• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

DashCam VIOFO A129 Duo Full HD 1080P with Sony Sensor Front and Rear Night Vision 2.0" Parking Mode

UberLuxbod

Did you know that at inspection they put the non smoking signs on the windows now. If you get stopped and don't have the signs, they will give you a warning.
They never put stickers on mine 2 months ago.

Unlike what the rumour mill was suggesting they never had an issue with my aftermarket privacy glass, which is the darkest the tint bloke uses.

As I said previously I have never had No Smoking signs in the rear.

London-born-and-bred

It's a good price
But not a good brand
Pound for pound the Viofo A129duo is probably the best dashcam on the market at the moment, the picture quality is stunning and what's more you can mount the rear camera internally at the front of the car to record the interior.
It has the latest Sony Starvis sensor meaning it doesn't need any internal lights to give a crystal clear picture of a car interior at night.
Couple that with the storage available, it takes a 256MB card, and you have the best value, high storage, low light capable camera on the market.

soTuga

They never put stickers on mine 2 months ago.

Unlike what the rumour mill was suggesting they never had an issue with my aftermarket privacy glass, which is the darkest the tint bloke uses.

As I said previously I have never had No Smoking signs in the rear.
They've put on mine for the past two years and most cars have the same stickers too. The privacy glass gets pulled too, maybe it depends on where you go.

UberLuxbod

They've put on mine for the past two years and most cars have the same stickers too. The privacy glass gets pulled too, maybe it depends on where you go.
The only change that I, and colleagues that also have privacy glass, noticed this year was having to sign a disclaimer in case the tint was damaged.

The staff member wasn’t going to ask me to sign one till I asked about it (Prius driver in front of me was asked to sign it).

I don’t know anybody that had any issues with privacy glass so can only assume the people that have apparently been asked to remove it had the front windows illegally tinted.

Though the only source about this issue was a Taxi Driver on Twitter so I would personally wait till I see something from TFL.

When I had my Inspection done in October I think every PHV had privacy glass.

None of those in front failed.

I have been to 3 different places, though recently only Heston and Enfield.

The two times I had my Taxi played they were much stricter and seemed to check the vehicles to a higher standard.

For example the Cab has plate left when purchased, when I did the next plate it failed because somebody had removed the heat shield that was fitted as a recall due to the fires, right at the back of the engine I think it covered the EGR.

I had the paperwork for the recall, which you also needed.

I had to get the part fitted again by Just Taxis.

My Taxi also had a full livery, one of the liveries was the Galaxy Note one that was the first all over livery in London, which also covered the rear windows using a perforated film, but you would struggle to see through it, just like privacy glass.

Cabbie2B

The only change that I, and colleagues that also have privacy glass, noticed this year was having to sign a disclaimer in case the tint was damaged.

The staff member wasn’t going to ask me to sign one till I asked about it (Prius driver in front of me was asked to sign it).

I don’t know anybody that had any issues with privacy glass so can only assume the people that have apparently been asked to remove it had the front windows illegally tinted.

Though the only source about this issue was a Taxi Driver on Twitter so I would personally wait till I see something from TFL.

When I had my Inspection done in October I think every PHV had privacy glass.

None of those in front failed.

I have been to 3 different places, though recently only Heston and Enfield.

The two times I had my Taxi played they were much stricter and seemed to check the vehicles to a higher standard.

For example the Cab has plate left when purchased, when I did the next plate it failed because somebody had removed the heat shield that was fitted as a recall due to the fires, right at the back of the engine I think it covered the EGR.

I had the paperwork for the recall, which you also needed.

I had to get the part fitted again by Just Taxis.

My Taxi also had a full livery, one of the liveries was the Galaxy Note one that was the first all over livery in London, which also covered the rear windows using a perforated film, but you would struggle to see through it, just like privacy glass.
I’ve asked them in Nov when I had renewal, tint is not the issue.
Only damage waiver so you can’t take action against NSL in case of damage.

Fostel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a good price
But not a good brand
You couldn't be more wrong this time Babs
It is on the list of best dashcams of 2019.
Viofo as a company has a good reliability track record and constantly improving their firmware.

Fresh review
https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-duo/

The VIOFO A129 Duo is one of the best dual cameras available given its video quality for both front and rear due to the Sony STARVIS IMX291 sensors used for both cameras. The other aspects of the camera are excellent as well including the discreet wedge shaped form factor, excellent build quality and good reliability.
Known problems
Currently, there doesn’t appear to be any widespread / systemic problems with the A129 Duo.

Last edited:

Fostel

It should be better solution if Viofo add IR lights to its cabin cam!
VIOFO A129 DUO is not intended for internal use. This is a front/rear camera.
IR reflects of glass so useless here.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a129-modified-firmware-mods-archive.35826/page-14#post-445978

it reflects off the glass, you can see that in the video
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a129-modified-firmware-mods-archive.35826/page-22#post-448085

It should be better solution if Viofo add IR lights to its cabin cam!
Here you go :biggrin:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a129-duo-new-cameras-including-infrared-for-uber-lyft-taxi.37628/

Fostel

Last edited: