• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Dashcam usage / lawfulness

SuperMike

Hi folks. I had a few riders this week comment if I was recording them (no). So I ask if anyone in AB has a dashcam (single or dual) with signs or not (if required or not). Or if some one has a link to the laws regarding this?

If no one knows I will goto my local cop shop and ask, then post what I find out.

ayanle

I have dashcam all the time It is single faced on the Road recording audio inside and vedeo outside what is going on my car without sign. When I searched I couldn't find any regulation about that just article said If you don't have sign you can't not sue any one an less you tell them. Also asked Uber they said it is ok If you don't face your dashcam inside . It is good Idea to know about ,so when you find any information let us know.

Pete06

Can't see it being a big deal as wherever you go there are security cameras and there aren't signs in your face saying beware.

Amun

Canada is a single party consent country; therefore, you can record any conversation or interaction you have with another person for your own records as long as you are involved. You can't record a conversation between two other people without consent from one of them. So in the case of Uber if you say hello when they get into your car then you are involved in all conversation that transpires in your car. Therefore; you can record the inside of your car legally with a dashcam.

10-23

Hi folks. I had a few riders this week comment if I was recording them (no). So I ask if anyone in AB has a dashcam (single or dual) with signs or not (if required or not). Or if some one has a link to the laws regarding this?

If no one knows I will goto my local cop shop and ask, then post what I find out.

SECTION 183-186 Canada Crim Code talks about private communication, wire taps etc...One may be safe between the driver and his/her passenger, but if your passenger has a two way conversation on their own phone and your dash cam picks it up...might be tapping their phone. Video is one thing. Audio is to be collected/stored legally under penalty of law. Cover Your Own Ass (CYOA)...post a sign in/on your auto.

KJM74

I use dual camera with audio recording on but the second they talk to a third party, I mute the mic.

ladydriven

The taxi companies in Edmonton all use dual cameras in their cars with some companies they are mandatory. They just prevent a lot of problems and help the driver in cases of an accident or customer dispute.

trickynikki

The taxi companies in Edmonton all use dual cameras in their cars with some companies they are mandatory. They just prevent a lot of problems and help the driver in cases of an accident or customer dispute.
4 years ago, one one those uneducated, smelly ripoff cab drivers was accused of sexual assault. It s was smart of him to have a dashcam. Your riders lie. You can record what you want but you cannot publish without consent.

Homeyg

4 years ago, one one those uneducated, smelly ripoff cab drivers was accused of sexual assault. It s was smart of him to have a dashcam. Your riders lie. You can record what you want but you cannot publish without consent.
3 months ago - trickynikki you made up some blatant lies on this forum and then slinked off in shame. Take your BS elsewhere bro.

trickynikki

Yes,3 months ago I said that Uber sent out messages to Uber drivers in Calgary to head up to Edmontonto work Halloween. A buddy of mine,who worked a couple of days for Uber before Uber was shut down for breaking the laws and with that lying to drivers responded to the alert. Hhe sent a message asking what was needed to register as a driver for Edmonton. Uber responding by saying that he was alreading approved as he has the app.
My friend did not have the class 4 and Uber knew that.
Uber did not care about the license requirements in the first place. Uber is full of lies,and in your words BS.
As ladydriven so eloquentlypoited out, this behaviour of Uber is only tto be expected. You might not think so, but every Uber driver has most likely been lied to. They lied to me, and also to others on this forum.

In regardsto the dashcam, and when a taxi driver in Edmontonwas falsely accused of sexual assault, are you saying that was BS?

trickynikki

3 months ago - trickynikki you made up some blatant lies on this forum and then slinked off in shame. Take your BS elsewhere bro.
Well, bro. Hope you are chilling on your Uber juice. It is a company of lies. I post what I hear and think. You might be a person that thinks it is cool to lie and put riders and passengers at risk. Somebof us have been around long enough to get to know Uber. Drivers know this.

Here is a link.

Homeyg

Well, bro. Hope you are chilling on your Uber juice. It is a company of lies. I post what I hear and think. You might be a person that thinks it is cool to lie and put riders and passengers at risk. Somebof us have been around long enough to get to know Uber. Drivers know this.

Here is a link.

Show the screenshot, and I'll send you $100 EMT.

Greybull

I have a dashcam pointing forward so your saying i should have a sign in car saying there is a camera in car

I have been asked about but say its facing forward,never even thought about audio

I have been lied to i dont know how many times but have come to expect it

What i dont get is how you can get on with Uber without proper license

Do they hire anyone that goes in?

BillBallCanada

I started using a dash-cam in the spring of this year. Thankfully haven't had any need to use the footage, but my personal opinion is that most people are going to feel a little uncomfortable with a camera in such close proximity to them, and of course a forward facing dash-cam still captures audio. I got one for less than $80 CDN off Amazon.ca, full HD and I have piece of mind for winter driving.

Billyboi

I started using a dash-cam in the spring of this year. Thankfully haven't had any need to use the footage, but my personal opinion is that most people are going to feel a little uncomfortable with a camera in such close proximity to them, and of course a forward facing dash-cam still captures audio. I got one for less than $80 CDN off Amazon.ca, full HD and I have piece of mind for winter driving.
Don't worry about it, I have been using a dual camera for three years now, 7000 trips and only been asked about it once. The rider was just curious anyway. Protect yourself first, worry about the legalities later. Like another poster said there are cameras everywhere, all taxis and buses have them, anywhere you go in public you are on camera. Your car is your private space and it makes sense to record what is going on both outside and inside your vehicle.
Read on other forums and you tube of the antics that some riders pull on their drivers so just protect yourself.