• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Dash cam

azhar butt

Hi. Need advice about dashcam I need to buy how is Venture N2 it’s £115 on Amazon seems quite decent but still I need some advice because I know here are so many experienced people around this forum, talk rubbish some time but still

Cabbie2B

Hi. Need advice about dashcam I need to buy how is Venture N2 it’s £115 on Amazon seems quite decent but still I need some advice because I know here are so many experienced people around this forum, talk rubbish some time but still
Seems to as decent camera mate based on what this guy saying:

#professoruber

Spend the extra money and get the Vantrue N2 Pro. You can usually find the pro on sale for around $150. I run this camera in both of my vehicles.

If you need advice, ask away.

Here is my take on the N2 Pro.
  1. HD recording front and back
  2. Night vision (I think the N2 version does not)
  3. Supports 256GB SD cards (most cameras support 32-64 GB) which is about 2-4 hours of footage). I run two 128gb cards which is about 2-3 days worth of recordings. I swap them out everyday. Any issue will usually be reported with 24 hours. Don't buy the cheap cards however I spend $20 each for Samsung Evo Select cards.
  4. Separate GPS mount is a good feature which tracks your speed and location
  5. Plugin or hardwire the camera. Hardwiring provides constant power to the camera and enables the parking mode feature which will record if it detects motion when parked
If you are looking for a camera that connects to your phone and stores in the cloud. You are looking at spending $300+ plus paying for the cloud service/storage. In my opinion, it simply is not needed based on the fact that over 6000+ rides, I have had to pull my footage on a handful of occasions. Only once was this initiated by the rider contacting Uber (tried to get out of large surge ride and said they didn't take the ride).

babasanfur

Spend the extra money and get the Vantrue N2 Pro. You can usually find the pro on sale for around $150. I run this camera in both of my vehicles.

If you need advice, ask away.

Here is my take on the N2 Pro.
  1. HD recording front and back
  2. Night vision (I think the N2 version does not)
  3. Supports 256GB SD cards (most cameras support 32-64 GB) which is about 2-4 hours of footage). I run two 128gb cards which is about 2-3 days worth of recordings. I swap them out everyday. Any issue will usually be reported with 24 hours. Don't buy the cheap cards however I spend $20 each for Samsung Evo Select cards.
  4. Separate GPS mount is a good feature which tracks your speed and location
  5. Plugin or hardwire the camera. Hardwiring provides constant power to the camera and enables the parking mode feature which will record if it detects motion when parked
If you are looking for a camera that connects to your phone and stores in the cloud. You are looking at spending $300+ plus paying for the cloud service/storage. In my opinion, it simply is not needed based on the fact that over 6000+ rides, I have had to pull my footage on a handful of occasions. Only once was this initiated by the rider contacting Uber (tried to get out of large surge ride and said they didn't take the ride).
Thanks professor

Fostel

But....

There might be an issue. Recently when I had licencing I took of my old Transcdent.
Why? I’ve heard but not sure 100% if true that NSL fail you if you have dash cam if not on this list:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/approved-cctv-and-incident-recording-devices.pdf

Is it true or not, didn’t wanna experiment.
They didn't fail me but they unplugged the dash before inspection. We had a talk about it, he won't listen that dash is for insurance purposes, he said that TFL make them be 'tougher' but I haven't found any new regulation about CCTV. I bet it is unlawful. Was about to question TFL about it but I found them waste of time.
Maybe he let me out, because he broke 4 lines of my defogger!!

Last edited:

R.M.Ahmad

You can find a cheaper dashcam with super night vision. If it doesn't have night vision, don't use it.

Gnabry

Yeh I’ve got the vantrue n2 pro. Really good dash cam especially the interior infrared camera.
When comes to inspection I’m just going to take it off and hide wiring to save any reason for them to fail it etc.

Cabbie2B

They didn't fail me but they unplugged the dash before inspection. We had a talk about it, he won't listen that dash is for insurance purposes, he said that TFL make them be 'tougher' but I haven't found any new regulation about CCTV. I bet it is unlawful. Was about to question TFL about it but I found them waste of time.
As you mentioned that, taking off rear roundel they eff 3 lines of mine. But now too late as clocked it few days ago.

Yeh I’ve got the vantrue n2 pro. Really good dash cam especially the interior infrared camera.
When comes to inspection I’m just going to take it off and hide wiring to save any reason for them to fail it etc.
I just took off camera, left cradle and cable.

soTuga

@Cabbie007 has the vantrue camera, have a look at his footage, it looks decent enough and with infrared/ night vision.

haseeb

I have been researching for the dash cam too lately and i choose Blackvue dr750s.
Vantrue n2 pro is good but it doesn’t allow you to see vedios on the phone.
If that doesn’t matter to you than Vantrue n2 or n2 pro both are good options. As far as i know they both have night vision which is must. Good luck

NightRyder

I have been researching for the dash cam too lately and i choose Blackvue dr750s.
If that doesn’t matter to you than Vantrue n2 or n2 pro both are good options. As far as i know they both have night vision which is must. Good luck
On sale in halfords atm for 260 2ch! Cheapest iv seen it!

Gnabry

What I’ve done is brought a iPhone micro sd card reader brought for about £6-7 on eBay and downloaded app so I can watch and download which ever videos I need. I had the nextbase 512gw which is good too but wanted vantrue n2 pro for interior camera.

KD_LA

Author

R.M.Ahmad

He removed mine because he said it would obstruct my view and compliance officers might report me to tfl.

Last year my insurance made it conditional but not this year.

UberSlash

But....

There might be an issue. Recently when I had licencing I took of my old Transcdent.
Why? I’ve heard but not sure 100% if true that NSL fail you if you have dash cam if not on this list:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/approved-cctv-and-incident-recording-devices.pdf

Is it true or not, didn’t wanna experiment.
I’ve got the 2 channel BlackVue DR750s and on my last inspection which was back in Feb I got through it without any issues. Unless the requirements have changed since Feb we should be ok

haseeb

What I’ve done is brought a iPhone micro sd card reader brought for about £6-7 on eBay and downloaded app so I can watch and download which ever videos I need. I had the nextbase 512gw which is good too but wanted vantrue n2 pro for interior camera.
Does that sc card reader import vedios to iphone ? Which app do i need to download.