• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Damaged My Car Last Night Following Uber GPS Down DC Alleys

Lyft-O-Maniac

Damaged My Car Last Night Following Uber GPS Down DC Alleys ..

This is so ridiculous.. Uber routes us through every alley in DC, through hospital parking lots, University parking lots AND WORSE, down permanently blocked Capitol Hill roads.

Ubers canned response to delete the app and reinstall.. Or restart the app. I continue to tell them it's not an app or software issue, but it's a GPS road designator issue.. Rider is given a pickup time with all of these closed or non roads factored in when it takes 2x to 3x longer to get to them because we have to go blocks away to get to then. Last night I began canceling any pickup that takes me down an alley..

And this alley Raccoon, the size of a medium dog, attacked my car too.. Then Tried to jump through my sunroof to get me.. @@@ me off.. A mess!

Attachments

New2This

This is so ridiculous.. Uber routes us through every alley in DC, through hospital parking lots, University parking lots AND WORSE, down permanently blocked Capitol Hill roads.

Ubers canned response to delete the app and reinstall.. Or restart the app. I continue to tell them it's not an app or software issue, but it's a GPS road designator issue.. Rider is given a pickup time with all of these closed or non roads factored in when it takes 2x to 3x longer to get to them because we have to go blocks away to get to then. Last night I began canceling any pickup that takes me down an alley..

And this alley Raccoon, the size of a medium dog, attacked my car too.. Then Tried to jump through my sunroof to get me.. @@@ me off.. A mess!
I will savage Uber anytime I can but no offense this is on you not Uber.

1. It's still your responsibility to make sure your vehicle can fit where the GPS says to go.

2. Why are you using Uber's GPS in the first place?

kbrown

Why are you using Uber GPS? Dood, you kind of brought it on yourself. That's like going into McDonald's and asking for a tofuburger.

UberPotomac

Not piling up on you.Use GPS as a guide. You do not have to go thru the ally. Go to next corner and turn.I got it. When I started I was too concern about what UBER will say.
Change your mindset. We ARE HERE TO MILK THIS COW.Work for YOUR BENEFIT. Cancel cheat, pick and choose, shuffle as needed to get to your goal.UBER will be there tomorrow with or without any of us.

HPClays

You have to have common sense to do most jobs. It's true driving a pretend marginally-insured amateur cab more than most other jobs.

Nats121

Using Uber GPS is your problem my friend. Switch to Google maps
Uber GPS sucks at routing but it's better than Google at giving the correct pickup and dropoff addresses.

You can't do Eats (no loss unless there's a decent incentive) without Uber GPS because Google gives the correct dropoff address less than 1/3 the time.

Waze doesn't give the destination address at all when used with uber.

Google routes thru LOTS of alleys.

Alidean

Uber GPS sucks at routing but it's better than Google at giving the correct pickup and dropoff addresses.

You can't do Eats (no loss unless there's a decent incentive) without Uber GPS because Google gives the correct dropoff address less than 1/3 the time.

I dunno about this. I've been using Google maps since it came out and ubering with it for almost 4 years and it's pretty few and far between I get pulled into alleys anymore. Maps also have police and camera traps now.

calimade

1. Waze.
1a. Don't drive places you car can't fit. Some of the alley shortcuts are very useful some aren't.
2. Set your Waze to avoid difficult intersections.
3. When starting a ride select route.
4. Pick a route that meets your earnings needs.
5. Be thankful for the speed cameras you avoided.
6. Switch back to Uber's app once you are close.
7. None of this applies for Uber pool

Nats121

I dunno about this. I've been using Google maps since it came out and ubering with it for almost 4 years and it's pretty few and far between I get pulled into alleys anymore. Maps also have police and camera traps now.
I've been directed into lots of alleys on Eats orders.

If the customer lives in the back of a building, it's almost automatic for Google to either navigate to a back alley or parking lot, or a ficticious address on the next street.

Obviously some of the blame lies with the customer for being sloppy with their pin drop, but nevertheless, you can't do Eats without using the uber app for the correct address.

But I fault Google for not using the front entrance as the default address.

kbrown

Yeah, because Waze feeds Google Maps all that info. But the real time information comes from Waze.
Post automatically merged:

I'm not sure what you mean, but Waze gives the destination every time, and it also gives you alternatives for the routes so you can choose the route that's going to make you the most money. It also shows on the map an alternate route using dots and tells you how many more minutes you would lose (basically, the longer route) if you deviated from the route. It's a godsend.