• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Dashcam complaint. To reply or not to reply?

LyftUberFuwabolewa

So yesterday I have a rider who asked me about my dash cam. He said "you have a camera?" with a tone like he thought he was catching me doing something or I would be ashamed or apologetic. With pride and confidence I said "yes sir, two of them". This rider was very astute for noticing the cameras. They're right out in the open, one mounted on the front windshield and another clipped onto the rearview mirror. They both have obvious flashing record lights on them. Oh, and I also have six stickers on my vehicle announcing the cameras presence. Four on the outside of the vehicle and two on the inside. Perhaps he was merely mildly observant.

Fast forward to today. This comes into my inbox:

"Follow-Up from Lyft Safety

Hi J. XXXXXXX

I am hoping to follow up with you regarding a report we received which alleged that you had a dash cam in your vehicle.

As a reminder, you are legally obligated to obey all regulations regarding video and voice recordings. We strongly encourage drivers to follow all applicable laws to ensure the safety and comfort of your passengers. If you choose to install any cameras in your vehicle, it is your responsibility to be in compliance with the law at all times.

Safety is our top priority here, and we take these matters very seriously. Any reports which allege violations of such laws may lead to the immediate deactivation of your account on the Lyft platform.

Best,

XXXXXX

Lyft Support"

I wrote a reply stating that although I operate in a state which only requires single party consent meaning that since I am the one who installed the cameras and am aware of their presence I neither have to inform nor ask consent from anyone entering my vehicle in order to record them legally. I also attached pictures of my stickers on the inside and outside of the vehicle informing riders of the camera's presence.

However, before I sent the message I started thinking. The message from Lyft does not require a response. In a court of law a lawyer will advise you to say the least possible in order to answer a question. Don't offer or volunteer information. This is often good advice outside of the quart room as well.

Since lift is not requiring a response as far as they are concerned the matter is handled. They are merely advising me to be sure I am complying with the law, which I am.

So I'm curious what other folks would do in a situation like this. I could provide them my response including the photos which shows that I am operating both legally and ethically ethically. However this would merely keep the topic alive and provide opportunity for further scrutiny. Given that I've got nothing to gain at this point should I just let sleeping dogs lie?

p.s.

I have already decided what I will do should I have a rider who objects to the cameras presence.I will cancel or end the ride and suggest they find a different driver.

JasonLV23

So yesterday I have a rider who asked me about my dash cam. He said "you have a camera?" with a tone like he thought he was catching me doing something or I would be ashamed or apologetic. With pride and confidence I said "yes sir, two of them". This rider was very astute for noticing the cameras. They're right out in the open, one mounted on the front windshield and another clipped onto the rearview mirror. They both have obvious flashing record lights on them. Oh, and I also have six stickers on my vehicle announcing the cameras presence. Four on the outside of the vehicle and two on the inside. Perhaps he was merely mildly observant.

Hi J. XXXXXXX

I am hoping to follow up with you regarding a report we received which alleged that you had a dash cam in your vehicle.

As a reminder, you are legally obligated to obey all regulations regarding video and voice recordings. We strongly encourage drivers to follow all applicable laws to ensure the safety and comfort of your passengers. If you choose to install any cameras in your vehicle, it is your responsibility to be in compliance with the law at all times.

Safety is our top priority here, and we take these matters very seriously. Any reports which allege violations of such laws may lead to the immediate deactivation of your account on the Lyft platform.

Best,

XXXXXX

Lyft Support"

I wrote a reply stating that although I operate in a state which only requires single party consent meaning that since I am the one who installed the cameras and am aware of their presence I neither have to inform nor ask consent from anyone entering my vehicle in order to record them legally. I also attached pictures of my stickers on the inside and outside of the vehicle informing riders of the camera's presence.

However, before I sent the message I started thinking. The message from Lyft does not require a response. In a court of law a lawyer will advise you to say the least possible in order to answer a question. Don't offer or volunteer information. This is often good advice outside of the quart room as well.

Since lift is not requiring a response as far as they are concerned the matter is handled. They are merely advising me to be sure I am complying with the law, which I am.

So I'm curious what other folks would do in a situation like this. I could provide them my response including the photos which shows that I am operating both legally and ethically ethically. However this would merely keep the topic alive and provide opportunity for further scrutiny. Given that I've got nothing to gain at this point should I just let sleeping dogs lie?

p.s.

I have already decided what I will do should I have a rider who objects to the cameras presence.I will cancel or end the ride and suggest they find a different driver.
Don't waste your time or effort writing such a detailed response. It's only going to a bunch of incompetent morons in the Philippines getting used even more so and under paid as we are.

Go the to Lyft Hub IF and only IF it results in deactivation. Even if it came to that I would consider that a blessing in disguise... move on to bigger and better things for you and your future in that case.
Post automatically merged:

Hi J. XXXXXXX

Best,

XXXXXX

Lyft Support"

p.s.

Also... your PS... that would also work because if you complete the ride after they are pissed off they will retaliate and rate you a 1 star. Don't give these pieces of crap a chance to do such!

UberBastid

When I was driving, I did not have a cam. But, I had a sign hanging from the mirror that said that I did. If asked, I'd point to the mirror which had a green light in the lower corner and a small hole in the center, and I'd tell them that that was the cam. "And it beams to the cloud, so there's no internal chip to be messed with ..."

I had a young buck get in once, a little bit ganged up (a wanna be). He looks at the sign and says, "You got a cam in here?" Yep, says I, and point to the mirror. "You gotta have a sign up if you have a cam, right?" I replied that's the law. "And, if I don't want to be recorded, you have to turn it off?" Nope, says I, 'All I have to do is pull over and let you out - do you want out?'

He says, "On the freeway?" I told him that he's an adult and I'd let him out wherever he wants out, and repeated my offer. He said that he didn't want out.
It was a quiet ride from then on.

RideshareUSA

Hi J. XXXXXXX

Best,

XXXXXX

Lyft Support"

p.s.

Stop working the drunk hours and 99.9% of these issues, disappear.

PioneerXi

Reread the last paragraph from Lyft re “any reports”.

Send an email back to them asking if there was a complaint lodged, and the exact details of the complaint. Ask them for the allegations to warrant the email.

I’m all for drawing these companies out, have them “show their hand” before entering into any correspondence.

I operate for them to put up or shut up.

RideshareUSA

Hi J. XXXXXXX

Best,

XXXXXX

Lyft Support"

p.s.

Your response:
"I always operate in compliance with all applicable laws when using the Lyft driver platform. Future complaints of this nature can be disregarded by Lyft. Thank you "

LyftUberFuwabolewa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
tell the pax that the camera is on a loop of 5 minutes, when they get out the camera will be recording over the last 5 minutes if the trip goes well, if there is an accident the camera stops recording.
Though I have said that in the past as a way to defuse the situation, I have no problem telling them the truth which is it's really for my protection because sometimes riders make false claims.

RabbleRouser

Hi J. XXXXXXX

Best,

XXXXXX

Lyft Support"

p.s.

The message from Lyft does not require a response”

I concur with ur assessment ✅

👉and APPLAUD YOU for NOT having the TYPICAL ⚠ DRIVER
☠ Knee Jerk 👊reaction:

A. taking emotional exception to the inquiry
B. escalating the issue and treating as a personal affront
C. with a neonatal scathing response
D. ladened with foul language
accusations and paranoia

RideshareUSA

The message from Lyft does not require a response”

I concur with ur assessment ✅

👉and APPLAUD YOU for NOT having the TYPICAL ⚠ DRIVER
☠ Knee Jerk 👊reaction:

A. taking emotional exception to the inquiry
B. escalating the issue and treating as a personal affront
C. with a neonatal scathing response
D. ladened with foul language
accusations and paranoia
WTF?

TemptingFate

Dear Lyft Safety Team:
My dashcam footage is streamed in real time to the VoyeurVision.com website so that subscriber fees can supplement the meager payments received from Lyft riders. For a substantial tip, I will disconnect the feed.

I also use the video surveillance of my vehicle to collect incriminating evidence against riders. If a rider wishes to prevent their employer or spouse from receiving the video of their ride, I accept cash or bitcoin.

For any further questions, please contact my attorney, Saul Goodman.

The Gift of Fish

Safety is our top priority here, and we take these matters very seriously.
Lol, Lyft alleges that every pax complaint is a safety issue, no matter what the complaint is. It's a knee-jerk reaction. They once claimed to me that taking service animals was a safety issue whereas, in reality, it is a matter regarding equality of access rights for the disabled. Anyway, obviously dashcams are related to safety, but not they're not a safety issue - their purpose is to alleviate the safety issue for drivers.

But don't worry about the email. It's just Lyft sending out nonsense to be able to check a little box that they have "resolved" the complaint. It's meaningless.

DaFu

That's exactly why I keep a mini HD wireless camera hidden in my center console and pointed towards the backseats waist level. No signs posted. This helps to maintain the safety & security in my vehicle.

TXUbering

If you're doing it full time, then I would just let it go. If you're doing it part time and are bored, send Lyft an email asking them when they brought you on as an EMPLOYEE. Ask them when your benefits kick in, and how much they match on 401(k). Ask them when you can start taking advantage of your vacation days. Also, ask them when your car allowance payment is going to appear in your wages. I can imagine some dope that composes canned responses shitting themselves when they read your reply.