant respond to picking up passengers on small side streets or out in the suburbs nearly as fast. The whole reason fuber and gryft exist is because people want everything at a touch of a button, and frankly i dont blame them. Ive lived in hagerstown my entire life and i knew people that depended upon the cabs here to get to work, they schedule it and it wouldnt show up til an hour or two later than scheduled. Function correctly or dont function at all and i include these horrible TNC drivers that i see going the wrong way on a one way street, backing up because they missed a turn. Do i make rights on no turn on red intersections when its safe, sure i do but dc has a problem with putting signs everywhere for no reason.

Another Uber Driver

it has been a slow weekend and I saw 2 angry cabs on 14th on Saturday trying to race and almost crash into each other over a passenger. Wait till summer when it gets real slow, then you really gotta get into cia operative mode.
This is why the cab will be at home, both this and last week, except for maybe Wednesday or Thursday, and I will be driving UberX and Lyft the other days. When Congress goes on Summer Recess, the Consecutive Trip/Streak Bonuses go out the window and so do Quests. Gryft might keep its "guarantees", but, if you can not run one-hundred-eighty five dollars on twenty five trips, either you are having a run of minimums or thar's sump'tihin' you ain't doin' right. I work mostly Downtown D.C.and even I do not get all minimums. My cab will be at home most days when Congress goes out for the Summer, as well.

The real problem with cabs Uber and Lyft drivers, ESPECIALLY Uber SUV drivers besides their darting everywhere driving slower than the speed limit and generally hogging the road

FIFY

cabs....... they just cant respond to picking up passengers on small side streets or out in the suburbs nearly as fast.
Alexandria has a taxicab per person ratio of 1:200 (approximately). That is one of the highest in the country. The ratio of Uber drivers to population must be about 1:10. I guess that TNCs can respond to residential neighbourhoods better. What is funny is that like the cab drivers, most TNC drivers hang out in downtowns, club areas, hotel areas and airports.

Before the TNCs, I worked mostly residential areas in the cab. The TNCs have totally ruined residential hacking. Despite that, when I do work residential areas in the Uber/Lyft car, the customers tell me that they wait longer than when they are in a downtown, a club area, hotel area. Part of that is the lower concentration of drivers. Part of it is that your average GPS hugging TNC driver does not know where he is going, thus he takes longer to cover the ping.

Traveldude189

Ill ignore the fify, because you cant identify a private non tnc from a tnc car anymore (the yellow stickers gave it away)

Ive never understood the whole clinging to downtown and clubs and bars. Literally your chance of getting drunk riders goes up by 1000% on those trips