Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Customer spit on me at drop off

18K views 273 replies 118 participants last post by  Black Car 
#1 ·
It really pains me sharing this story. I not only have been delivering over 20 years but I am also a consultant and develop delivery systems. So I have a lot of experience with deliveries.

I get this delivery in the suburbs going into "the city". The same city they have been having these protests and looting. I am white and went into a predominantly black neighborhood. I went to a mixed high school many years ago and going into black neighborhoods don't bother me and I honestly don't see color. Its just not something I think about when meeting someone or judge.

Anyway, this customer ordered from IHOP and it was a late morning delivery. I got to the door with my typical smile and shpeal. Told them I have some delicious food for them. My typical show production at the door. The app had instructions that said, "cash tip!!!" so after handing them the food they seemed like they wanted to go in and end the interaction. I stopped them for a minute and showed them my phone and said, "Hey I wanted to ask you. I noticed on the app you had instructions that you may be providing a cash tip. Are you doing that in cash today or are you opting out?". Mind you, I have done this countless times for years with no problems so don't comment about how I do things regarding asking for tips (thanks). She replied, "Oh yea. Sorry, we don't tip white people". As shocked as I was she said that, I still have the mentality of how other customers tip more and it all works out in the end. So with that I smiled and said, "Ok thats fine, I respect that. Enjoy your food and have a great day".

I turn around and I am walking away and I hear her clear her throat like she is trying to bring up some phlegm then I heard her spit and I felt a little flick on my back and I felt a went spot. I immediately turned around, grabbed my shirt, and tried to spin it around to check. I then confirmed that there was spit on the back of my shirt. Not wanting to create a confrontation, I simply said, "Ok, I am leaving but why did you do that?" and she laughed and said, "Leave now or I am going to tell my brothers in the house you are still here." and she said it in a very disrespectful and entitled tone.

I remained silent and walked back my car, removed my shirt and threw it in on the floor in the back then left. Once I got out of the city, I pulled into a parking lot, popped my trunk, and put on one of my backup shirts. However, I was and still am very upset and angry this whole thing happened.

See less See more
#256 ·
If the story is true, then you need to assume the worst in every transaction.
If you are a minority be extra careful and if you are not a minority be extra careful. People are hooked on the Social Media and the news👍
[/QUOTE
It really pains me sharing this story. I not only have been delivering over 20 years but I am also a consultant and develop delivery systems. So I have a lot of experience with deliveries.

I get this delivery in the suburbs going into "the city". The same city they have been having these protests and looting. I am white and went into a predominantly black neighborhood. I went to a mixed high school many years ago and going into black neighborhoods don't bother me and I honestly don't see color. Its just not something I think about when meeting someone or judge.

Anyway, this customer ordered from IHOP and it was a late morning delivery. I got to the door with my typical smile and shpeal. Told them I have some delicious food for them. My typical show production at the door. The app had instructions that said, "cash tip!!!" so after handing them the food they seemed like they wanted to go in and end the interaction. I stopped them for a minute and showed them my phone and said, "Hey I wanted to ask you. I noticed on the app you had instructions that you may be providing a cash tip. Are you doing that in cash today or are you opting out?". Mind you, I have done this countless times for years with no problems so don't comment about how I do things regarding asking for tips (thanks). She replied, "Oh yea. Sorry, we don't tip white people". As shocked as I was she said that, I still have the mentality of how other customers tip more and it all works out in the end. So with that I smiled and said, "Ok thats fine, I respect that. Enjoy your food and have a great day".

I turn around and I am walking away and I hear her clear her throat like she is trying to bring up some phlegm then I heard her spit and I felt a little flick on my back and I felt a went spot. I immediately turned around, grabbed my shirt, and tried to spin it around to check. I then confirmed that there was spit on the back of my shirt. Not wanting to create a confrontation, I simply said, "Ok, I am leaving but why did you do that?" and she laughed and said, "Leave now or I am going to tell my brothers in the house you are still here." and she said it in a very disrespectful and entitled tone.

I remained silent and walked back my car, removed my shirt and threw it in on the floor in the back then left. Once I got out of the city, I pulled into a parking lot, popped my trunk, and put on one of my backup shirts. However, I was and still am very upset and angry this whole thing happened.
i would gladly take another delivery to her house and drop a few spits on her food before handing it to her!
I'm so sorry that it happened to you but there's still some very decent colour ppl out there, shame on the lowlife garbage that is pestering our society

#13 · (Edited)
Unfortunately a lot of people are feeling emboldened by the riots as of late and it's spilling over into overt racism in everyday situations. My gf got called "white b" at the store the other day (again). These people that are dishing this shit out need to reassess their lives immediately and realize they are not acting right. They are disgusting, quite frankly.

One thing I'd never do is pester a customer about a tip, but I'm still sorry this happened to you. Really saddens me to see all this going on. We need to be better than this.

#18 ·
Bad advice. We aren't out here deliverimg to do customers and the apps a favor by delivering their food for $2 and $3 minus expenses and income tax. Again, I have been delivering over 20 years and develop delivery systems for restaurants large and small. A delivery driver should always inquire on a no tip delivery if the customer is intending to tip at the door or not.

With that said, I believe in my original post, I requested we don't bring this tipping thing up. I am not in the mood to go off topic and get in a pissing match about it being my experience and education on the matter trumps most other OPs. My thesis for my grad degree was on gratituity and the psychology behind it. So, lets stay on topic and if you want to discuss it, make another thread somewhere about it and let me know and I will be happy to engage. Thanks.

#21 ·
Just because you don’t do it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. If it works for him let him do it his way, that’s the problem today you can’t have an opinion everyone has the answer and if you don’t agree with it you are wrong. I do deliveries and I never ask for tips but who am I to tell someone else how to do THEIR JOB. No one should be assaulted while making a delivery, especially during a pandemic.

#27 ·
You are obviously correct on an individual level.

But on a broader level, it is hurtful that the media storm is ostensibly about fixing racism. And here we have a person being discriminated against for the colour of his skin, but would be dismissed as insignificant by many of those causing the storm.

Which IMO, is why equality doesn't come from emphasizing the cause of any particular group, or through having one group kneel to another etc. It comes from emphasizing that ALL human beings are equal, and deserve equal treatment by each other and by the law.

#28 ·
Oh yea. Sorry, we don't tip white people"
Wtf.

I wouldnt have been as polite. Woulda rolled my eyes and go, hypocrite or thanks for fueling racism.

Had she spit, still, I would have taken off my shirt and with the spit, rubbed it on her.

and if she attacks, I'll then defend myself.

#214 ·

So that would be considered assault. I would have placed a call to the police from the car and pressed charges. Additionally I'd do everything possible to get them banned from using uber eats by reporting their actions including a police report backing up the incident.

Wtf.

I wouldnt have been as polite. Woulda rolled my eyes and go, hypocrite or thanks for fueling racism.

Had she spit, still, I would have taken off my shirt and with the spit, rubbed it on her.

and if she attacks, I'll then defend myself.
I'd of said I guess I deserved that for spitting on your pancakes. Now we're even.

#31 ·
I get this delivery in the suburbs going into "the city". The same city they have been having these protests and looting. I am white and went into a predominantly black neighborhood.
Today's forcast: Cloudy with a chance of drive-by.

Water Leg Product Dress Organism

#33 · (Edited)
I feel very bad for the black lady who in some ways lives in her own world.
Not seeing outside, not seeing she may have in her own experince had a right to lash out. But sadly doing it to a random person based only on the color of their skin. Seems to be turning on a lot of people.
No matter how she saw her white looking delivery person as first availble to feel her wrath. This type of behavior in the 21th Century is just jot tolerated.
You should not spit at people, curse at people or attempt to commit violent acts against people unless your defending yourself on a case by case basis.
George Floyd worked with the officer that killed him. So we will never know how helpless he felt that although equal at the club. In the real world the cop now had power where Poor George did not.
Why did he buck in the back seat?
Why did a routine call turn into a nightmare that caused this man although not perfect to lose his life?
See it is the unknown part that makes when people lash out hard to reach them because so much is just left up to the viewer to work out then knowing all the facts.
Im sure if she knew you better or there was more diolouge in why spitting at people is wrong no matter what.
She would not have done it.
But sad to say many blacks and whites and even lationos are being self isolated based only on the color of their skin and nationality.
Never getting a chance to gain u understanding of the other side.
One part that makes this posters tale of reverse racism is: was she dead on and is the poster a racist? That with the shoe on the other foot and some lost minority of color on the other side of town where the poster felt more comfortable.
Would if a mob was chasing him for one thing or another even just suspicion.
What would this Eats Driver have done?
Stopped it?
Looked away?
Or
Maybe jumped right in.
That was part of I think the message this lady although so wrong no matter what the drivers beliefs might be if tested.
For that moment she became the very thing she said she did not like.
All part of how this works.
I hope Mr. Driver next time be smart.
Stick to deliveries that you feel more comfortable with.
As out of this very bad thing that happened maybe the lady was warning you in her own way.
To becareful mr. white guy. No tip, no 10 dollar ride is worth your life!
Im sure a message many are telling their own loved ones. Even when dealing with police.
Just be mindful of the few bad ones out there and don't make trouble or feel to free to do or go where ever you want all the time.
Good luck to you as a delivery driver and maybe stay out of that part of town for now.

#35 ·
Spitting on someone is an assault. Now add the pandemic to it.

If it weren't for the fact of the protests and rioting (two separate things!) going on, keeping the cops so busy, I would say take your shirt, story, and delivery info to the local police station.

And also contact Uber. Do this whether or not you go to the cops. This bish will probably try to get credit by reporting you as racist, or something.

Another hint: keep your phone with you when you deliver from now on. Get an app, if you don't already have one, to record any exchange you have with customers... while in NJ, anyway. NJ is a single-party consent state, so this is perfectly legal. Not so in PA, though. In PA all parties to the conversation must consent.

#40 ·
Except that remember out in IN PUBLIC, you can record anywhere without consent because there is no expectation of privacy.
You could even record her at the door because unless there was a big fence, she could still be seen by anyone passing by.
In fact, if she had her door open, you could even legally record inside her house.

The common rule is there must be a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Open windows, garage doors etc means no reasonable expectation of privacy.
So, if someone is, for example, having sex in their garage, with the garage door open, and you can see them from the street, it's now a public exhibition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.