Dash Cam - Resolved

Johnny Walker

It's been almost 9 months since I started looking for a decent dash cam that records inside/out HD with "true" infrared (IR) for interior recording. I was going to buy Falcon Zero F360, but what I recently found is just amazing.

We all know how important having a dash cam as a rideshare driver is so let's not go there. I've been using D-Cam with Unidon from day one but that thing only records outside, 1080p but watching some samples on my 1080p TV never satisfied me.

I was thinking about getting Vantrue N2 Dual Cam. The audio and video quality on that unit is great (maybe the best for $150) but the only issue I had was the missing IR (infrared) for interior recording. I found out the interior recording is useless (dark as hell at night) after watching 10's of reviews online. I decided to get that unit and add IR leds myself so I jumped on their website to call them up to see if the unit will perform well with external IR till I found out in July 2017, Vantrue has released N2 Pro!

This thing is exactly what I was looking for. I bought it a few hours ago and I thought sharing a few links might help some of you to make a decision on your future dash cam.

I found this guy on YouTube and his review with that amazing BMW M5 plus his promo code which saved me $30 made my day.

If you decided to buy this unit, get a Samsung 64GB Evo SD Card since the unit doesn't come with one and that's the recommended SD card by Vantrue. Amazon will give you that option before checkout.

Amazon link:
http://amzn.to/2vsJrC9

Promo Code ($30):
N2PROCAM

Youtube Review:

Product Detail:
http://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/29.html

SD and the Unit total price:
$195.11 in CA with $30 discount

Cheers,

The Gift of Fish

Looks ok but I'd be wary of any company that misspells its own name at the top of its website.

Screenshot_20170921-045706.png

The Gift of Fish

I don't think any dash cams on earth could beat this thing for that price.
BlacVue DR650S-2ch IR $420 and Thinkware F770 +$400
I might get one of these. It would need to record 10 hours at a time, though,given that a false complaint from pax can come in days after the ride and there's a need to save entire shifts to hard drive in order to defend against that.

NHDriver

I was looking at that cam but when I found out windshield mounts are not permitted where I live I went with the FalconZero360HD cam.

Johnny Walker

I might get one of these. It would need to record 10 hours at a time, though,given that a false complaint from pax can come in days after the ride and there's a need to save entire shifts to hard drive in order to defend against that.

Actually the guy in that video gave wrong information about the recording time. He said, if you turn the loop recording off, it will record for 25 minutes which is not correct.

If you disable loop recording (off) on a 64gb, it will record non stop for 4-5 hours (based on what Vantrue claims which makes sense) that is awesome for road trips and also if you carry 2 memory cards you can record the whole shift while fubering. Most of the cams out there come with loop recording only

NHDriver

Actually the guy in that video gave wrong information about the recording time. He said, if you turn the loop recording off, it will record for 25 minutes which is not correct.

If you disable loop recording (off) on a 64gb, it will record non stop for 4-5 hours (based on what Vantrue claims which makes sense) that is awesome for road trips and also if you carry 2 memory cards you can record the whole shift while fubering. Most of the cams out there come with loop recording only
Loop recording is actually better. You can still record non-stop at say 10 min clips and never run out of space on your SD Card like you will if you do not loop. Also, if you have to save or upload a file it takes less time plus easier to manage what you want to keep vs delete. You need a clip because of false accusations, it's less than 1GB per 10 min clip. IMO much better.

Johnny Walker

I was looking at that cam but when I found out windshield mounts are not permitted where I live I went with the FalconZero360HD cam.

Falcon is not a bad unit at all. I don't know where you live but you could ziptie N2 Pro to your rear view mirror or come up with some diy installation.
Some people install them on the dashboard

Loop recording is actually better. You can still record non-stop at say 10 min clips and never run out of space on your SD Card like you will if you do not loop. Also, if you have to save or upload a file it takes less time plus easier to manage what you want to keep vs delete. You need a clip because of false accusations, it's less than 1GB per 10 min clip. IMO much better.

That's a good point. I'd definitely set it on 10 minutes loop for fubering. Off loop on road trips then you can add background music on it..some awesome stuff

The Gift of Fish

They are illegal here too, at least in the middle of the windshield where it obstructs vision, but I see so many morons driving around with this kind of setup:

Loop recording is actually better.... Also, if you have to save or upload a file it takes less time plus easier to manage what you want to keep vs delete. You need a clip because of false accusations, it's less than 1GB per 10 min clip. IMO much better.
That's fine if you only drive 4-5 hours at a time, but if you drive longer then the dashcam will loop and potentially record over a false complainer's ride before you get a chance to save it.

NHDriver

They are illegal here too, at least in the middle of the windshield where it obstructs vision, but I see so many morons driving around with this kind of setup:

Ya I have gotten pulled over late nite/early morning for absolutely no reason before. If I had a windshield mount I would have gotten a ticket and would have been forced to remove the cam. If I am spending the money on a cam, I don't want to be forced to remove it lol. Pluse the Falcon360 goes over your mirror. Nobody even notices I have a cam, even though I have transparent dashcam stickers on my door windows and windshield.

That's fine if you only drive 4-5 hours at a time, but if you drive longer then the dashcam will loop and potentially record over a false complainer's ride before you get a chance to save it.
I only run the cam 1 minute before pick up and turn it off after I end the ride. Have two SD Cards. If you run it off loop, you have to save your entire day, every day, in order to use the card again or buy an SD Card for every day you drive. That makes no sense and would be very expensive. For me, loop, save what I want from that day in 10min increments. plug the SD card back in my cam and off we go and let it overwrite what i have already saved. Non Loop you have to save the enitre 4/5 hours then delete the entire day or reformat that card every day. you need a file on loop each 10 min is time stamped on the actual file so easy to find and send.

Johnny Walker

Nothing against anyone who has ^ that kinda setup anywhere in the world, but I don't consider them as professional drivers that actually enjoy driving.
You should only have one thing on your windshield and that's nothing.

It's funny you mentioned that, I was questioned by a cop or something like that about my LAX permit at the airport a few days ago. I always put it on the dash with the Uber thing next to it. I told the cop it blocks my view and it feels nasty so I don't stick them up there. He just walked away

NHDriver

IMG_0230.JPG
Nothing against anyone who has ^ that kinda setup anywhere in the world, but I don't consider them as professional drivers that actually enjoy driving.
You should only have one thing on your windshield and that's nothing.

It's funny you mentioned that, I was questioned by a cop or something like that about my LAX permit at the airport a few days ago. I always put it on the dash with the Uber thing next to it. I told the cop it blocks my view and it feels nasty so I don't stick them up there. He just walked away
How it looks in my car, nice and clean no wires plus easy to position the cams at different angles that you can't do as well on the N2 Pro.

IMG_0230.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 83

NHDriver

That's a good looking setup. You made the right decision with getting Falcon specially with all those laws and rules over there; I dig that design.
Thanks. Ya it is a clean set up, most people do not even notice it's a cam. Quality is decent, IR at nite for inside is pretty good as well.

mandreyka

Don't get too hung up on the infrared mine don't have it but work well with low light.

The light from your cell phone will provide enough light to see pretty well also you can turn on your domelight if things get weird

There is enough light in the city with all the street lights and whatever to light up the inside of your car pretty good

NHDriver

Don't get too hung up on the infrared mine don't have it but work well with low light.

The light from your cell phone will provide enough light to see pretty well also you can turn on your domelight if things get weird

There is enough light in the city with all the street lights and whatever to light up the inside of your car pretty good
That's great if you can get away with it. It depends where you mount your phone. My phone is mounted to my air vents below the radio so doesn't light up the cabin in the back. Probably better light if it's mounted higher. I need IR as well because I do a lot of suburb driving out in the woods with no street lights for miles.

Johnny Walker

Thanks. Ya it is a clean set up, most people do not even notice it's a cam. Quality is decent, IR at nite for inside is pretty good as well.

I just can't imagine driving around without having a solid IR dash cam these days with all the bs videos that are being posted left & right

We are living in a nasty world buddy. Many of the rideshare drivers are great people. They work hard and they try their best. Not all have high education, but they're real. They're fighters fighting for their family and what happens when they meet that cheap paxhole who decides to get his/her money back without giving a single damn about the future of that faithful driver? Deactivation! Like we never existed before.

You're right, you can turn that light on but I personally rather to let my solid camera do the job while I focus on managing the conversation, put them in their place and finally kick them out respectfully without getting a single scratch on my car which is my temple when I'm out there.

We need 10 of those things on every corner and we need to be worried more about the inside of the car rather than the outside these days...sadly