Damaged vehicle.

Nise

Last Saturday/Sunday morning I had 5 drunks in my car from Palm harbor to Port Richie. One of them decided to light a cigarette and burn my seat and floor. I made a report with uber and they informed me to obtain an estimate. I went to 2 auto upholstery shops and both told me due to my make/model/ & yr That the materials were only available at a dealership. So I went to the dealership and they informed me that the carpet (which is a solid intricate one piece) would have to be totally replaced and my seat would have to be completely reupholstered because the material can not be seemed. The estimate came to a total just shy of $1,800. I submitted it to uber. So we shall see (I'm not holding my breath) perhaps we should take bets on whether they will accept it or not??

CheesyMike

Last Saturday/Sunday morning I had 5 drunks in my car from Palm harbor to Port Richie. One of them decided to light a cigarette and burn my seat and floor. I made a report with uber and they informed me to obtain an estimate. I went to 2 auto upholstery shops and both told me due to my make/model/ & yr That the materials were only available at a dealership. So I went to the dealership and they informed me that the carpet (which is a solid intricate one piece) would have to be totally replaced and my seat would have to be completely reupholstered because the material can not be seemed. The estimate came to a total just shy of $1,800. I submitted it to uber. So we shall see (I'm not holding my breath) perhaps we should take bets on whether they will accept it or not??
Watch out. 2 different drivers I know where deactivated because they argued for clean up fees that uber refused to bill.

Nise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watch out. 2 different drivers I know where deactivated because they argued for clean up fees that uber refused to bill.
They haven't as of yet and they have filed a claim with their (Ubers) insurance company. Just waiting on their adjuster to contact me. I also got in writing they won't at anytime be reporting this to my insurance company. Believe me I've already spoken to an attorney.

Nise

Their insurance company just came back with an estimate that's only 25% of the original estimate. What would you do??

Rat

Their insurance company just came back with an estimate that's only 25% of the original estimate. What would you do??
They have to specify a shop that will do the work for the price they quoted.

Nise

They have to specify a shop that will do the work for the price they quoted.
Good to know because I went to 2 upholstery shops and they both told me the fabric was only available at the dealership. I'm going to call the adjuster tomorrow and see what's what.

jasper54c

My question is, did they ask if they could smoke in your car? If not, why would you condone that kind of behaivor?

Nise

Apparently. We as drivers (if a claim is made) are responsible for a $1,000 deductible for the riders misbehavior. Why is it they will charge them for vomitting in a vehicle but when they cause some other kind of damage the driver is responsible for the deductible?? This is f*%$ing ridiculous.

tohunt4me

Take the money,buy a seat cover,buy floor mats ,and pocket the rest.

Nise

Take the money,buy a seat cover,buy floor mats ,and pocket the rest.
That's just it. There is no money. I have to take it to be repaired pay $1,000 out of pocket and then they pay the rest directly to the repair shop. It's a no win.

tohunt4me

That's just it. There is no money. I have to take it to be repaired pay $1,000 out of pocket and then they pay the rest directly to the repair shop. It's a no win.
You could probably buy a back bench seat from salvage for $200.00 or less,in perfect condition.they just clip in.

Carpet can be ordered over the Internet.
Will require removal of front seats and center console.
Carpet should be available for ,$39.00- $89.00
( you can do a quick patch by cutting out the rear section,and installing only the rear section,the seam will never be seen tucked under the front seats )

Leather seat covers are available,and can be patched if needed.

Seek out an independent upholstery repair person.many used car dealers can point you in their direction.
Depending on size of burn,a patch may be available.

Last edited:

Nise

You could probably buy a back bench seat from salvage for $200.00 or less,in perfect condition.they just clip in.

Carpet can be ordered over the Internet.
Will require removal of front seats and center console.
Carpet should be available for ,$39.00- $89.00

Leather seat covers are available,and can be patched if needed.

Seek out an independent upholstery repair person.many used car dealers can point you in their direction.
Depending on size of burn,a patch may be available.
Nope. It's a solid one price floor mat specific to the vehicle that's intricate due to the sliders because of a third row and the material on the seat is a special water resistant material with one price ridged and the other piece is smooth. Can't be seemed or patched without looking ridiculous. Also they don't pay you directly. They pay the repair shop after you pay the first thousand.

tohunt4me

OK
Cheapest route.
Cut circle around burn.( or square)
Cut same size patch from area of carpet under seat.
Gorilla glue patch into removed burn area.

The seat is bad.
Two textures were damaged.
Smooth and corded.

You could try an overlay.
Find close color match at fabric shop.cut fabric strip length of seam,a few inches wide.spray back with headliner adhesive.patch will eventually come loose from wear.

Call salvage yards,get quote on back seat bench in your color for your make,model,year of car.
Call them all for best price.

The strip patch method will get you by cheaply for a while.